Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a coolant leak in my radiator so i fixed that went to start it and nothing, the nutreal light comes on with key like normal, when i push my start button i get nothing no click crank nutreal light doesnt dim out or anything, if i jump my starter solenoid it cranks fine still wont fire, i checked for spark and nothing, i unplugged the recitifier jumped soenoid still no spark. i dont remember but is the solenoid suppose to click when cyceling the key on and off. new battery, checked main ground and small ground wire all good. kill switch and park brake are all gutted after market switch for push button start (took off and touched bare wires together to elimanate push button being bad) no idea were to go from here. and ideas? thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like a wire is cut or unplugged, may take apart the wire harness and see whats up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found a red wire with black tracer off cdi that was worn through the insulation but other than that wiring haness looks good, cleaned all grounds, unplugged and plugged in every connector. still nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
then I would check to see if you have power to anything related to the push start, if everything is ok then you may have a failed component

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i go from the post on the starter solenoid to the hot on the button i get power anywhere else nothing, no power to the starter or to the button anywhere else just the battery side of the starter solenoid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also i did thake a led light and wire it from the ground on the switch, Black (hot on switch is blue) and a yellow with red runner for the positive or power of my light which was in the same plug as the black and yellow with red. (wire was powered when key was on) could i have fried something this way? all other wires from cut off in this plug along time ago when i gutted headlights to shave fenders and all wireing for them plus the pbs, so bars were gutted too. could my led light have caused a problem in the grounding part of that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I seriously doubt u messed up anything doing that, u can also look up wiring diagram to see if there is any fuses are fusible links in the circuit you could have blown if there is any, I wouldn't worry about that
if you have power to the post on your selonoid and to the signal wire that should be coming from your switch I think, then it should work, put 12v to the signal wire on the selonoid if it don't work then get a new selonoid

·
Registered
14 Posts
hope you got it fixed by now, but yes it would crank over

·
Registered
2 Posts
working on my buddies 01 660r currently. His bike was running great. We stopped to look at a map and shut both our bikes off via the key switch. My bike fired right up and away I went. His is another story. He turned the key back to the on position and the bike is completely dead. He has a good battery. If you jump the starter relay the bike will crank but with key ON theres no lights up by the handlebars. I am new to these bikes but I have worked on cars and other electronics for several years. The manual I got is helpful but I feel like I am getting no where. Is it logical that the key switch and start mash button are not receiving power because the starter relay is toast? I am used to working with wiring diagrams but I am new to yamaha's style. The one thing I have found so far is the pick up coils on the stator assembly are about a 1/2 ohm lower than specified by Yamaha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That red/black wire is the issue. It supplies 12V to the CDI from the run/stop switch. Without that 12V the CDI won't do anything.

If you applied 12V directly to the yellow/black wire on the solenoid you can damage a transistor in the CDI - if 12V at that wire drops to 0V (or close) when you press the start button this is an issue. Blue/black should go from 12V to 0V when start button is pressed, but yellow/black should remain at 12V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts