Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I went for a ride and on the way back from the trails it started storming really bad and on the way back to the trailor there is a long straight where I opened it up through all 5 gears. I parked it for a few minutes until the storm passed over and when I went to start it up to pull it on the trailor the starter spun over really fast like it wasnt engaging. I figured the starter one-way must have went but there was no warning, I stalled out a few times on the trails and it would start right back up flawlessly. I went ahead and purchased a new one-way and I installed everything back and now it will not do anything at all, I only hear a click coming from I believe the solenoid under the seat. I didnt take notice to how the brushes on the starter itself were so Im not sure if there is a specific way they are supposed to go. I would like to repair it myself instead of taking it to the stealership. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
what is the voltage of the battery? A clicking starter relay is generally low battery voltage or poor battery/ground connections. Did you reconnect the ground wire on the upper part of the stator cover after you repaired the one-way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing so I charged the battery and had the same outcome. I believe I did connect it back, I will double check when I get home from work. Anything else it could be? How are the brushes on the actual starter are supposed to be arranged?

·
Registered
408 Posts
did you disassemble the starter? the brushes just sit in their respective housings in the end of the starter motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took the starter back apart and it was the brushes, I installed them correctly and it works now. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
did the brushes get jammed up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah they sure did man. I needed 4 hands to get them back in there right. Is there an easier way to get them aligned in case I have to ever do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts