Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of advantages can one expect from a 14t to a 15t? does this swap make first gear more useful?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't know what kind of riding you do, but I tried the 15T and went back to the 14T. I do mainly trails & woods riding, I like the low 1st for climbing hills and going over stuff. On the faster trails, I found myself in an awkward spot betweek 2nd & 3rd a lot, found myself doing more shifting in and out of corners. I had just a slip on pipe, gytr intake, & pcIII at the time. I'm thinking of trying it again since my hcII and full exhaust upgrade, +7 hp on the dyno from the last try!

I also found myself wheelieing a lot more with the 15T as well, don't know why :cunfuz: Maybe it's because I was getting more of that power to the ground and not spinning so much.

You'll have a noticeable increase in top speed too if you are looking for that!

I didn't like it, but you may love it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also tried it (15t) in the dunes with only pcIII air box mod and Phoenix tip on stock exhaust. It's just too much gear for that much HP I could not use 5th at all.But, it make the space between gears a little further, I liked that but will need to increase HP to Carry the taller gear in the sand.

Mr.Pitts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If I could wheelie more (hook up) that would be great. I just did a BIG 2 with full exhaust and dynatek Fi controler and I cannot hook up anymore with my stock tires. I just ordered a 15T from TQS so I can't wait to try it. I prolly wont go riding till I get my FCI on too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im looking for more speed as the trails that im riding in are old logging roads and such...i have to keep up with all my buddies on their 450 dirtbikes....i find that the first couple of gears are much too close for me and find myself spinning most of the time because i only weigh in at 150 lbs...im hoping the 15t helps this...and id like my bike to be able to wheelie a bit better...the big 3 setup with the 15t will be interesting...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
im looking for more speed as the trails that im riding in are old logging roads and such...i have to keep up with all my buddies on their 450 dirtbikes....i find that the first couple of gears are much too close for me and find myself spinning most of the time because i only weigh in at 150 lbs...im hoping the 15t helps this...and id like my bike to be able to wheelie a bit better...the big 3 setup with the 15t will be interesting...
I think you will like it with those conditions.

·
Kuwait All Stars
234 Posts
I recently switched to a 15T and noticed a bigger top end (from 134km to 141km). Wheelies are a bit easier now also.
This was great for me I ride desert terrain.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I love the 15t gearing i ride pretty hardcore trails. Tons more pull IMO. And i can stay in 2nd gear 80 percent of the time in tight trails only drop to first when I'm near stopped. Then i just flat out rips when u get into some open space. With your mods I think u should def try it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I gave the 15t a try about a month ago and absolutely couldnt stand it but in our trails i was used to riding 3rd most of the time and 4th sometimes. With the 15t i was switching between 2nd and 3rd way way to much for my liking 3rd was not enough rpms and 2nd was revving the snot out of an already low rpm motor. But i did notic it had a much more tractable power band and picked up much needed top speed.But the dynatek ignition takes the speed limiter out so that will not be a problem any more. I think after porting and high comp piston it will work much better. For the 7 dollars i paid i said i would try it and did so i always have so when i gain more top end rpms i can put the 15t back on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
where can I get a 15t from?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
where can I get a 15t from?
Rocky Mountain for sure (where I got mine), prolly Motosport or Magic Racing too. I bet you can get one from one of the site sponsors too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love my 15T. I do all kinds of riding; trails, some mx, drags, and dunes. That was the first mod I did after the big 3, and even in super technical rocky stuff, I didn't have any problems. I think it basically comes down to what you feel comfortable with once you put it on. For about $25 you can get a Renthal, and if you don't like it, I'm sure you could get rid of it pretty easily.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive ridden my bike once since i installed my 15t and i love it so far...i only got like one hour on it but so far i love it alot more that the stock gearing...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some of you guys in the middle, ever gave any thought to switching a rear sprocket? Usually 1 in the front is the same as 3 in the back. In the past, I always have played with the rears to really fine tune where I want to be. Sometimes a full tooth in the front is too much.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of you guys in the middle, ever gave any thought to switching a rear sprocket? Usually 1 in the front is the same as 3 in the back. In the past, I always have played with the rears to really fine tune where I want to be. Sometimes a full tooth in the front is too much.

A 15T front sprocket has been a very popular and inexpensive way to play with gearing ...so far for me it was the correct choice...as for many others aswell...like i said i only rode a little with it on but from wehat i did ride i noticed a huge difference in the torque curve...first gear is a little more useful and second gear has that little extra torqy pull to it..3 rd gear well...its perfect...im just waiting to see how much extra speed ive gained from this:rockon:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Obviously your mods make a difference on the gearing, but also rider weight. With my setup and only weighing 165 the quads rips pretty good, and the 15T works nice. If i was 245 or significantly heavier I could see where the 15T might not be pulling hard enough with MY mods.

·
Registered
305 Posts
can a 3 mod with a 15t wheelie a 190lb rider? if so its in the cart

·
Registered
198 Posts
When drag racing up Oregon sand dunes w/15t, do you take off in 1st or 2nd?

·
Registered
694 Posts
One thing thats a HUGE factor is rear tire size. I use 22" Haulers with the 14 tooth and its perfect. The 15t didnt work well with the larger rear paddles.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts