Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im thinking about doing it. Since the quad for it has to be thought out from the ground to the grips in a new fashion that is reliable, fast, strong, comfortable with a fuel capacity that has to be custom built, I wanted to reach out for input. Here's is a ROUGH (I mean this is very incomplete) listing of what im thinking so far.

20** Dakar Build - Update January 2nd 2011

Raptor 735cc or Raptor Hybrid 897cc Enduro

Motor - (700R)

+6mm Barker Balanced Crank
54mm White Knuckle TB
Custom molded intake, outwears airbox lid, outwears filter wrap
+2 Bo Port Head
Curtis Sparks Big Core Exhaust
HD5050 Cam/ RJ Cam
Iridium plug
Nology Plug wire with anti-resistor cap
Oil Cooler
In-line radiator cooler
Dual grounding
PWR Radiator
Hinson Clutch Basket
SPAL Fan
12V OEM batteries (2)
Anti-vibe motor mounts
Titanium hardware
PC3
Dynatek Programmable IGN
KDS evac valve
Kenz Head Stud Kit
Kenz Cylinder Stud Kit
Slingshot Lockup
Ron Wood Springs
OEM clutch

Motor (Alternate) – TDM 900

PC3
Dual Grounding
PWR Radiator
In-line hose cooler
KDS Evac Valve
Oil Cooler
SPAL Fan
Stiffer springs
Head porting
12V OEM batteries (2)
Anti-vibe motor mounts
Cylinder/Head stud kits
Custom exhaust
Dual Enlarged TB (size coming soon)
Dual large K&N Filters
Custom intake piping
Gear position indicator

Cryo Treatment:

Transmission (Forks, Gear Sets, Drum, Shift Lever)
Crank Balancers (2)
Clutch Basket
Pressure Plate
Brake Rotor Hub
Sprocket Hub
Front Wheel Hubs (2)
Crankshaft

Controls -

+2 ARS anti-vibe stem
Sunline 12-way adjustable clutch lever
Sunline Front Brake Lever (Dual Brake lines)(+2)
400ex thumb throttle
Twist throttle (aluminum throttle tube)
Pro Taper Twin Wall (Fat bars)
ARS Tie Rods (+2)
Precision Steering Stabilizer
Throttle Lock

Suspension -

Exit LT Shocks
ARS FX LT +2 A-arms
+2 LSR Swingarm
GT Thunder XC Link

Suspension (Alternate) -

Sonic Spider offroad IRS kit
EXIT ST Shocks (Rear)
EXIT LT Shocks (Front)
Gusseting IRS kit

Protection -

Custom Skid Plate
Rear Rotor Guard
Rear Chain Guard

Wheels/ Tires -

OMF Wheels 11x9 (Rear)
OMF Wheels 8x10 (Front)
HiPer Pro-Fill Foam Inserts
ITP Holeshot HD 22x11x9 (Rear)
MAXXIS RAZR "2" 23x8x10 (Front)
**Tires will cater to conditions**

Drive -

Sidewinder Chain and Sprocket (gears should be designed for speed and acceleration)
Lightweight Front Wheel Hubs
Stock width hardened rear axle
Extended rear wheel hubs

Drive (Alternate) -

Sidewinder Chain and Sprocket (gears should be designed for speed and acceleration)
Lightweight Front Wheel Hubs

Lighting -

HID slim ballast
OEM headlights
LED OEM Rear Brake Light

Fuel - *objective is to create 30-50L fuel capacity*

Custom High Capacity Fuel Cell (Tank)
External pump to feed the main tank with fuel from rear subframe aux tank
Switch to toggle pump on/off/normal operation
Tank should be removable (if the pump or fittings fail, the tank can be removed to pour the fuel into the main tank)

Special Requirements -

IRITRACK Emergency Transponder/ Comms System (Special Ordered, Deposit Req)
GPS (Recieve at race, Deposit Req)
Mounts for GPS, IRITRACK, Road Book.

·
Registered
410 Posts
what does this dakar all consist of? hrs/miles/terrain etc? sounds killer though.

Do you have a stabilizer?

big bore could give you a couple more hp but not sure what compression you would want to run keeping in mind gas mileage is going to be a major issue and could limit some of the fuel choices

the Ti and cryo sounds a little excessive but if you have the coin go for it by all means.

·
Registered
62 Posts
also i think the engine is dead reliable, a good big 3 and some other mild mods are enough to keep it fast and realaible, id keep everything that makes the engine stronger but i wouldnt get into the internals so much, i wouldnt even modify compression because the hauls are longgggggggggggggggggggg, you dont need so much power. for the controls you need a support system for monitoring systems, roadbook scroller and gps, twist and thumb throttle are a must. for the rst you are right on, the secret is making the bike dead strong and realiable.

the most improtant thing you need to race the dakkar is being fit, it takes a lot of physical and mental strength to get through it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I posted this up jeangtd. All good info!

Stabilizer, yup....saw that after I hit the Post button, but was too lazy to correct it.

Killer is correct, there are sections that are lethal if you dont pay attention to your map and follow the warnings carefully. Im making flashcards right now to decipher the pictures and warnings.

I kept it low power and stayed away from boring to keep a strong cylinder and avoid head gasket issues with the larger bores. A good 727/735 can give me all I need to put some hurt on a few racers.

Ti and cryo are a necessity on those components. The terrain and climate is incredibly rough. Limited components will be Ti and cryo'd. I snapped shift shaft ends the race, a ceased gear stops the ride and a broken clutch basket wont get me very far. Im not going all that way to get stranded, I want to place (f*** winning, thats a stretch) not be life-starred.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, first glance:

Thats not a Raptor motor (or at least the cases dont match)
A-arms are +3
Tires are 22-23"
No beadlockers but 4+1 offset
axle is +3
Fuel cell off of a motorcycle or custom
Motorcycle wind deflector
+2 swinger and +4 in other pictures
taller seat
OEM lighting
dual drag style out of frame exhaust

Interesting things to consider. Im focused on the motor. Ill have to study the rulebook for a few days. That motor looks like its from a UTV or utility yami atv. Or just strange cases

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you've seen the pictures of axel's dakar raptor.

i would recommend getting in contact with him and asking to tag along with him and his team. it'll be a valuable learning experience. there's no better preparation.
If he goes in 2013 I might have to do just that. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What is the logic behind a stock axel and extended hubs?
Seems like they all have different opinions on rear tires, in both size and type.
The more groud clearance you have the less you will have to dodge smal obsticles. Over that many miles not having to twitch around every rock would really help on not wearing yourself out. Very interesting

·
Registered
62 Posts
I race 6 dakkar like races a year, been doing it for a while on a truck and going to start this year on the raptor, first race is february, 280 miles in 2 days because its rocky terrain, race 2 is 630 miles, and you have to complete them in 12 hours, and so on. my general experience and advice for this type of racing is. make sure the bike is built to finish, make sure above all nothing (or at least try) can break down, a fast bike wont win the race, a constant bike will. so make sure you can finish the race. practice navigating, because if you get lost for an hour, thats it, race lost, and it can be very tricky to handle the gps and roadbook while racing. prepare your mind and body, it can be very very easy to lose concentration and fall.

but i would say that the thing that wins these races is a bike that wont break down, not a fast one, not a tricked out one, just the one that wont break down.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
stock size axle with extender hubs can reduce weight and rotating mass. Still stays sturdy. Something I picked up from other XC research and application.

Those are many different styles of XC race. Not all are Dakar. A good versitile tire like a GBC afterburn or a ITP GNCC/ Ballance. Something for gravel and sand with bits of mud thrown in. Nothing MX related. Tire selection isnt on the list because im digging in to determine the best fit for overall performance. 6-ply though, no question

The ground clearance is the reason for the 22-23" tires front and rear. The thing I dont like is the fact that everything is up high, the rider, the excess fuel, the GPS and additional systems. Then your suspension ride height, and tires? your CG goes sky high and creates a strong possibility for rollover. Something that has to be addressed.

Jeangtd - why dont you post up more often? no pictures of your atv or anything like that? We should talk more

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh and by the way on 2011 the dakar will be 5900 miles in 15 days, this is the mom, dad and grandpa of Baja.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh and by the way on 2011 the dakar will be 5900 miles in 15 days, this is the mom, dad and grandpa of Baja.
yup, thats why robbie has never won, he can build a bad ass truck, faster than anything out there, but for hoy many miles? 1000 perhaps jajaja, i hope he does well this year, i am a big fan. the dakar is a learning experience, and i think his experience has taught him that the build has to be more relaible. hes got the driving skills, and his partner is good at navigation, but the truck, theres always something up with the truck. look at his trophy truck layout and then look at the layout of a truck like the bowler nemesis, or any truck built in europe for the dakar. then do the same exercise, look at the wayne matlock 700xx then look at the patronelli brothers raptor, 2 different bikes for 2 different applications. thats why i say that when ot comes to longggggg longgggg cross country racing where you dont know how the terrain is at the moment and you cant prerun it you better have a bike built for the general layout of the terrain and it better be bulletproof

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am also a huge Dakar follower and it is my dream to one day race it. The fuel cells and the front base for the roadbook, gps, etc and the front fairing is all on mecasystem.fr
Here is all the stuff for the raptor:
Meca'System - Pièces et accessoires moto, rallye raid (kits & prestations) yamaha 700 yfm raptor
Expensive but these guys outfitted the 1st and 2nd places for this year's raptors (the Patronelli brothers).
They dont match, not that I could translate. They have a different design. Their fuel cells are more like sport bike. It looked like plastic with a plastic or fiberglass covering to it (the brothers) and the one sold on the website looks taller, more like a singular piece with a different light set up. I prefer the motorcycle shield with the relatively stock look not needing any nerf bar fuel cells that will give me an awkward riding position. Heel guards, ok, nerfs dont look too good. Also hitting a rock with a nerf fuel cell looks like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am sure those are the kits he uses, here you can see the nerf fuel cells:
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/marcos-patronelli-2010-1-10-15-43-22.jpg
One is on the front and one on the back. On the next picture you can see he just has the rear one on the nerfs and a spare tire:
http://us.images.detik.com/content/2010/01/18/463/Dakar5.JPG
The plastic tank holds 27 liters only and you need at least 50 liters to have a chance so you need the other ones.
And yes, he is sponsored by Mecasystem.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am sure those are the kits he uses, here you can see the nerf fuel cells:
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/marcos-patronelli-2010-1-10-15-43-22.jpg
One is on the front and one on the back. On the next picture you can see he just has the rear one on the nerfs and a spare tire:
http://us.images.detik.com/content/2010/01/18/463/Dakar5.JPG
The plastic tank holds 27 liters only and you need at least 50 liters to have a chance so you need the other ones.
And yes, he is sponsored by Mecasystem.

Cant argue with that. I was looking at other pictures from the other links on page 1 of this thread. The guy riding a yellow and black atv. That fuel system seems a lot less of a pain in the a**. but I see what you are saying now. Its like being strapped to a fire bomb

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cant argue with that. I was looking at other pictures from the other links on page 1 of this thread. The guy riding a yellow and black atv. That fuel system seems a lot less of a pain in the a**. but I see what you are saying now. Its like being strapped to a fire bomb
the fuel cell on machazek's bike looks like a tank from a 1200 bmw. i guess when it comes to wegiht distribution there are different setups and its not all said and done about which one is the best, id rather have the weight down and on the siden like the patronelli brothers instead that up high like machazek. one thing to note is that the nerf fuel cells are made of 3mm aluminium, im sure you can bend it, but put a hole in it? not likelly. from my point of view bith alternatives are good and going to work, which route you go is personal preference

1 - 20 of 79 Posts