Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new to the forum as well as my raptor.

I know, I know this topic has been brought up many times. I have been searching and I think the problem is my one way starter clutch. Heres the deal.

like the title says. I go to fire the bike up and the starter just spins freely and doesnt engage. Sometimes it will engage for a second then it skips off the clutch gear(52t sprocket). I pulled the side cover and the clutch gear teeth are chewed a little bit on the edges aswell as the gears between the starter and clutch gear BUT not the actual starter gear.I thought one way but why does it catch sometimes? I can push the small drive gear into the clutch gear to mesh the teeth then put the side cover back on and starter cover and attempt to start it but it just pops off the teeth again. Another thing is I can move that big 52 tooth sprocket a little bit (1/8") is that not right? Bought the bike thinking it only needed a starter but this really sucks as I dont have the dough to be replacing parts by trial and error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys. BTW dont worry I didnt buy it without riding it. Had to bump start it but it went good.

·
Registered
469 Posts
One-way starter clutch needs replaced. Buy the L&A complete kit to replace it (with the new 52 tooth gear) and you will be set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So can anyone explain how the starter clutch system works? It seems to me that the 52 tooth starter gear moves in an out with the one way bearing. My problem seems that the 52 tooth gear needs to come further out of the crankshaft so that it can catch the gears from the starter to engage. So if the clutch or one way is bad does it prevent the 52 tooth sprocket from returning to where it should be to start? Sry if I'm not making sense but I'm trying to explain the best I can and doing it over my iPhone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is a small washer that goes behind the 52 tooth gear IIRC. The 52 tooth gear does not move in or out. When the starter clutch spins on the gear the rollers squeeze in on the bearing surface of the 52 tooth gear then when it get running faster the bearing does not clamp down anymore. Odds are it is the starter clutch slipping. IT is the most common issue with the 660's. I have forgot to install that washer before and had no issues with it starting .

L&A is about the best one to buy but here is a link to a stock clutch and gear and a hard to beat price. It won't last as long as the L&A but if you don't run high compression or ride alot then I think it would be just fine for the price.

YAMAHA RAPTOR 660 ONE-WAY STARTER CLUTCH BEARING GEAR KIT SET 2001-2003 | eBay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my starter gear/52 tooth gear has 1/8th play on the shaft but not the way it spins but wobbles a little bit in an out. Confused man. So if I but this whole kit I will be good to go.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It is the whole kit. It depends on what your budget is. The link Dog posted is a really good price, but I would say it depends on how long you plan to keep your 660 as well. If you plan on selling it soon, go with that one. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, get the L&A. It comes with a lifetime warranty, and even though the price is higher, the warranty will pay for itself if it fails. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, hope this clears up my problems. I am going to order
the kit tomorrow. Good ol ebay. Probably about 3 weeks before I get it though :s. I have been picking at the bike and noticing alot of small problems that I have been getting at so I may just keep it as by the time I fix everything I will have the bike apart and fully gone over. I cant wait to ride this thing. Last quad I had was an 04 LTZ 400 and I really liked it but Im sure this things is balls compared to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Get the flywheel puller. That flywheel is tighter than a nun's a-hole! I also had to use a large rubber oil filter strap to keep the flywheel from spinning.
Ya man lol shes tight but I do have a 3 arm puller and an impact gun :D.

CHECK OUT THIS LINK TO THE YOUTUBE VIDEO I JUST MADE THIS EVENING SHOWING THE WHOLE STARTING SYSTEM! just noticed that there was no needle bearing on the crankshaft for the starter clutch (52 tooth gear). Maybe thats why it bent??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got all the parts from ups today and have everything in with loc-tite. Just need a case gasket. Almost debating on using gasket maker. I dont really want to wait until next week for the gasket to come in.... Custom fabbed a 2" riser for fat bars and threw some pro taper fat bars on I had laying around. Massive re route of the throttle cable and made a new mount for the front brake hose.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Negative on using gasket maker. You are just going to end up pulling that cover off again the first time you try to drop oil in there because you didn't get it to seal all the way. Just do it right the first time and be done with it. No sense getting impatient. Why didn't you order the gasket at the same time?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well for some reason I thought the kit I ordered off eBay came with a case gasket but I was mistaken. So my local shop said they'd have it next week sometime. The reason I wanted to try out gasket maker was just to make sure everything worked properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.