Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil tank is not gravity feeding back into the motor. It has not been ran, yet the tank is full. I checked the line, and the line is clear. I'm pretty sure that the tank should be empty and gravity fed back into the motor. I am out of ideas, and hoping maybe someone might have a suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more info:
it is not gravity feeding the oil back into the motor when it is not running. I just bought it and I am putting a timing chain on it (haven't ran it yet), and took off the side cover, so I had to drain the oil. When I did the motor didn't have much oil in it, and the resevior was completely full. I checked the screen in the resevior and the line, and everything seems to be clear. I don't understand why it won't gravity feed back in, from what I understand that is what it is supossed to do. It does on all of my other bikes. any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is a check ball inside the clutch cover it could be plugged or stuck in place

·
Registered
408 Posts
it is not a gravity feed system...it is a "dry sump" oiling system so your oil tank is supposed to always have oil in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it is a dry sump, I also have an 04 yz 450f and a 00 xr 650r that also have a dry sump, and if you check the oil w/o running them, it is pretty much empty with barely anything on the stick. So I assume it gravity feeds back to the motor because if you check it after you run it there is oil there (in the motorcycles). I don't think that the resevior should still be full, with it being cold and not run.

Where is the check ball located? Do I need to take the side cover off to get to it?

·
Registered
408 Posts
the checkball is in the clutch cover but it is an anti drain back checkball which prevents the oil in the pipe leading to the rocker box from draining back into the cases when the engine is turned off.

download the yamaha service manual from the web, page 2-22 starts the oil flow diagram.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Its pretty simple, if its showing full on the stick you are fine. Is it overflowing when you take the stick out? My 660 tank always had oil in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts