Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I'm new to the forums and new to the Raptor scenery. Anyways, I have some questions to ask some of you masters... actually first off let me inform you all of a project I'm starting soon. I'm taking an old scrapped 1984 Honda 200es Big Red 3Wheeler. I have a 700 Raptor motor, complete with electrical and cooling system. However the 700 motor the bottom end is gone due to previous owner running car oil in it. Not sure exactly what's wrong as I haven't taken it apart. That being said, I researched (Hence how I found this forum) and noticed that guys are running 660 Bottom end and 700 top end. So I found a 660 bottom end in great shape he had sold the top end to a guy that bent a valve or something. So I'm looking to pick that up. Now some questions I ask, since the 660 is a 03 and Carb, and the 700 is 06 and fuel injected... I need the wiring from the 700 correct? Or are the wiring systems completely different and I'd need to piece the 660 and 700 wiring to make my own harness? Next is, I need the rear swing arm, shock and rear axel.... are they different between the 660 and 700? Or will either or work? Or do I need the 660 one since I'm using the 660 bottom end? Last question for now... are the exhaust systems different between the 660 and 700? Hope to hear from some of you guys soon. Here is a review of my questions..

660 Bottom end with 700 Top end

Wiring? - 700?
Swing Arm/Shock/Rear Axel? - 660? 700?
Exhaust? - 660? 700?

Adam

P.S - If someone could give me a list of all the electrical components I would need to make one of these motors run... that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Convert it to carb would be better anyways
What would be needed to do that? And that means, I'd need the 660 wiring?.... why do you say it would be better? I'm getting a complete 700 motor with wiring/electrical system. So I'd like to use as much of it as possible instead of dishing out more money on parts...

·
Registered
408 Posts
It will likely be cheaper to fix the 700 bottom end than it would be to do a hybrid build. You have to buy a hybrid cylinder which has a 660 bottom bolt pattern and a 700 top bolt pattern to do a hybrid and all of those are at least a 105 bore as far as I know, which would require more money to bore the 660 cases to accept the big bore cylinder, as well as splitting the 660 cases to remove the crank.

"Car oil" will not "ruin" a bottom end, most regular 10-40 oils will meet the service requirements listed by Yamaha. I have ran "car oil" in my Raptors since 01 with no issues at all, you just have to watch the zinc contents for the wet clutch. It takes a little research but I can tell you based on personal use that Rotella 5-40 or 15-40, Castrol 10-40 and Royal Purple 10-40 "car oils" give great service in a Raptor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. How much would it run to build the bottom end? Not looking for anything fancy just to get it running. I'm sure the bike will serve its purpose just running stock. Would it just be replace the crank, main and thrust bearings and rod bearings and should be good or is there more to it? I'm a car mechanic not small engine so it may be more technical to me but I'm sure ill figure it out. As for what type of oil I'm not sure. Could have been 5w30 for all I know. Lastly, what all would I need for the electrical system? Like to make this motor run?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts