Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been working on a 660 that a guy jacked up the wiring on. first there was not power going to the key switch, so i replaced the reverse sensor and the other sensor on the bottom of the motor that has a ground on it, then replaced the starter relay, and that fixed the problem. had power to the key switch and it would turn over. i unhooked the battery put the rear plastics back on reconnected the battery now when i press the start button the red oil light just lights up and does nothing???????????????:wtf: i have checked all the connections twice, could the cdi be bad? anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
755 Posts
u have a bad conection on the male sensor thats down behind the shifter. u can unhook it cut the wire and ground it to the frame

·
Registered
755 Posts
hope that works 4 ya. hope to make outlaw but with the price of gas on the rise and business going down hill its not looking good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that was not the problem, so there is still a bad ground or something somewhere, could it be the cdi?

·
Registered
755 Posts
hmmm. sorry bro i thought that would fix it? anyone else got any idea's?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had this same exact issue, the start button works, oil light comes on when you hit it..nothing happens. I'm 99.9% positive your problem is the huge clusterf&%k of wires behind your battery, with the 3 plugs going into your cdi. Take your cdi out and pull those plugs, check out all the wires. Those wires tend to rub on the plastic and on each other...bet you'll find the culprit back there. When and if you find the issue back there, when you put it back together make sure to wrap the wires decently and make sure they're not rubbing on anything.

-Before you rip into it, try turning on your lights and starting it..try low and high beam. See what happens, I'm not a wiring expert by far but that might give you an idea of where to start looking, follow the colors if thats the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had the same problem and i found 3 wires on one of the plugs at the cdi box where shorting out i fixed them and wrapped them up with tape and it's been fine since

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you hear a click from the starter relay? If so, short across the two large lugs on the relay with a screwdriver or pair of pliers (ignore the sparks). Does the starter turn now? If it does, but you only hear a click when pressing the start button, the relay is bad.

If you hear no click, then it's a little more complicated, but still manageable... just let me know.

BTW, does your neutral light work? If not then it could be the neutral switch wire connection - pull the clutch, does it start now?

Also, does the reverse light work? If so, the CDI is getting proper power from the run/stop switch and has a proper ground connection.

And Friday - there is no oil light... it's the temperature light. BTW, I AM a wiring expert. It is about 99.9% not CDI related.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you hear a click from the starter relay? If so, short across the two large lugs on the relay with a screwdriver or pair of pliers (ignore the sparks). Does the starter turn now? If it does, but you only hear a click when pressing the start button, the relay is bad.

If you hear no click, then it's a little more complicated, but still manageable... just let me know.

BTW, does your neutral light work? If not then it could be the neutral switch wire connection - pull the clutch, does it start now?

Also, does the reverse light work? If so, the CDI is getting proper power from the run/stop switch and has a proper ground connection.

And Friday - there is no oil light... it's the temperature light. BTW, I AM a wiring expert. It is about 99.9% not CDI related.
Hi QuadManiac, I have the same issue with my Raptor 660... I don't hear the click in the relay. My neutral light works normally and the engine starts and runs normally when I short the relay with a screwdriver...
I don't know what else to check

1 - 10 of 10 Posts