Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a mod we have been doing for sometime. Adjustable by-pass boost sensing/adjusting external fuel pressure regulator.

It's a mouthful but a really helpful mod for not only boosted Raptors but NA builds also.

Benefits

Being adjustable its a great tuning aid. Example a stock 450cc injector at factory 46 psi setting will flow 492cc at 55psi....Most all injectors are rated at 43.5 psi.
So when you buy a 550cc injector its really 565cc thus how the famous pink injector is really rated. So say you need a little less fuel turn the fuel pressure down to 43.5 psi.
By doing this you get a linier tuning aid.

An external regulator keeps the fuel circulating giving you a cooler fuel charge. ....Cooler fuel charge means cooler air charge.....Free power

The added boost sensing port in the regulator means fuel pressure at the tip of the injector stays a constant. Example stock fuel pressure is 46psi so the spray coming out of the tip of the injector is 46psi....Now add 10psi of boost your fuel pressure stays 46psi but the tip is only able to exert 35psi. That's why we use a larger second injector.
Now with the sensing port hooked up your fuel pressure will follow the boost pressure 1 to 1 ratio. Now at 10psi boost you have 56 psi fuel pressure and 46 psi at the injector tip.

The added gauge in the regulator you always know if your fuel pump is working correct.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The stock fuel pump removed form the fuel tank. There is a zip tie and one button clip that hold the bucket on the fuel pump

Cut the zip tie and pop out the button clip. This is what you will see the filter and the silver round part is the internal pre set fuel pressure regulator. There are a total of 5 clips that hold on the blue cap that holds the fuel pump and regulator in place.

You can now see the fuel pump and the regulator

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the internal regulator . You can see the stock regulator next to the billet block off we make. Reuse the 2 orings and spacer as shown in the picture.

Now install the billet block off in the fuel pump housing , reinstall the blue cap making sure all the clips seat. Reinstall the fuel bucket using a new zip tie and button clip.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We make a billet fuel rail adaptor that easily installs in the end of the fuel rail. Just bend the taps on the end damper plate remove the stock damper and reinstall the billet adapter then re bend the tabs back in.

This set up can be used 2 ways. For boosted quads first run the fuel line to the second injector then to the side port on the fuel pressure regulator .
For NA quads run the fuel line direct to the side of the fuel pressure regulator

I like to mount the fuel regulator on the right side of the quad using a 1/8" thick aluminum angle cut 3/4" wide. I just drill the 2 holes to match the regulator , Cut 1" off the other leg of the bracket and drill a 1/4" hole. with a second 1/4" hole as shown in the mount bracket in the clutch cable bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a boosted quad you can tuck it in pretty tight

On a NA build you can flip the aluminum bracket and mount it to one of the bolts that hold the clutch cover on

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use a 90 deg bulkhead fitting for the return line. We found the spot in the picture keeps everything tucked under the plastic and routed with the stock fuel line.

We only use braded fuel line with an fittings . Push lock fuel line is ok. Using rubber fuel line with hose clamps just is not safe.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last step is to cycle the fuel pump by turning the key on and off. Set the pressure to 45 psi check for leaks . Fire the quad check check for leaks again. Then set the fuel pressure to 46psi . Now you are ready to ride and tune.

To buy the billet adapter or a complete ready to run kit contact Ragged Edge Performance at 406-560-1478

·
Registered
521 Posts
thats nice :)

i dont think the stock pump holds up well to a lot of the choice fuels for go fast purposes but non less i like the billet pieces, getting into a return style setup for guessing under $500 is very cheap and good idea

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are #4 an fittings and lines recommended for the feed and return??
If so is there a hp mark that you would want to step up to #6 fittings and lines???

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Are #4 an fittings and lines recommended for the feed and return??
If so is there a hp mark that you would want to step up to #6 fittings and lines???

we have ran -6 on some bigger builds we do not think its needed though the pump stays cool enough with the -4

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cost for a do it yourself type is less then one would think.
If you weld the fitting in the fuel rail and braze the regulator openings up

The cost buying the hose , fittings , & gauge from Summit Racing and the Regulator for Ebay..

NA is $104.00 and dual injector na or Boosted is $154.00

The Billet regulator plug and Fuel rail adps are $35.00 each

To buy a complete cut to fit mount yourself kit with billet adps from us runs NA $274.00 And dual injector boosted $324.00

Then if you want to buy a kit all made up with mounts ready to run it's NA $399.00 And dual injector boosted $449.00

It shows how much one can save being a do it yourself type.

·
Registered
521 Posts
thats a pretty good deal imo i know on my builds i have at least $250 of just an fittings on each one people dont realize how quick some of them bastads add up. some elbows are $30 a piece.

this is what i have been using awhile now maybe it will help someone in a drag build space is main issue when you start getting down to bare minimum stuff i went through several versions before this one and i like it best so far. i would gess there is probably close to $1000 worth of crap there to make it work on each bike not including labor to build it so it makes a $300 kit look pretty good
Auto part Vehicle
Auto part Vehicle Engine Fuel line Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Auto part Wire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Engine

·
Registered
521 Posts
does the stock pump hold same pressure under load at 55-60 psi with return setup also? i havent ever tried it that way

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like your drag tank and fuel set up....Something like that does add up fast.

The stock pump holds the pressure pretty good up to the 100h/p mark on something boosted and referenced and starts to drop off from there.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
We have kits in stock ready to Ship
So if your going bigger this winter or have a big build looking for more fuel we got you covered

1 - 20 of 22 Posts