Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out probably “one” of the reasons why people get aftermarket steering stems rather than use the stock ones. I washed my Raptor and put it away wet and was looking it over a couple of days later and noticed rust spots on my arms and around the front end. I investigated and it was coming from the little hole at the bottom of the steering stem. It must be all rusty inside there. Nice!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I got a Houser cause I bent the F*&K outta my stock unit :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
take the bars off spray some rust converter in it top it with some spray paint if you want call it a day unless you want a taller stem stocks good make it last

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
shit I would just use it till you turn your bike over and bend the stem, it doesn't take much.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
shit I would just use it till you turn your bike over and bend the stem, it doesn't take much.
i agree.. i think mine has a tweak in it also.. not that bad.. i'm going to try to make it thru one more season and then replace it.. there is just to many other things i need right now..

·
Registered
613 Posts
It is pretty easy to change the stem unless you go longer. Had to change my brake line and DRD reverse cable because they were too short. Hard part was locating a longer DRD cable.

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Whats involved in replacing the stem? How long does it take?
Less then an hour of your time. You have to remove the front plastics & gas tank to gain access to the top mounting bracket of your stem. Remove the lower bolt and lower steering stop that your tie rod ends are attached to and the stem comes right out.

I just replaced my factory stem with a Houser + 1.25" steering stem because I went with a long travel suspension and 1 1/8" bars. I have aftermarket dual front brake lines but I used all of the factory clutch & brake lines with no problems.

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the houser stem and pro taper bar and it was pretty easy to install. All controls were long enough. But I have after market brake lines like Johnny.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is pretty easy to change the stem unless you go longer. Had to change my brake line and DRD reverse cable because they were too short. Hard part was locating a longer DRD cable.
Where were you able to find the longer DRD cable, and how much $?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts