Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this topic has probably been beat to death but nothing came up on my searches. The yamaha mechanic said that the machine can be run without the airbox cover and it will adjust itself, is this true? I removed the cover and it seemed to run ok. I do not have a fuel programmer yet and when I was riding last night the headers were glowing, I put the airbox cover back on.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Yes you can. You can either run the airbox lid off, and S/A in, or S/A out and airbox lid on. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose to take the lid off, when you pull the S/A out it actually loses a little bit of torque, but makes up for it in throttle response.

Just from removing the Airbox lid and taking the spark arrestor out I gained 4.5hp and 3.5lbs of torque :thumb:

But while I had that combo I was definetely running lean

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ran mine with no lid and no sparky briefly--- the plug looked like it had been sandblasted.:thumbsdown:

That lean is not good, I went for the controller.:thumb:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, hope this helps others as well. I am waiting for the fci intake so that I can buy my BIG 3 package through TQS. Is it normal for the header to glow red, I have a new 08 with 7 hours on it and have not noticed it before.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Never heard of the headers getting red on a stock bike, but it is common for headers to get red on the raptor. I would not run open box without a pcIII (or alike).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never heard of the headers getting red on a stock bike, but it is common for headers to get red on the raptor. I would not run open box without a pcIII (or alike).
10, 4

:thumb:thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts