Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, back in the day when I was a kid, my family and I used to LOVE going on night rides. My dad had a dune buggy, and the 5 of us would pile into that thing and take a nice easy, slow-going night ride through the mountain. It was great! The best part? He had bright-ass lights on the buggy!

Fast forward 20 years or so, and I ride my Raptor 700....as any of us who keep the lights on and use them from time to time know, the stock lights suck!!! Added with the stock location of the lights...they get covered in mud (if you ride in that sort of thing!) and then they become pretty much worthless. For the last 5 years or so, night rides totally sucked, so we usually didn't go on them for safety reasons and lack of enjoyment!

My husband and I picked up a set of LED lights that are amazing. They are compact, Aluminum, and waterproof. Each light has 4 LED's that are 3100 Lumens! Strap 2 of these badboys to your handlebars, and night rides are now amazing!!! We have wired these into the stock lights. So when The low beam switch is on, just the stock raptor lights will be on....with just a flick of the high beam switch, daylight is turned on! These pics were taken after just installing the lights and clamping them down. We didn't really adjust them yet, so perhaps they could be made even better....but all I know on the 50 mile, 7 and a half hour trip we went on yesterday/last night....the lights were a top conversation point.

I can't speak for the durability of them over a long period of time, because I just used them last night for the first time....but they do seem to be well built and with the aluminum housing, I can't really see too much of anything going wrong with them.

Now for the pictures...

Nice Compact placement - hardly notice they are there...except when they're on at night!!! LOL

Clean Stock lights shining into the woods/darkness....

LED's turned on and Lighting up the night

To show how black this particular place was on the ride, I took a pic with all my lights off....

Then, I took a pic with my stock lights (low beam)....and I had to stand up to look if they were even turned on....this was after about 25 miles, so they had some mud caked on them....look closely to see the slight reflection off the front grab bar!

Then, I turned my new LED lights on (with stock high beam switch)! Guess you could really call that a night and day difference!! LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love it! What lights are those, where did you get them, and what did you pay?

·
Registered
105 Posts
yup, I agree with everyone else those are a great addition. Brand, price,supplier??

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow they are compact, and they have more lumens than the rigid dually 2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the review!

I'm gunna have to go with everybody else here on this one though. You left a couple of important details out! Brand, supplier, price? I would also like to know what all came with. Like clamps? Wiring? Bolts...Things like that.

Those are definitely a nice addition!

- doc

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting Jamie and sorry for the delay everyone, my area got hit pretty hard by the Hurricane and we just got power and Internet back within the last few hours. Still don't have cell service though. Oh well, at least we are safe and no damage to our house/property!

But yeah, those are the lights. Don't come with clamps or anything to mount them on the bars...so they aren't exactly plug and play...but with a little bit of thinking, they are well worth it!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's a pretty sweet deal each light about 40 bucks not bad

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have thought about adding a set to the bumper for night rides, I have HDI's on it for main lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have thought about adding a set to the bumper for night rides, I have HDI's on it for main lights.
Not sure what terrain you ride, but if there's any mud, I wouldn't recommend the bumper...they will get covered quickly down there. It's VERY nice having them on the handle bars so that way you can point the light exactly where you're going.

Which HID's do you have? Any night pictures of them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
so how did you do the wiring?? i installed a 10watt led light on mine and connected it on the high beam wire on the light harness and i keep blowing fuses ..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's wired directly to the high beam wire with no issues so far... Maybe something is shorting out on yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but looking for a little help, I just bought an Opt7 8" led bar, I too would like to wire it into the high beams, did you eliminate them completely or are you just tapped in? My biggest fear is the wires are small but my light is not that big of a draw...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts