Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the advancements in the 450 quads nowadays does anyone take their 700 out to the XC course anymore? I recently purchased a 2014 700R and had no initial plans on racing as I was just getting back into the sport and being a bigger guy it seemed like the perfect fit. Well it seems like the racing bug has found me and I was thinking about racing in the local AWRCS series. I did a bunch of initial small mods to make me feel better about taking it out there (Skids, Nerfs, Handguards, Better Tires, Handlebar Riser, Front and Rear Grab Bars). I plan on eventually adding a precision steering stabilizer and getting the shocks reworked to deal with my 280lb 6'2" frame. Anyways is there anyone out there hitting the circut with their 700? I know people say the yfz's are much better for whipping around in the woods but with my big size I feel like the high torque could be an asset in the tight stuff. Let me know if you've had your bike out there and if its been able to hang with the 450's, also let me know if you suggest any other changes before hitting the course. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Kudos for taking the 700 out there! Yes, they are a bit more bulky than the 450's and don't fly as gracefully but if you can manage it, the 700 has much more power(or potential power).That being said, they can come out of turns faster and have faster straight away speeds. With the right suspension and about 2" per side wider, and a little bit lowered, the 700 does pretty well. I have built a couple of motocross 700 engines that are winning quite frequently in their division.

Best of luck to you out there, if you ever need anything feel free to call!

Brandon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm excited to give it a shot. I know with these cross country races its a lot about comfort and just being able to actually get to the finish and I just feel more comfortable on the raptor. I like the idea of lowering it a bit but I'm afraid of losing to much ground clearance. The AWRCS races can get pretty muddy and rocky. I think i'll just have to give it a shot and make adjustments from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts