Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Big Daddy Long Stroke
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be selling my 20x10x9 Holeshots for a new set of tires. Running an 804 this season in my 700 and the holeshot tires didn't hook up that good in the more loose dirt/sand we trail ride in (this was with just a Big 4 mod!).

Was wondering if any of you guys have stepped up to a 22" tall rear tire for trail riding and if it improved traction at all with the little bigger foot print?

·
Registered
216 Posts
i ride with 20's but my buddy has 22's and he does way better on the trails and in the mud than i do. he's also running a tire kinda like a mudlite though, but the clearance helps too.

·
Big Daddy Long Stroke
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its really not the clearance that I'm looking for. The holeshot tires worked good when the quad was relatively stock. As soon as I did the Big 3 plus a Stage 3 hot cam the traction went to shit especially on the trails where it is loose dirt and sand. Pretty much impossible for me to get the front end up even in first gear with those tires...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Im going to 22's and im doing a head and cam build on mine definetly better traction with 22's over the 20's. I ran mudlites 20-11-9 and they were great on my 6mod but with any more power id say 22's. check out the mudlites for a lightweight tire and good traction or the new maxxis zilla's. All the other 22 inch tires start to get heavy Sur tracs are nice too

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I was running 22's until now. I have nothing bad to say about them. My setup guy has done my shocks and talked me into the 21/20 combo. I think I'm gonna get used to it and so far only thing I miss is the ground clearance. If I tear up links, arms, and skids, then I'll switch back to 22's.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Like the others said, try a 15T front sprocket if you are not already.

If that doesnt work, check out the GBC Afterburners in 21". Alot of the XC racers use them and they have awesome traction, are light, are strong, and are relatively cheap.

If you dont like the way that those look, check out the GBC X-Rex's. They have the same features as the Afterburner, but some say they hook TOO well. So maybe that would be good with all of your power:thumb:

·
Big Daddy Long Stroke
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you guys with the 22" rears running in loose dirt or sandy trails? How do they hook and what tire do you have?

I have seen the GBC X-Rex tires but they look like the Holeshots and Razr2's. I'm not a fan of thge holeshots in loose terrain so I dont see how they can be any better...

·
Registered
583 Posts
here in the SW, we got this stuff called "silt." you run into it every once in awhile, and it effing sucks. the trails out here are very rocky. the dirt is packed hard, but sometimes you run into sand, or worst silt.

i mostly run itp xct, it's a great tire in this terrain, but as you stated i don't think they'd be great in yours. i also like the razr2 tires. they have more bite but the sidewall is weaker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have big 3 DMC twins and stock gearing,
hated the 22" on 9" rims though.
I run 22s on 10" rims and what a difference.
We are trails, forest and moorland as well as using tarmac to access so a varied terrain and all is great :thumb:

PS remember and go bigger at the front too to match the standard geometry

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have stock raptor, only mod 15t front sprocket and i run kenda`s bear claw`s front and rear 22`tires, these tires hook like no other i have tried before, maxxis surtrack, itp mudlites ( crap tires ), cheng shin etc... this claws are a little heavy tires, but for sure a raptor will take the shit out of them, i run in little sand areas, rocks,a lot of loose dirt and mud, even in mud pits my raptor goes up for a wheelie, also they are hard to beat, i dont have skidplates, i know that i really need them because i am most a trail rider, but with these tires clearance is pretty good, i love these tires since i tried them, also looks better, this is my war machine lol.. hope this help you find good tires for you :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I have big 3 DMC twins and stock gearing,
hated the 22" on 9" rims though.
I run 22s on 10" rims and what a difference.
We are trails, forest and moorland as well as using tarmac to access so a varied terrain and all is great :thumb:

PS remember and go bigger at the front too to match the standard geometry
I also have a set of 23/22 Bearclaws all on 10" wheels that I throw on for really muddy or winter riding. I prefer my 21/20 setup for fast trail riding but like you said, the Bearclaws can't be beat for traction. I also hated them with 9" wheels, all my wheels are 10" now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i run 15t w/ 22" rears, i got quite a bit of work done though.

grey, with your mods you can easily pull it off.
any ideas of ur top speed ....my raptor 700 has 22 inch rears and front with stock 14 38 sprockets althouht my top speed is around 110 ....any ideas why or how I can increase it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts