Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright... All this suspension stuff is boggling my mind! I am finding it a little hard and confusing to gather data on all the different options out there. I cant seem to find that many reviews of the different shock/arm combo's so its really making it hard to get a feel for what I should spend this huge chunk of change on.

Some of you have given me info many times, and its much appreciated! Any sponsors who see this please PM me with ALL of your available combo's! Some prices change a lot and options seem to appear that were not there a month ago (making this impossible to get straight in my head!)

ANY information is helpful right now!

I have a 2007 Raptor 700 SE and am selling the stock front shocks and arms. I should have about 600-700 out of my whole front suspension. I would like to only drop 1,000 out of pocket (which seems doable for even the nicer suspension setups). If I can save some money that is even better! I dont want to cut corners, but I am also not a PRO riding MX daily so if you have a more affordable shock setup (I- shock guys, this is where I need YOU!) please chime in with exactly how you feel about your setups.

Right now I know I want Long travel. Seems pointless not to spend the extra 100-250 to get it with what I am already spending.

My options I can forsee right now are:
Motowoz shocks (I got one price for 1080 on these...still have not found out if this is FULLY ADJUSTABLE or not! I woudl want the comp and rebound adjustable, in a LT shock...)
+ LT Arms... What are my options here? I Know JD arms (675 for group buy...kinda pricey)
ASR's are about 500
Houser seems WAY out of my range (like 750?)
What else is there? Alba? (I Dont see ones listed as long travel)

With the above options (if the 1080 I was quoted is for Fully adjustable and long travel) puts me at about 1600 with the cheapest option arms (1700+ with other arms).

The flip side of the coin (and the one that leaves me with more coin in my pocket) is ISHOCK

It looks like (according to hydroD site) the I5500 LT is their only LT option? It comes with the M1A6 shocks (are these the newest shocks?) I know their other kit (non LT) comes with the F8's (thats the original shocks they came out with, right?)
I am waiting to hear back from V2 on the cost and exactly what my options are.

For those who have the Ishock (or Ishock LT) how is it compared to stock? How about those who came from Stock with SE shocks??? I want a noticable difference or else I am not dropping this much cash!

The two things that appeal to me about the Ishock kits are that they are all black (purely cosmetic obviously)...and will save me 200-500+?? Still waiting on confirmation! The LT kit also comes with SS lines and clamps which is a bonus (would wait to add those to the motowoz combo later when I have money again lol).

I am looking for Anything you guys can give me!

What you own
What you have ridden
What it cost you
How happy you are with it

I hear motowoz are about the best thing out there (very attractive!) Sounds like it will be a noticable difference over Ishock (juding by what I have heard...any confirmation on this would be helpful!) without being that pro-mx racer that I am definitely NOT!

Sorry for the long thread...and the continual posting of new threads! Hopefully this will be the LAST! I want to nail this down ASAP so I can get the ball rolling!

I also just nabbed this shock off ebay which I think will work out quite well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=280250713686&rd=1

I got it for 250...and one season on it. The current owner had it valved for 200 (im currently 228 butt neked! Working on making that 200-210 again!). I think I will throw this shock on the way it is and if I am satisfied with it (over my SE rear) I will roll with it and sell the SE. If it needs revalved and the SE seems like a better option I will just resell it (should be able to recoup my costs seeing as how that shock cost easily 2.5 - 3.5 times that new!)

I had full elka dune editions on my DS730 and really liked them, but I know technology (valving, etc) has improved.

Anyway... ANYTHING you can throw my way is helpful!!!

Sorry to be a bother constantly, but I am putting myself through college and my money for "toys" only spreads so thin, so I have to be VERY careful with where it goes!

- Mike

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
ishock are good shock for the $ from what i hear. you will be happy exp if you are not a pro rider. i think if u shop around u can get the motowoz for cheaper than 1080 if you decided to go tht route. and most thing they are well worth the $ that have them. try kb motorsports they give good deals and so does tech quad shop.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check in with KB (again, I have bothered that man way too much!) about his best price on everything he has available.

Yes I am for sure NOT pro... I would say I am more of a fast paced recreational rider with some extreme here and there (some jumping) but I really appreciate soaking up the little stuff (AND big stuff) which gives me the confidence to push myself further and further. I also love feeling like my bike is on RAILS! That is the one and only thing I prefer about my buddies LTR's is that they are wide (soon to be cured :) ) and handle the open twisties like you are glued to the ground (hopefully soon to be cured as well!)

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Call Dave at JD Performance (he's one of our sponsor's here) and talk to him over the phone. DO NOT PM or EMAIL him. He has some great deals on a-arms, shocks and yes even Motowoz/a-arm kits. It's worth your time to call him.

-Johnny

P.S. If you look close, there's even a group buy going right now... :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a little update.. TQS special for July was Motowz and +2 LT SMC arms with brake lines and clamps for 1750.... 1775 for high ground clearance.

I dont know if that pricing is still available, but it kind of helps me realize the pricing situation. Seems like the 1080 must be for the LT/Comp/rebound adjustables...?

That price is not too bad (I assume like 75-100 off that without the brakes/clamps?) I might just have to make due with stock for now till I can scrounge up the extra cash.

If I could do 1675 for LT SMC +2 LT arms and fully adjustable Motowoz I would be interested. Will be interesting to see what the Ishock 5500 LT kit comes in at compared to that!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lol... I know I know!! You guys really know how to push that damn GB!

The price seems decent (now that I see what true LT prices are). But if its on sale for 675, I will have to see what he can do for me over phone! Maybe we can work out a good deal on the motowoz and his arms!

It would be nice if his site was working!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got off the phone with dave a little bit ago. He is a GREAT guy! Very informative and down to earth. Not a BS salesman like some people I know.

730 with free shipping is the current price...the group buy is a pretty damn good deal...I just dont know if I want to wait till winter to get that list fully matured. I just sold off my front SE shocks, so am going to be stuck until I order up my new parts...

His price with motowoz long travel is 1850 which is pretty good (brake lines/clamps are 65 extra). The motowoz by themselves from TQS are 1080 so about the same price as Daves deal (buying the arms seperate from him, and the shocks from TQS).

Decisions Decisions!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Roost! I have elks elite dune edition triple rates on my yfz and love them! I am watching and subscribing to this thread as well. I haven't had a chance to try out my 08 stock 700 shocks yet. Let use know what you come up with! Damn decisions! lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright well I have FINALLY ironed this out!

Rear shock: Elka dune edition triple rate fully adjustable with remote ressy. Got it off ebay for 265 shipped. It is already valved for my weight, and only has one season of riding on it!

Front shocks: Fully adjustable Motowoz from KBM (ordering soon). Those are a little over 1,000

A-arms: well I will disclose this when I for SURE have everything nailed down. Through a weird chain of events im ending up with some brand new Houser +2.25 High Ground clearance Sli-Cast a-arms. These are not even made yet! They are housers new design and the raptor arms will be done within the next 2-4 weeks. I got a stellar price on them as well. Once everything goes through I will disclose how I did it so everyone else can have a shot at it too :)

If you go to the houser site and click on Honda -> 450r you can see the new style sli-cast arms (since they have not finished the production of the yamaha ones, you can at least see what they look like as the honda ones are done now). They are very trick looking!

For now I am going to run stock brake lines...eventually I will get some black stainless lines and some red annodized clamps. That will be after my wallet is done crying (probably over the winter).

Thanks everybody for all the help!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm sponsored by GT Thunder, Laz Sommers' shop (father of Brandon Sommers Pro GNCC racer). They know YFZ and Raptor suspension very well.
I can't tell you how much I got the entire rebuild/revalve set up for but I believe if you were to mail in your front res shocks and rear res shock it would cost about $750 for a custom set up. That means linkage, new springs, and completely made for your weight and riding style. I've heard people say they're just as good if not better than Elka, Works etc. I don't know since I've never had anything but GT Thunder rebuild mine.

The problem with that is you can't sell your old suspension since you need it to mail in to GT Thunder.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very good thread here.I am in same boat.I love the power, motor and ride but if I cant get it to handle better its getting sold for a new YFZ.Seems like going wider than stock is the wise choice.Hate to spend $ though since YFZ definitly handles better stock.For right price and combo would be worth it to me to not have to wring the heck out of YFZ motor like I did my old one.Cant wait to hear the outcome.

·
Registered
835 Posts
well if we're posting pics then...:D
I stay with my stock width for racing. Powder coated black stockers.
Those JD's are looking nice though! I bet that sucker handles great. Those are flex bars too right? nice

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
I'm sponsored by GT Thunder, Laz Sommers' shop (father of Brandon Sommers Pro GNCC racer). They know YFZ and Raptor suspension very well.
I can't tell you how much I got the entire rebuild/revalve set up for but I believe if you were to mail in your front res shocks and rear res shock it would cost about $750 for a custom set up. That means linkage, new springs, and completely made for your weight and riding style. I've heard people say they're just as good if not better than Elka, Works etc.
I have heard many good things from people just like you about having your YFZ450 shocks rebuilt by GT Thunder. I think the thing that most people worry about is that is won't say Elka, Motowoz or Works when they are done rebuilding them. I am planning to have my shocks rebuilt by GT after I get my JD Performance A-Arms. Dave recommended this route to me as well. I'll take the money I would of spent on the name brand shocks and buy my axle and Fast Flexx bars. Don't worry fellas, I'll wave as I pass you through the woops... :thumb:

-Johnny

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I bought a set of 08 yfz shocks with a GT Thunder XC dual spring setup for a 200lb rider off of ebay with supposedly 2 rides on them. I can't tell if my ride is really a whole lot smoother and I have not been to a track with them yet so I can't speak form how they handle the jumps. I can tell you there is an absolute night and day difference in cornering with my stock width a-arms and stock backspacing on my wheels. I haven't put it up on 2 wheels since, just carves through the turns now and I have the 22" Holeshot H-D's on the front too. I also have not done a whole lot of adjusting the high & low speed or rebound settings on them. I have them all set in the middle, so I'm sure I could make the ride softer. Hopefully this winter I'll be able to send my rear off to them for the same treatment! Plus they look so nice I feel bad covering them up with the shock covers!

·
Registered
54 Posts
remember everybody. all those 450's are about 3 to 4 inches wider or more than our stock rappys. a little lower too. going wider with the correct suspension tune will put us right in their back pockets in the twisties. I'm just about to jump in on the JD arm deal, and works is rebuilding a new SE rear shock for me right now. I'M ON MY WAY.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts