Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't been around in a while, some may remember that my house burned back in July taking my racing '07 Raptor 700R with it. I was having a good year in my local XC series before the fire and it was hard to keep the racing going after the fire. I raced a borrowed KFX400 the first race after the fire, but I was looking for a permanant replacement. The Raptor 700 was my first 4-stroke race quad, and even though I loved the power I did learn a few things that I didn't like in the 20 months or so that I raced it. I found a killer deal on an '09 Polaris Outlaw 450MXR and went for it. Turns out the Outlaw is quite a nimble XC quad. It is the lightest 450 race quad, turns well and the KTM engine has more torque than other 450 machines. I finished the season racing the Outlaw and pulled off my first class championship!

Just wanted my ole Raptor buds to know what was going on in my racing world since I made some good friends around these parts and kinda fell off the world since my house fire.

Here's a couple pics of me on the Outlaw.

And one Raptor pic for old times sake.

·
Asshole
3,162 Posts
NICE !!!! Congrats man ! This is great to hear after the fire !! Nothing but props.... except, well- I don't think I even have to say it... :lol:

:beerchug: Don't be a stranger

·
Registered
936 Posts
Glad to hear stuff is beginning to work out. yes, please dont be afraid to check in on us from time to time and Good luck This Season! Go get another Championship!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Awesome! Congrats! I also switched over to the 450 club to an LTR. Cant wait to see how you do on the Outlaw. You dont see them that often, but Im glad to see you are liking it and making it work!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Awesome! Congrats! I also switched over to the 450 club to an LTR. Cant wait to see how you do on the Outlaw. You dont see them that often, but Im glad to see you are liking it and making it work!
You know I loved my Raptor, but the 450 race machines really are much easier to handle well in the woods. I used to race an old Suzuki LT250R Quadracer, raced it for a long time because I loved the light weight and powerful, rev-happy engine and the Outlaw is a lot like it in that respect. I've avoided adding things that weight a quad down, still running the plastic skid plates for example. I'm gonna try to keep the Outlaw basic, light and fast...and it's worked for me so far.

My mods are only:
HMF slip-on
Baldwin Motorsport oil cooler
Precision stabilizer
ATV4Play Soft bars
Pure Polaris front bumper
DWT dual beadlock champion in a box
GBC Race Rex tires all around
and
Pro Armour peg extenders

Pretty simple and basic XC mods, but I'm very happy with the result. The factory Fox Podium X shocks are working very well for me so far.

Good luck on the LTR, several guys in my series run them, they are fast, but they all have had reliability issues.

Hey downfour, are you still racing the Raptor?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
yes sir i am! just got the motor back together for this up coming season! i raced and kfx 450 most of the season last year and it just wasn't for me! the power was way different then what i like in the 700! the raptor is a tad heavier but i still like it better! that and i like proving people wrong that they are not good xc machines! :thumb: i didn't really finish the season last year because i didn't wanna blow the 450 up and have 2 bikes to rebuild. but the raptor is back and stronger then ever!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Pretty simple and basic XC mods, but I'm very happy with the result. The factory Fox Podium X shocks are working very well for me so far.

Good luck on the LTR, several guys in my series run them, they are fast, but they all have had reliability issues.
I respect that you are trying to keep it simple. I didnt realize that the Polaris came stock with Fox shocks, thats pretty neat.
I really like the lightness, nimbleness, and stability of the LTR. The fat reavving is so nice too. LTR's are notorious for their tranny problems, but overall they are good machines from what I have seen. I am just going to keep riding until it blows i guess :lol: I will be keeping up with you on Quadzone

yes sir i am! just got the motor back together for this up coming season! i raced and kfx 450 most of the season last year and it just wasn't for me! the power was way different then what i like in the 700! the raptor is a tad heavier but i still like it better! that and i like proving people wrong that they are not good xc machines! :thumb: i didn't really finish the season last year because i didn't wanna blow the 450 up and have 2 bikes to rebuild. but the raptor is back and stronger then ever!
Sorry to say it, but as far as good machines, the KFX has many flaws as far as reliability, comfort, and power. I AM going to miss the low end punch of the 700. I cant wait to see how you like that new build on your raptor. I bet that thing is going to rip your hands off:lol:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
yeah i know about the kfx wouldn't be my first choice but its what i had to work with! :lol: only 450 i havn't had a leg around is the ltr and the can am. if i were to get one i would roll a honda or yfx for sure.. i would have to put risers on any of them to get it to feel right! its crossed my mind a few times to get one but i have spent so much time and money to get the 700 to perform like a 450 that i just can't let it go! maybe in a few seasons i will break down and build a 450 but its just not in the cards for now.. :lol:

as far as the motor goes i know its gonna be to much for the woods but gonna be damn fun in the wide open sections! :lol: should be interesting to say the least.. to be honest the stock 700 is more then enough for the xc track motor wise!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i know about the kfx wouldn't be my first choice but its what i had to work with! :lol:
I bought my oldest daughter an '09 KFX450R to be her race quad. Around here dealers don't let you ride the quad before you buy it, if I had ridden the KFX first, I would not have bought it. Compared to my Outlaw the engine is way underpowered. The turning radius is even worse that it was on my Raptor and the seat is crazy hard. I've ridden it in practice and I just can't make it go fast, the riding position is all wrong. I'm fairly tall, 6'2", and the Outlaw is perfect, nice tall stem, especially with the ATV4Play Softbars. Not to mention this thing won't start with any reliability at all. I guess it is a personal preference, our Senior class champion races a KFX and does very well on it.

Here's a pic of my daughter on her KFX.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
i agree with everything you said about the kfx 100%.. i do think with a few add ons that would be ok for me! such as taller bars, different steering flag, softer seat.. the one i was using was a big 3 bike other then that all stock! i had plenty of seat time bcuz i was using it as a practice quad for 6 months prior to racing it.. but it would beat the hell out of me! best thing about it was the throttle response. you blip the throtte and there was 0 hesitation what so ever..

all in all i think it wouldn't be a bad quad if it were setup right! not my first choice but if i found the right deal i would give it a shot!

whats your daughter think of it? is it the only 450 she has been on?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
whats your daughter think of it? is it the only 450 she has been on?
It's the only 450 quad she's had any time on, but she likes it. She raced a LTZ400 with a big bore kit, FCR carb and PEP shocks all around before and she handled that quad better than her KFX. You can tell from the pic that I have 22 rears on it and I think that is slowing her down a little. She raced it once with 20" rears and got hung up several times, the ground clearance isn't too good under the rear skid. I put the 22s on it and she hasn't gotten hung up, but isn't handleing the quad as well either. She hasn't said that she doesn't like the tires, but I can tell the way she drives into and through a corner that a shorter rear would be better. Honestly, the 22s are an old set I ran for 2 races on my Raptor and didn't like them at all. They were in my shed and didn't burn when the house went up so I had them to put on hers. I told her that she can go back to 20" rears when she is strong enough to pick the quad up out of ruts easily...she's working on it. The last time she got hung up in ruts, every other racer on the track went around her and I had to go find her and get her unstuck after the race...she couldn't pick up the rearend out of the ruts.

Yeah, the 450MXR was a no-brainer. I've ridden a 525 IRS and didn't like it at all, the 450 was cheaper and came with the nice Fox Podium X shocks. All I had to do was take off the stock 18s and put on some 20s and I was set. Sold the 18s to a buddy that MXs to recoupe most of my money to boot. The 525s wasn't a real good choice either, that stock shocks aren't very good on those. So far the 450 engine is a best-of-class engine that has outrun modded Honda 450s, stock LTRs and YFZs. The KTM engine is very good, it has a long stroke like the Raptor so you don't loose all that torque. I have to shift more than with the Raptor, and the KTM engine loves to rev into the stratosphere, amazingly high coming off the Raptor, this thing never seems to run out of rev and just keeps pulling as long as you are willing to hold the throttle open, quite a remarkable engine really. If you can get around the 4 oil filters on this thing, you can grow to love it's power delivery. I have heard that a modded 525s can be a beast though.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
damn 4 filters!! :wtf: i would like to ride one and see if i like it! the shocks are definitly a good selling point for sure! i just can't seem to let go of the raptor.. have tooo much time in money to get it to where it is.. :lol: best of luck to ya on it and hope it holds up for ya!

on a side note hows everything going post fire? is everyone still doing ok?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also do they make rotor/sproket guards for the kfx? maybe try those instead of a skid
Man, I'm gonna stay away from the rotor guard, a buddy of mine on a TRX went through 3 stock bearing carriers this season. I might cut a skid and run a rotor guard though. In my mind she needs to learn to pick better lines so she doesn't get hung up. I never get hung up short of a mud bog and I'm runnning the shortish GBC Race Rex rears.

As far as the fire aftermath, we're back in our house...finally. Actually it feels like somebodyelse's house, it was gutted to the foundation and exterior brick and rebuilt. The floorplan is mostly the same, but we updated what had been a 30 year old house to look and feel much more modern. For all intents and purposes it is a new house, and the funny part is, I didn't want a new house. I guess this one will be home before long. Moved all my quads back to my garage today. They had been at my brothers in a shed, feels good to get them back. I'm putting together my workshop/garage in what I hope will be a more efficient way, new workbenches, new shelving and cabinets. I even got a few banners that were left over after the awards banquet to hang on the walls.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn 4 filters!! :wtf: i would like to ride one and see if i like it! the shocks are definitly a good selling point for sure!
Yeah, I'm thinking on trying to make the July GNCC in Ohio, if you're close, come through a leg over and see what you think. You're 6'4" if I remember right, I'm a couple inches shorter, but the Outlaw feels pretty good for someone my height. The stem is pretty tall and the ergonomics are simple and work well. The front fenders are small but seem to be too close when I really have to get off the seat and tuck in low. All-in-all it's a damned raceable quad and I'm surprized I don't see more of them, but hey, it's Hondamania around here with YFZs coming in a distant second.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Man, I'm gonna stay away from the rotor guard, a buddy of mine on a TRX went through 3 stock bearing carriers this season. I might cut a skid and run a rotor guard though. In my mind she needs to learn to pick better lines so she doesn't get hung up. I never get hung up short of a mud bog and I'm runnning the shortish GBC Race Rex rears.

As far as the fire aftermath, we're back in our house...finally. Actually it feels like somebodyelse's house, it was gutted to the foundation and exterior brick and rebuilt. The floorplan is mostly the same, but we updated what had been a 30 year old house to look and feel much more modern. For all intents and purposes it is a new house, and the funny part is, I didn't want a new house. I guess this one will be home before long. Moved all my quads back to my garage today. They had been at my brothers in a shed, feels good to get them back. I'm putting together my workshop/garage in what I hope will be a more efficient way, new workbenches, new shelving and cabinets. I even got a few banners that were left over after the awards banquet to hang on the walls.
That makes sense with the rotor/sprocket guard affecting the carrier. Mine went out on the Raptor this past year and I never really thought about it having to do with running a sprocket guard with a cut plastic skid

Thats all good to hear that you are pretty much back on your feet from the fire. I really hated hearing that that had happened to you, but maybe it was a chance for some things to start over fresh. Now you and your girls are going to be able to take out all the new quads and win another season!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking on trying to make the July GNCC in Ohio, if you're close, come through a leg over and see what you think. You're 6'4" if I remember right, I'm a couple inches shorter, but the Outlaw feels pretty good for someone my height. The stem is pretty tall and the ergonomics are simple and work well. The front fenders are small but seem to be too close when I really have to get off the seat and tuck in low. All-in-all it's a damned raceable quad and I'm surprized I don't see more of them, but hey, it's Hondamania around here with YFZs coming in a distant second.
oh man i wish i was 6'4" :lol: im about 6 even! but i think i am going to try to make ohio this year.. i know i will be at both indiana races as they are within 40 mins for me give or take a few!

thats good to hear your getting all settled in the house! it will feel like home soon enough im sure.. just glad everyone was safe for ya!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts