Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know some are gonna say its a waste of money for 11.1 compression, but I live in California limited to 91octane. I don't mid spending the money on a better quality gas or mixture to maybe preserve the motor or run optimal. Last year I ran straight VP T4 and it seemed to run fine. Now I'm thinking maybe a 60/40 mix with pump gas just to lower the octane a little from the 100 octane T4 is rated at. I did notice the head pipes did not radiate as much as normal. Not sure if that's good or not. I always wear shorts at Sand Mountain, Nevada, and always notice the heat from the head pipes burning my legs. That did not happen when running the T4 VP Race Fuel. Anybody have any thoughts on Race Fuels, mixtures of Race Fuels, and anything related to lower compression bikes and race fuel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok I'm new to this forum but I've been on other Raptor Forums for a long time. Surprised no one has cared to chime in on your question. I realize also this is an old post but I figure I'll at least provide some input from experience.

When you run higher octane fuels you're trying to prevent pre-detonation due to increased cylinder pressure. You're not going to like this answer but for a mild compression ratio like 11:1 it's a complete waste to use slower burning fuel. 91 octane is more than enough to safely run 11:1. If you're noticing cooler pipes it's because you're running a race fuel that burns slower, this is dampening performance not improving it. Additionally it does not mean your engine will last longer... You may notice the pipes cooler but again this is because you are likely running too rich. Run the 91 and save the money. If you decide to go up to 12.5:1 or higher than consider running race fuel. If you absolutely have to anyway... run 50-50 or less to kick your octane up a little. VP is also all I've used since it's actually the best price where I'm from and never had an issue on any of my built bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts