Modded Raptors Forum banner

WHICH CAM?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WHICH ONE? & WHY?

Give 'US' your honest opinions! Give 'US' your expert opinions! Please note IF or IF NOT aftermarket Springs are REQUIRED! Also, IF NOT REQUIRED, WOULD or WOULD NOT purchasing Srings be a deficit in power!

Basically, 'WE' want to know everything there is to KNOW about CAMS!

Be as breif or as detailed as you please, but please give 'US' your PRO'S or CON'S of the CAM World!

BUILDER'S as well as the NOVICE are all welcome!!!

Let the Information Hi-way, commence!!!

NOTES:
Like asked below, please state your current spec's as well as your choosen activity!

When voting 'OTHER' please DEFINE!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think everyone should fill the Modded Raptor community in on where they ride as well...Different cams for different terrain. Then there's the draggers.......:lol:

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
I always recommend springs.
The cam is to be chosen by what type of riding you do and the mods done to the engine.
I never recommend a "stage I" cam unless your talking about the X1 from Megacycle.
Megacycle is the ONLY company that knows how to properly weld and regrind stock cams.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think everyone should fill Modded Raptor in on where they ride as well...Didfferent cams for different terrain. Then there's draggers.......:lol:
thats just what i was going to say so many cams and a lot of different types of riding maybe we can tell what type of riding and motor build with what cam :thumb:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
thats just what i was going to say so many cams and a lot of different types of riding maybe we can tell what type of riding and motor build with what cam :thumb:
Yep, and I wish I could add my experience thus far.....but I have to try mine out first....*Need to break her in*:rockon:

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My spec's:
Drag Strip 'Dirt' - ??? feet, Altitude 1404 feet, 3 Mod - LTE, PCIII, PRO DESIGN w/ Pro Tec Lid and Uni-Filter, current hp rating, 48.13 - torgue unkown, currently, Stock gearing, 21 ITP GNCC Rears, 22 Maxxis RazrII Fronts. Rider's weight: 210 lbs

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
What piston are you going to go with and what octane fuel are you going to run?

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pump Gas, no Piston decision, yet... would like to try ONLY Cam for now... May decide to go w/JE when Piston enters into equation. WATCHA THINK?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cam only is just fine. It's a good stepping stone to other mods. I really liked my rappy as a 6-mod with the +2 TB and Dynatek ignition added to the cam. In fact, if I hadn't already bought the piston and a spare head to get ported, I might have left it as a 6-mod and been happy (for a while anyway). I ride dunes and desert with most of my mods aimed at dunes. I am strongly leaning towards the Stage 3 Hotcam and selling my Stage 2. Gotta beat those KTMs somehow.

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As always, thanks Russ! Please continue, everyone!

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a six mod, is knocking on my door. Wonder how many bones, this is gonna - be?

Oh, Bo White... you hereing, this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
SEVEN00, I could maybe help you with the porting. I won the June raffle on Raptor forums.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I noticed a huge difference in the power of mine when i added the stage 2 HC. It feels like it wants to rev to the moon now, almost like a 450. I cant decide which front sproket to try though, i seem to have lost a little on the bottom end to im tryin gto compensate for that by going to a 13t front. i think i could pull 3rd real good with a bit more low end torque. i see soon enough.

·
Registered
424 Posts
X-4 or HC Stage 3 for any style of riding. If you feel that you have lost torque, go down a tooth on on the countershaft sprocket. I keep trying to spread the gospel about this engine and it's short rod/stroke ratio........It wants all you can feed it. I have about a half dozen customers using the X-4 and they absolutely rave about it, and they do every kind of riding from dunes, dirt track and trails to pissing off the neighbors while riding up and down the road.

The latest and most notable being the build that Siverbullet (Chris) is working on. It is using the new head from Tim Barker,+3mm TB, and 11:1 compression on pump gas. There is always theory getting tossed around........Everyone was convinced that the Barker head was WAY too big for a stock displacement build, the cam was way too big, and the +3 TB was overkill, not to mention the relatively low compression.

My only contribution to this build was to keep assuring everyone that it was not too much, and could still use more......End result? It absolutely screams! More power everywhere and it isn't completely dialed in yet (injector issues). Looks like it is gonna lay down 72+ hp without a custom curve, or hand fitting the piston to deck clearance.....NICE! When you go to a serious build like this, it is probably a good idea to get a shift light as it is very hard to stay off the rev limiter, which means you were riding well above the power peak anyway.

The stage 3 Hotcam acts very similar.....And I have not seen any failures of the stock springs yet. I have always heard how stock springs would not be good..... This just seems to be speculation. I know guys that run till the motor is slam wore out, then they freshen it up with a HC piston and a Hotcam (on the stock springs) and keep beatin' the piss out of it with no problems.

Any of these cams need to be used with an adjustable ignition. Once you get a custom curve in there to raise initial timing and bring the total advance in sooner, it kills a smaller cam motor everywhere......Bottom to top:D

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
Russ, you should be already outrunnin the KTMs with your build.

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HC-1 info from their website:

Intake
Intake lift (mm): 9.6
Intake lobe center (degrees): 111.75
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 253.5
Intake valve lash (mm): 0.1

Exhaust
Exhaust lift (mm): 8.6
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 102
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 243
Exhaust valve lash (mm): 0.18

Note:
Divide mm values by 25.4 for inches.

Description:
Stage 1: single-cam motor. Good midrange and top-end. Uses stock auto-decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Intake

Intake lift (mm): 10.3
Intake lobe center (degrees): 111
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 260

Exhaust
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 102.5
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 243

Note:

Description:
Stage 2: single-cam motor. Excellent top-end and great over rev. Uses stock auto-decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Intake

Intake lift (mm): 10.3
Intake lobe center (degrees): 112.5
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 268
Exhaust

Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 102
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 255

Note:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
X-4 or HC Stage 3 for any style of riding. If you feel that you have lost torque, go down a tooth on on the countershaft sprocket. I keep trying to spread the gospel about this engine and it's short rod/stroke ratio........It wants all you can feed it. I have about a half dozen customers using the X-4 and they absolutely rave about it, and they do every kind of riding from dunes, dirt track and trails to pissing off the neighbors while riding up and down the road.

The latest and most notable being the build that Siverbullet (Chris) is working on. It is using the new head from Tim Barker,+3mm TB, and 11:1 compression on pump gas. There is always theory getting tossed around........Everyone was convinced that the Barker head was WAY too big for a stock displacement build, the cam was way too big, and the +3 TB was overkill, not to mention the relatively low compression.

My only contribution to this build was to keep assuring everyone that it was not too much, and could still use more......End result? It absolutely screams! More power everywhere and it isn't completely dialed in yet (injector issues). Looks like it is gonna lay down 72+ hp without a custom curve, or hand fitting the piston to deck clearance.....NICE! When you go to a serious build like this, it is probably a good idea to get a shift light as it is very hard to stay off the rev limiter, which means you were riding well above the power peak anyway.

The stage 3 Hotcam acts very similar.....And I have not seen any failures of the stock springs yet. I have always heard how stock springs would not be good..... This just seems to be speculation. I know guys that run till the motor is slam wore out, then they freshen it up with a HC piston and a Hotcam (on the stock springs) and keep beatin' the piss out of it with no problems.

Any of these cams need to be used with an adjustable ignition. Once you get a custom curve in there to raise initial timing and bring the total advance in sooner, it kills a smaller cam motor everywhere......Bottom to top:D
Kenny, this is a little off topic guys sorry. I will be doing a cam in my quad soon and I am going with the HC3. I was wondering what ignition I should go with. I've seen a stock piston 6-mod quad make almost 60 HP with the dynatek NON-programmable ignition. This seems like more than enough power to me. Do you think You would get Noticable gain if you went to a Programmable ignition using the #2 curve or should a programmable ignition ALWAYS have a custom curve? Is the NON-programmable ignition the same curve as the #2 curve on the programmable.

I ask this because I am trying to compromise between building power and not totally pissing off my wife she's already mad:mad1: about the big 3!

I am going with the HC3 because I wont need to do the valve springs. I am lazy and cheap and don't feel like doing the springs if I don't have to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts