Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm trying to install my HC Stage II and I have already removed necessary components as per the service manual. I didn't have a slide hammer for the rocker arm retaining pins so I had to rig something up....Well it worked but no I'm having trouble pulling the cam....the manual says to just: "Remove the camshaft" in the next step, but I'm not finding it that easy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
486 Posts
once you remove both threaded pins that hold the rocker arms in and all of the decompression lever and cam sprocket and all that stuff it off the front of the cam it should come straight out.
Are the rocker arms out of the head. i dont see a reason that it hasnt fell out yet if all of that stuff is off.. There isnt anything else to hold it in.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
once you remove both threaded pins that hold the rocker arms in and all of the decompression lever and cam sprocket and all that stuff it off the front of the cam it should come straight out.
Are the rocker arms out of the head. i dont see a reason that it hasnt fell out yet if all of that stuff is off.. There isnt anything else to hold it in.
First off...thanks for replying brother...:thumb: Everything is removed per the manual...all the threaded pins/decomp levers sprockets/retainers/, and the rocker arms are out. I'm thinking the left bearing is pressed into the cam housing somewhat.....:eyebrow: I'm thinking the same thing you are which is: "it should just come right out" but it's not. BTW, another question for ya....Hotcams says that I may not be able to use the factory decompression pin with the Stage II.....So what do you do if that's the case? Just leave it out?:eyebrow:

·
Registered
486 Posts
i used mine. I kept all my stock stuff when i did my piston and cam install. Not sure what to tell you about the cam thing then.. Mine actually fell out when i leaned the head forward some. I have no idea what is holding it on. Can you rotate the cam some and see if the pin is moving up and down in there. I just dont know what to tell ya man.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i used mine. I kept all my stock stuff when i did my piston and cam install. Not sure what to tell you about the cam thing then.. Mine actually fell out when i leaned the head forward some. I have no idea what is holding it on. Can you rotate the cam some and see if the pin is moving up and down in there. I just dont know what to tell ya man.

Finally got it out...I just went through the intake side of the valves and lightly tapped the cam to the left....Thanks for your help man. I'm working on getting the decomp pin installed as we speak...thanks.:thumb:

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
I know that this is a done deal, now BUT I have heard that when removing a CAM you must losen the head bolts... or the CAM will not come out! Diggs, did you losen the head bolts a tad?

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
Dont know why you would have to loosten anything but the timing chain. Remove the cam tensioner, chain, sprocket, rockers, cam retainer plate and the cam will come right out.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that this is a done deal, now BUT I have heard that when removing a CAM you must losen the head bolts... or the CAM will not come out! Diggs, did you losen the head bolts a tad?

Nah, I didn't because the manual never said to...I got it out with no problem after I gently tapped on it though.:thumb: Just had to get it to start moving and she came right out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts