Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new chain from TQS when i got my +2 swinger. I broke my master link to the new chain while drag racing last weekend. I got with my buddy from yamaha and had him pick me up a new master link this weekend. I have been outside for 10 mins straight trying to get the new master link on there. It just wont work for me. I get all the way to the part where i try to put the locking mechanism on there and it just wont go. ive tried pliers and flat head screw drivers and have 10 cuts all on my hands from both. Its like there isnt quite enough of that groove sticking out so that the locking mechanism will go on there and click or whatever..

my question is will the stock oem master link fit the +2 chain i got from steve.. he isnt on right now or id ask him..lol thanks guys.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it's an O-ring chain I wouldn't try to use a different brand master link. The seals are all designed differently between brands and they may not seal up correctly with a different brand link. You may have to use your chain breaker to help push the master link thorugh far enough to get the clip to go on. I know I have always had to use the chain breaker (CAREFULLY) on each pin to get them in far enough.

SS

·
Registered
112 Posts
+2 probab;y just have to give the master a little clamping to get it on there so enough of the clip groove is showing. After you get the clip on take a flat head and pry the link apart so the clip can have a little more clamping force. If you ever plan on doing another chain i highly recomend geting a chain press. Save a ton of hassel and alot of life for your fingers. They are like 14 bucks from rocky mountain. And if you ever buy the rk or did super gold chains you have to have it because they dont even come with a clip it is just locked on there by pressing the link together. As far as master links an o ring is and o ring but i think the stock raptor didnt have o rings like the after market chains.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got a new chain from TQS when i got my +2 swinger. I broke my master link to the new chain while drag racing last weekend. I got with my buddy from yamaha and had him pick me up a new master link this weekend. I have been outside for 10 mins straight trying to get the new master link on there. It just wont work for me. I get all the way to the part where i try to put the locking mechanism on there and it just wont go. ive tried pliers and flat head screw drivers and have 10 cuts all on my hands from both. Its like there isnt quite enough of that groove sticking out so that the locking mechanism will go on there and click or whatever..

my question is will the stock oem master link fit the +2 chain i got from steve.. he isnt on right now or id ask him..lol thanks guys.
this happened to me the other day...i had to drill out the piece that goed on the link b4 the locking pin...it was just a hair to small to peen over the groove...after that it went on like i charm...my chain was a DID 520 O ring chain...

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
HOW TO INSTALL A MASTER LINK

One fer JB =]

Tip for master link installation, take a spare side plate from an old chain and take a c-clamp, remove the mushroomed head off of the c-clamp that is on the contact surface of the c-clamp and sharpen it so it will fit on the spare side plate. Use the side plate and the c-clamp to pre squeeze the master link then remove the c-clamp and side plate when finished the masterlink clip should go together effortlessly.

The tip was brought to you by: Muppear Inc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies.. i talked with steve on the phone the other day and he said he is pretty sure that the OEM master link wont work for the chain i have. I am glad its just not me and im not going crazy. He is sending me a few masterlinks for the chain i have. My hands have scabs on them from getting that stupid clip to work. I would have so much force on it and then it wont go so it slips off and i bang my hand on something back there. Ive got about 6 or so spots that are previous bleeders from this stupid trial and error series.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
this happened to me the other day...i had to drill out the piece that goed on the link b4 the locking pin...it was just a hair to small to peen over the groove...after that it went on like i charm...my chain was a DID 520 O ring chain...
I have the same chain. I gave my buddy the master link and the plate would not go on. I had to use a chain tool to press it on.(would have drilled it but we were in the woods)

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
muppear in these here woods, we call these here clips... Jesus Clips! When you just get them to go in place and they fly to some other side of the galaxy what do you say... JESUS wher'd dat go :lol:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i got my master links from steve @ Tech quad shop and it went on perfect.. i had to tap a flat head screw driver with a hammer to get it to snap but its on finally. I knew i couldnt get that master link from yamaha to go on there and i wasnt going crazy.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
well i got my master links from steve @ Tech quad shop and it went on perfect.. i had to tap a flat head screw driver with a hammer to get it to snap but its on finally. I knew i couldnt get that master link from yamaha to go on there and i wasnt going crazy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: are you sure your not crazy.

glad you got it together man.. :thumb:

·
Registered
380 Posts
My question is, why did the master link break in the first place? I had the same problem with my master link failing and teeth breaking off of the sprockets. I switched to the sidewinder cryotreated smart chain and ti-II sprockets and no more troubles. They are very pricy but if you have alot of torque and are a lard azz like me you will have to upgrade to a stronger setup sooner or later. jmo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts