Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Raptor 700 has a cooling system problem.
The coolant is collecting in to the coolant reservoir and pushing out the vent tube.
I took the radiator cap off the started it. I let it idle and could see the coolant start to move in the radiator. Then the coolant just poured out of the radiator from the cap hole. I turned it off and it gave a big belch and a little more poured out.
I took the thermostat out and put it in boiling water and it opened up. Put it back together did the same thing as mentioned before and the same thing happened.
I just put a cam, piston, and +1 head on it. I’ve been riding it with no issues till just the other day when I saw that coolant had came out of the reservoir vent tube and all over the front end.
Thanks for looking!
Any ideas?

·
Registered
924 Posts
how much riding have you done before it puked all over the place? if not much i would say it had air stuck in it, but if you had some time on it it may be a head gasket.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me too, if you don't get a good seal the compression will push into the coolant system and cause this.

·
Registered
302 Posts
x3 on the head gasket. If you know someone in the automotive mechanic biz, see if they'll let you borrow a coolant pressure tester. It goes in the place of the radiator cap. You pump it up to 16psi, with the motor cold, and see if it drops. If it does, find the leak.

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put quite a bit of riding on it but it was really cold out. It just started when it got warmer outside.
It has a Cosmetic gasket kit on it. I just read the thread about Comparing Cosmetic and OEM Head Gasket.
So I should get the OEM head gasket?

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments! I have an OEM head gasket on order express shipping.
I was getting nerves because I’m planning on going to the sand dunes opening on the 1st.
Still haven’t felt the full effects of the new build.
Thanks, I appreciated it!

·
Registered
380 Posts
What I can tell you is that most head gasket issues are caused from not being clean enough when installing. Make sure everything is super clean and dry when putting on the new gasket. I use brake cleaner, I have seen guys use paint thinner, alcohol, and several other cleaners. Just make sure it is clean and dry. Put some lube on the threads of the head bolts to get an accurate torque reading.

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I can tell you is that most head gasket issues are caused from not being clean enough when installing. Make sure everything is super clean and dry when putting on the new gasket. I use brake cleaner, I have seen guys use paint thinner, alcohol, and several other cleaners. Just make sure it is clean and dry. Put some lube on the threads of the head bolts to get an accurate torque reading.
Thanks, I'll make sure it's all clean and dry.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mines doing the same exact thing, its the headgasket, was going to replace it this weekend. Im pressure sure mines from reusing the stock head bolts a few times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts