Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weve got the final specs done on this Custom Lectron Carburetor setup! It uses the OEM TB boot for a hassle free carb connection, Everything is custom and billet, BIG Billet bowl does not require a fuel pump, custom HDD spec needle, great weight savings over efi for drag bikes and will not flood on any incline, to top that off the rideability is excellent! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It lost an extra 10lbs in 8 mins.
yes, tank/ wire harness, PC3, dynatek, intake tube and battery box... + weight in fuel

i forgot about fuel weight and a few other things

the efi motors like about 1.5 gal to support the pump for cavitating on incline.
the small tank takes a max of .75 gal

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
yeah, i forgot about fuel weight and a few other things

the efi motors like about 1.5 gal to support the pump for cavitating on incline.
the small tank takes a max of .75 gal
Anything to back up the 1.5 gal thing? You can also run a small tank with efi.

So were back to maybe a 8lbs savings.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anything to back up the 1.5 gal thing? You can also run a small tank with efi.

So were back to maybe a 8lbs savings.
YES, Having a bike cavitate and stall on a incline (start ramp) with 1 gal fuel in it
whats your point BOB?
we also weighed the bike on EFI before and after.
we also had an aluminum drag tank for the efi which held 1 gal, its weight saving was not worth its looks

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
YES, Having a bike cavitate and stall on a incline (start ramp) with 1 gal fuel in it

THERE IS AN EASY FIX FOR THAT
whats your point BOB?
Just discussing the efi -v- carb thing DAN

we also weighed the bike on EFI before and after.
we also had an aluminum drag tank for the efi which held 1 gal, its weight saving was not worth its looks
They have external efi pumps if the looks offend you.
The weight is still maybe 8 lbs.
mm

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your wasting your words... this is not an EFi vs Carb thread,

the weight saving is just a plus... even if its only 8 lbs as you say...its not all about the weight, its about an easy conversion setup that works great...

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
So if the weight savings is a plus. Then it's a performance gain?

Your third post said it was a 10lbs. weight savings then change it 8 minutes later to 20lbs. Stating then the stock set up needs 1.50 gal. and the carb tank only need .75gal. That's 10 lbs for 3/4 if a gal. correct?
I guessed 2lbs difference between a race tank and stock.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yes a good performance gain...thats what the conversion is all about, and getting rid of the factory restrictions and sub-par ignition system....taking the bike down for a complicated mess to a very Simplistic system.......... tank and additional fuel load was additional 10 lbs

EFI build Vs carb build

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
All the chart shows is that you had a tuning and or ign. issue over 8500. Other then that the efi more then held it's own.

I understand the weight loss for racers and the ease of tuning.

I do like carbs, Cut my teeth on them in the 80's . Heck my dad still runs them on his 40 Ford.

·
Registered
359 Posts
looks like the efi made better power compared to the carb. the rev out for the carb is pretty sick though. what kind of ignition are you using for the carb set up?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MSD SINGLE CYL PROGRAMMABLE

The efi was pushed to its limits on this build....
the chart shows the limitations of the factory ecu even when it is over ridden to rev 9300 instead of 8800 rpm... the ignition control is part of the OEM ECU....without converting to an EXPENSIVE and very time consuming Stand Alone ECU, EFI is dead @ 9k

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
looks like the efi made better power compared to the carb. the rev out for the carb is pretty sick though. what kind of ignition are you using for the carb set up?
thanks, there is a ton of power potential with this setup,,,over a 2600 rpm spread (shift drop 2-3) the CARB pulls an average of 80 hp where the Efi is an average of 75 hp...
thats a 5 hp difference is usable powerband and that is not counting the gains from linear acceleration to the shift point making for a very strong pull throughout the curve

·
Registered
521 Posts
yes a good performance gain...thats what the conversion is all about, and getting rid of the factory restrictions and sub-par ignition system....taking the bike down for a complicated mess to a very Simplistic system.......... tank and additional fuel load was additional 10 lbs

EFI build Vs carb build

I would say a good bit of the gains from that would have come from the ignition itself. I think the carb setup would be a very realistic alternative for the guys that dont have a ton of r&d time or $$ to pay someone for r$d. The ignition system on the raptor is my biggest hold up at the moment 10pds is a big difference and it would give you the more options to run simpler lighter igntions is pretty cool. But i still think efi will make more power and better times come racing it just takes a substaintal amount more work.

I have found ways to make these pull flat rpm/tq from 7k-9k with stock ignition/efi but it wasnt until recently. Also your going to need a pretty big carb to pull 800+ cc builds, anyways looks cool

·
Registered
521 Posts
So if the weight savings is a plus. Then it's a performance gain?

Your third post said it was a 10lbs. weight savings then change it 8 minutes later to 20lbs. Stating then the stock set up needs 1.50 gal. and the carb tank only need .75gal. That's 10 lbs for 3/4 if a gal. correct?
I guessed 2lbs difference between a race tank and stock.
my efi setup runs about 1/3 gallon, but the pump/regulator are heavier than a stock one, i think my full wire harness all fuel lines pump/ reg everything fuel related besides tb and wiring related, beside coil weigh about the same as a stock tank with 1-1.5 gallon of fuel (im guessing but i know they are close)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the carb is pretty heathy sized and has been tested well into the 90 's as well...
9k just doesen't get it done anymore for our application. a lot depends on the intake tube and filter design to make the bikes rev as well, both carb and efi.

the Carb setup is not without its R&D time well spent.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts