Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if their front brakes seem really tight im pretty sure mine are too tight but i dont know i took the front wheels off today and the brake pads are rubbing all the way around the rotar and the hub doesnt spin freely at all!! Im wondering if i can just loosen the allen bolts on the caliper and that will free it up or will that cause the allen bolts to loosen and fall out over time?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
No on loosening the allen bolts :eyebrow:
I would make sure the brakes are bled correctly :coolshades:
That is NOT normal unless you are holding the front brake lever.
Are you saying both pads, one on each side of the rotor are tight against the rotor?
Are you sayng both left and right wheels are tight?

If I give either of my front tires a good spin, they will spin freely five or more complete revolutions on their own :thumb:.

·
Registered
263 Posts
definately a problem there id def look into that...fluids and what not... are your pads finished? hows the rotor look is it warped?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything seems to be straight and not bent or warped but it could be slightly it seem like the brake pads are too thick which im pretty sure is not the case but thats exactly what its like because they are just rubbing all the time!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
So.....both right and left front wheel have the same issue?
Can you spin the wheels and they continue spinning freely for a few revolutions when off the ground?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are both exactly the same but i have a feeling the dealership might not cover them because i hit a tree but that was only on the left side and i know it was doing it before that happened! If i just lightly sping the tire it will stop almost imediatly and it stops abrubtly like its easy to tell that something is grabbing and with the wheel off and i try to spin the hub it wont spin on its own at all!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
So....it was this way when you bought it?
Or...did you do a brake job and then you had these issues?
What you really need to do is re-install the pads making sure you have the correct pads. Then if everything is correct there.....check your master cylinder.
Now...if you bought it this way from a dealership......then they should cover it.
You definitely have something that should be adjusted.
Tell the dealership the faulty brakes caused you to hit a tree :lol:.

You might also check your brake line for kinks or blockage (this should be apparent during the bleeding process).

You might just crack your bleeders to see if the pads relax.

Page 7-16 of the Service Manual tells you all about installing brake pads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem with mine.
Took it out riding with no problems, came home washed it and let it sit for a few days. When I went to push it both front brakes were grabbing hard enough that I couldn't move it around.
I pulled the wheels, took the calipar off and removed the pads, cleaned everything up and put it back together - problem solved.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the same problem with mine.
Took it out riding with no problems, came home washed it and let it sit for a few days. When I went to push it both front brakes were grabbing hard enough that I couldn't move it around.
I pulled the wheels, took the calipar off and removed the pads, cleaned everything up and put it back together - problem solved.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok i will try to take them off but my dad is always anal about me doing stuff myself because thinks ill mess up the warranty so i always do it when hes not around! I assume was like this when i got it because i have never done anything to the brakes at all on it!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well....like jbolt says........calipers can get dirty.....but we do not want you to get in trouble with your dad. So....best to consult him first. You can download the service manual from this forum. It is normal to learn this stuff and you have to start somewhere.

http://www.moddedraptor.com/library.php

I am sure JOHNNY BAJA would appreciate a 700 Specific "How-To" on doing a brake job if it comes to that. http://moddedraptor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Let us know how it goes or if you want the 700 Specific "How-To" on brake job. We can create that if you like.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wont get in trouble with him since i dont really live with him he just gets mad about that stuff!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts