Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is what I am doing. I am planning on installing a 11.5:1 piston, hc3, beehive valve springs and oem base and head gaskets. I wanted to know what everyone thinks on if I should get aftermarket head studs. If they won't help I don't want to spend the money but I also don't want to blow head gaskets.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would the money be better spent on studs or a +3tb? Last time I checked they were the same price

·
Registered
386 Posts
Studs=more reliability. TB=more power, which always means less reliability. If you measure the studs you need and write all the specs down you can call ARP directly and they will find you what you need, i just did that with cylinder studs. 800.826.3045, theres their number. I got my 4 studs and nuts for around 45 bucks shipped. head studs should be cheaper because they are smaller. If you get them cheap you might be able to pull off getting both. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
from what i hear u wont need them, not high enough comp to madder

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Studs=more reliability. TB=more power, which always means less reliability. If you measure the studs you need and write all the specs down you can call ARP directly and they will find you what you need, i just did that with cylinder studs. 800.826.3045, theres their number. I got my 4 studs and nuts for around 45 bucks shipped. head studs should be cheaper because they are smaller. If you get them cheap you might be able to pull off getting both. :thumb:
45 for all of them or each head stud?

·
MOMMA'S BOY
1,903 Posts
my ARP studs costed about 115 for all 6..... I think its worth it for peace of mind...mite not need them with 11:1 compression but still

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get them for 115? everywhere I look it's more like 150-175. Except kds but can't get them there anymore.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You'll probably here both sides on this one. For what it's worth I re-used mine for 11:1 and have over 50 hrs on now with no issues with +5 crank, 5050 cam, and the +3 tb you are eyeballing.

Make sure you use the engine assembly lube on the studs when you re-install them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
would the money be better spent on studs or a +3tb? Last time I checked they were the same price
I say the money would be better spent on a +3TB since you are only on 11.5 and still stockbore. New OEM head gasket should hold up fine as long as the mating surfaces are not warped. Maybe a cheaper option would be to replace your old head bolts with new OEM ones for peace of mind.

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,061 Posts
I am running a simular set up as you are (11:1 piston, HC2, OEM gaskets) and re-used the factory head bolts and now have at least 50+ hours on them with no problems at all.

I didn't see that you had a PC3 or not, if not I would get one before the +3 TB. You can find them on any of the Raptor sites $200 or less.

·
Registered
143 Posts
deffinetly +3TB. thes tock studs will be good until you decide to go bigbore. ive had as many different combo's as one could imagineand used stockbolts until this 770build ijust did

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am running a simular set up as you are (11:1 piston, HC2, OEM gaskets) and re-used the factory head bolts and now have at least 50+ hours on them with no problems at all.

I didn't see that you had a PC3 or not, if not I would get one before the +3 TB. You can find them on any of the Raptor sites $200 or less.
Yeah I think I'm getting a pcv

·
Registered
41 Posts
The beehive springs are unnecessary for the hc3. Stick with stock springs they have the proper seat pressure for the hot cams. That came directly out out of a Hot Cams Tech guy. Ph: 515-402-8005

Directly off there website:
Description:
Stage 2: single-cam motor. Excellent top-end and great over rev. Uses stock auto-decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

Description:
Stage 3: Single cam engine. Drastically improves top-end with over rev. Uses stock auto-decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was told by several people aftermarket valve springs are recommended for hc3 including DL700 and Kim with K&T. They hold up better with that cam.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's not gonna hurt it, it's just wasted money. Call Hot Cams, I assume they should know there product better than any engine builder.

It's your money bro, I just figure you'd rather have the money to spend on a tb or something else that you actually need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.