Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what i'm doing wrong i went up a few rolling hills today about 3 feet high i rolled on the throttle nice and smooth but when it hit th hill the back seems like it bucks in the air and the front kinda hand stand rolls like a front rolling wheelie. i have stock suspension i weigh 193 i tried hitting the jump sitting that work then i tried standing with my weight shifted back a little is there a write up of a good jumping thread anywhere on the net. Or can one of you jumpers make one

·
WILD ONES
887 Posts
hit the throttle right before take off and see if that helps :)
Throttle brings the front end up rear brake will bring the front end down.. You want to keep a smooth throttle and then a little extra right before the top. You always want to land on your back tires:thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
My take: Airing out off rolling hills is more of a momentum thing than a throttle blip thing like off ramps. Perhaps try increased speed and a higher gear, and think of it as you continuing over the hill versus hitting a ramp and being pitched upwards.

Either way, you likely need to hold the throttle longer to keep from landing front wheels first.

It's really a different situation for different people and practice will be the only cure. Have fun, trust in yourself and your quad, and the physics will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To gain your confidence pick an approach speed and stick with it throughout the jump. Slowly increase your spped each time until your happy with the distance you're covering.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stand up, flex your knees in time with the suspension working. Practice and you'll get your timing down. Sitting is only gonna get you bucked off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should i press my feet down hard as hell on the pegs or just relax it seems like when i relax i end up doing this weird spread eagle/super man just holding on for dear life.

·
Registered
263 Posts
your going to have to learn to follow the momentum of the bike...with the proper speed it should almost coast over the jump and land just slightly on the rear first...

i always dig my feet in the pegs and bend at the knees...i let the speed take care of the bike....i just worry about following the quad in the air

practice makes perfect...also you have the adjustable shocks maybe playing with em a bit might help..

i have my fronts setup stiff and the rear medium...:rockon:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know mine sags too much when i sit on it. it's real soft but i don't have the tool to turn the shock up or i think down

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, push down on pegs. You want your legs to work with the suspension. Speed,timing all come into play. Try practicing 1st before playing with suspension.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the tool to do the rear shock is fairly cheap or you could use a screwdriver and malet...

·
Registered
112 Posts
this may sound stupid but if your 08 has alot of time on it working the suspention the rear shock oil may be dead. In my 06 i was getting some really strange suspension action one time i would adjust it it would feel good and 5 mins later i would kill my back and neck. A buddy of mine that deals with cannondale told me of a guy in wisconson that had a raptor that was having about the same problem. Long story short he told me yamaha uses junk oil in all there shocks and it dies or looses all it viscosity after a shock period. I really didnt buy into it all but for 35 bucks i told him i would try it. Got it back from him honest to gosh night and day diffrence didnt even feel like the same machine. Did the same thing with the front it was also, a great improvement. His name on here is cannondale27. I dont think on an 08 it would be bad that fast but if you ride alot and work the suspension alot it possible. figured i would throw it out there:thumb:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would say to try a bigger jump....I'm serious those 3 foot jumps do tend to buck the back end of the quad. I have have my raptor for two months now and I was always a pussy when it came to jumping. I have learned that a bigger jump with more speed is WAY easier to hit than a small jump.

I think that the main points are to maintain a good solid speed in whatever gear you feel comfterble, stand up bend at the knees get your body into the attack position and, most important of all hit the throttle when you hit the face of the jump.

I started hitting jumps in second with the quad wound out a little, now I hit most jumps in third gear and I have the engine in the midrange of the power. Blip that throttle when you hit the face of the jump that wil allow the quad to carry itself over the jump and project it outward. If you let off the throttle or hold your speed steady it will make the quad buck in the rear. This sounds like what is happening to you. Blip that throttle!!!!:rockon:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that may damn well be it! i was riding a pretty constant speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
stand up, bend knee's, grip bike loosly with your knee's this should put you into jumping postion throttle thru jump ....start small and work your way up....
commit to jump ( no fear )............
sit back a little (if front is coming down first ) but keep practicing and you'll figure out where the sweet spot is for your weight and jumping style....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Throttle brings the front end up rear brake will bring the front end down.. You want to keep a smooth throttle and then a little extra right before the top. You always want to land on your back tires:thumb:
right on,this was my 1st time EVER jumping, stedy throttle,than a tad more at take off..

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
right on,this was my 1st time EVER jumping, stedy throttle,than a tad more at take off..

Show off...:lol:

·
Registered
840 Posts
this may sound stupid but if your 08 has alot of time on it working the suspention the rear shock oil may be dead. In my 06 i was getting some really strange suspension action one time i would adjust it it would feel good and 5 mins later i would kill my back and neck. A buddy of mine that deals with cannondale told me of a guy in wisconson that had a raptor that was having about the same problem. Long story short he told me yamaha uses junk oil in all there shocks and it dies or looses all it viscosity after a shock period. I really didnt buy into it all but for 35 bucks i told him i would try it. Got it back from him honest to gosh night and day diffrence didnt even feel like the same machine. Did the same thing with the front it was also, a great improvement. His name on here is cannondale27. I dont think on an 08 it would be bad that fast but if you ride alot and work the suspension alot it possible. figured i would throw it out there:thumb:
man i think this happened to the rear shock in mine cuz it bottoms out so easy it ant funny

·
Registered
390 Posts
man i think this happened to the rear shock in mine cuz it bottoms out so easy it ant funny
If you adjust your shocks before they are broke in they will need readjusted, could be just a simple readjustment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts