Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FROM KBR : origional post--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a customers 700R we built for him as his duner.
We still have not removed the head.
The mods consist of:
Pro Design Intake
Dynatek Fuel Controller (KBR Mapping)
Dynatek Ignition (non programmable)
Ron Wood Pipe
KDS Bored Throttle Body
Hot Cam Stage 3

We had the exact same build with a stage 2 in it since last fall. We wanted to try the new stage 3 ina a direct back to back , change the cam on the dyno comparison.

We were pleasantly surprised. It basically matches the lower end performance and gains a solid 3 hp on the top end.

Once again Hot Cams does it.
Yeah there is more power to be had with the big boy Megacycle X-4 and the likes, but I bet its not much since the last comparison I did with HC2 to a Meg X-4 was pretty similar looking to this.
We will see, I have a 804 that has a stage 2 in it coming in for a refresh and we are going to try a X-4 and a stage 3 on the dyno and see the total comparison on a fully built 700R.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
nice. and this cam does not need new springs and such right?

·
Registered
358 Posts
nice. and this cam does not need new springs and such right?
It does not require them, but I would recommend them as some people (like me) have had valve float trouble even with the stage 2.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
do you think if i run a cp piston will that help? sence they cut for extra clearence?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if u float a valve it will still hit the piston.....the extra relief cut is for larger valves or extreem duration............correct me if CP is doing something out of the ordinary with theirs............my next bike will have a stage 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i have no idea. was not sure what extra clearence ment when they said that about a piston. i think it is just a better idea to spend the 180 bucks on a spring kit.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
you got a point there tony. didnt really think of that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hotcams are a GREAT budget cam. But if you're going to run springs might as well throw down for the megacycles, IMHO if you're searching for the most power usually hotcams isn't the way to go...... it's just too bad Webb has let us down with their stage 3 :(
I have springs in mine now and am totally content with the hotcam. I may consider the stage 3, but at this time I have no intention of going to an X-2 or X-4. The X-1 might be tempting, but according to Bo, the X-2 and X-4 both need a more serious build to perform correctly, so if all you want is an 11:1 stock bore/stroke build, the hotcam is the way to go.

FWIW, Webb is junk no matter what stage, I have a stage 1 Webb sitting here that came from an extra head I bought, and it's junk. It's torn up as bad as any I've seen.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I have been selling stage 3 cams since they came out. I try talking everyone who asks for stage 2 into buying stage 3 but it just has not been popular. The word stage 3 seems to fear a lot of people into thinking its a drag only cam.

Ive got them for $140 shipped if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
killer price...........but u got to give some of those customers to KBR for the info....hahha

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I have springs in mine now and am totally content with the hotcam. I may consider the stage 3, but at this time I have no intention of going to an X-2 or X-4. The X-1 might be tempting, but according to Bo, the X-2 and X-4 both need a more serious build to perform correctly, so if all you want is an 11:1 stock bore/stroke build, the hotcam is the way to go.

FWIW, Webb is junk no matter what stage, I have a stage 1 Webb sitting here that came from an extra head I bought, and it's junk. It's torn up as bad as any I've seen.
Very true. If it is a mild build I would stick with the hotcam. I was more referring to yfmlovers bike, I know he wants to go a decent size build and haul ass. One of the biggest problems people have is overcamming their motors.

Webb is a GREAT cam company, I really don't understand why they let the Raptor community down with their cams. In pretty much every other atv, the Webb's just produce more power than available hotcams. Hotcams are usually a china cam with a boring ramp rate, you won't see that very often with with the aggressive or more "modern" ramp rates on a Webbcam, alot of that you can't even see on a dyno. I am not dissing on Hotcams at all, they are a great "budget" cam, I'm more disappointed with the cams that Webb released for our 700's :eyebrow:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WEBCAMS has lost a lot of customers for life......they are local to me here in so cal and would love to deal with them, but not with the kind of crap theyve been putting out....

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
thanks for the advice tony. it will be taken.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
WEBCAMS has lost a lot of customers for life......they are local to me here in so cal and would love to deal with them, but not with the kind of crap theyve been putting out....
I've been thinking about calling them and having a custom cam made to my specs, but I'm not sure if it would be safe. I wonder if all of their 700 cam's are junk for whatever reason, or if it's just the stage 3 or production cams.... I guess theres only one way to find out

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It does not require them, but I would recommend them as some people (like me) have had valve float trouble even with the stage 2.

Man, I seen where people have said that the springs are not required like you did and they've never heard of any problems either.......Now I'm torn on getting one.....How much more for the springs?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have been selling stage 3 cams since they came out. I try talking everyone who asks for stage 2 into buying stage 3 but it just has not been popular. The word stage 3 seems to fear a lot of people into thinking its a drag only cam.

Ive got them for $140 shipped if anyone is interested.

I heard that if you go to a Stage III that you have to bore out your head in order to make it fit? Is this correct? I'm definitely not engine saavy so anyone could tell me something and I'd believe them......If one was to decide on a Stage III over a Stage II what would the benefits be and what other work would you have to have done in order to get the Raptor running 100%?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I heard that if you go to a Stage III that you have to bore out your head in order to make it fit? Is this correct? I'm definitely not engine saavy so anyone could tell me something and I'd believe them......If one was to decide on a Stage III over a Stage II what would the benefits be and what other work would you have to have done in order to get the Raptor running 100%?
not 100% but it think your head clearence will be fine.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I've been thinking about calling them and having a custom cam made to my specs, but I'm not sure if it would be safe. I wonder if all of their 700 cam's are junk for whatever reason, or if it's just the stage 3 or production cams.... I guess theres only one way to find out

Big time quality control issues on all Stages of Cams....I've read about issues with WEB Cams on not only this forum but 3 or 4 more as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts