Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO ADJUST YOUR VALVES

First off I would like to send out a BIG THANKS to Mike Peavler for taking the time to put this together for all of us. This is probably the best detailed, step by step directions and it includes pictures that I've seen on any forum. This is so simple, even a Caveman could do it.

*** PLEASE NOTE - MIKE HAS NEW CONTACT INFORMATION

MIKE PEAVLER 1.765.587.8174 OR EMAIL AT [email protected]

Modded Raptor would like to thank Mike Peavler for the write up

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
NOTE:
The picture of the exhaust feeler gauge of .018/.457mm is incorrect.

The correct size should be .007/.178mm.:thumb:
"go" or "no go" technique

.007 goes
.008 does not

valve adjustments can also be done by just proping up the rear of the fuel tank a little more cramped but can be done quicker if u have the patience

·
Registered
103 Posts
On the site that he originally posted this on he said that he just grabbed a feeler just for the picture and that it wasnt the right one!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Referring to steps 29-30 in the picture section you just remove both the screws. The smaller hole is where you watch for the I mark. The larger hole is where you connect a 22mm socket to turn the engine until you reach top dead center (or where the I mark is).

Step 16 on the third sheet describes this in more detail.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I did two bikes tonight with aid of this this guide (and the experience of having done my own bike over at JB's place a little while back).

The bikes were both '07s and the spark plug wrench did not fit the 14mm Allen for the cover of the crank nut. I ended up finding a bolt in my toolbox that's head fit in the allen socket perfect. That plus a vice grip and I was in business.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Love this write up. Used it again today, even though I remember how to do it, it is still a great guide to make sure you are doing everything you should be.

·
Registered
909 Posts
TQS and RM sell the tappet tools but you don't 'need' them to do it.

I got my feeler gauges at Sears. It was hard to find a set with a good assortment of the metric sizes so you can do a go/no-go test with them. Most don't list the specific sizes included. This is the only reason you want to look for a 'metric' set.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did this this weekend. I did have one problem with the 14mm allen key. (totally forgot about the spark plug tool)

so I found a 14mm nut and bolt. welded the nut in place and used a 14mm socket to get it off.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Just wanted to add what a Nice write up this is:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi from portugal..

just followed this tutorial about adjusting the valves, did it exactly like here, the quad feels more powerful , fast answer to throttle, it feels better, i followed the 12mm and 18mm, just the same has here.. i have a Big Gun exhaust, is it the same 18mm in the exhaust valves??

when i open the valve covers, i measure them, and one on the intake and one on the exhaust side, were to tight, so i put the 4 valves with the correct measures.
maybe it's from my head or my ears, or something but i think i hear to much tic,tic,tic, from the valves... but i read that if i want more quiet valves, have to put them tight, and it's not good, because with time they get more tight..

just want to check with guys if your raptors make thet tic,tic,tic.. it's not that loud, but it ears quite well.. a guy that knows about engines says that yamaha engines are normal to ear the valves "tic's tic's" it's quite normal he says, i did exactly the same thing that is posted here, so i think it's well done, right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Karel,

.12 and .18mm should be fine. Indeed, in my experience the Raptor 700 engine has noisy valves and if you are using an aftermarket cam they become significantly louder still. My valves are loud enough that I hear them very well over my pipes at idle with a HC2. My friend has a HC3 and it's similar but the HC2 is a bit worse actually.

The pipe changes nothing to the valve adjustment. It is also normal for all valves to be tight before adjustment, when they go out of adjustment they tighten up.

You can adjust them tighter (as long as they are still within spec) but you will need to check them more often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm going to ride with this adjustment, i notice a more powerful response from the bike, it feels like kicking me of it..
maybe with more hours of ride, the valves will became more silent, because they tight themselves..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts