Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you ever gone to the tire shop and watched the guys try to break your bead on your tires...? some times its really funny to watch these guys struggle...lol but ill give you guys one piece of advice ...the next time you see this suggest putting 1 or 2 psi in the tire with the valve core in and the try to pop the bead...it WILL go...once the one side is popped ...put a bit of air back it...jst enough to say theres some in there but not enought to make the bead you just popped , pop back in and presto! easiest way to pop a atv bead...i worked at a tire shop for many years and thats the way is was shown by and ol'fella...

·
Registered
781 Posts
How hard is it to do yourslef? I want to switch some rims out but rather save some money and do it myself if I could.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
breaking the bead yourself is fairly unsafe...most ppl use a jack all to break the beads with the bumper of a pick up ...not safe at all...your better off just getting the shop to do it...atv tires are pretty stiff you'll do more cursing than work lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put a car ramp on the tire and drive my truck up it. Do it twice on each side of the wheel and then spoon the tire off/on. I change quad and sportbike tires this way. I take a lot more caution with my R1's wheels since they're custom powdercoated and clear coated. heh

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not the safest way to do things...when a tire blows it turns into a strappnel bomb...i wouldnt recommend it...i would just get the beads broken from a shop...and then spoon it...bring the shop a few coffee's and i bet you get the beads broken for free...

·
Registered
781 Posts
I figured it wasn't easy ill just have them do the whole thing.. That is some good news for me since I am lazy.

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha ya save yourself some headache...its not that its hard...cuz its not but you just have to have the right tools just like anything else...and a car ramp or jack all isnt the right tool by any means...

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's easy to do with some practice and the right tools.
I built the bead breaker my self and picked up a pair of spoons at a local parts store.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's easy to do with some practice and the right tools.
I built the bead breaker my self and picked up a pair of spoons at a local parts store.

there you go ...like i said with the proper tools....btw....do you ever leave a little air in them to pop easier?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i remember when i poped a tire at the desert the way my buddys got it off was put a 2x4 right where u would put the bead breaker and then drove on the 2x4 with there truck

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use one of these.

It is a Torin.
I think they retail for around 70 bucks, but I picked mine up on clearance at Tractor Supply for 30 bucks. Very handy tool to have, as I am always mounting tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just had Wall mart do it and they changed 2 tires for me for a 10 dollar bill, two different times fronts , and then rears

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I use one of these.

It is a Torin.
I think they retail for around 70 bucks, but I picked mine up on clearance at Tractor Supply for 30 bucks. Very handy tool to have, as I am always mounting tires.
I bought one of these from ebay for less then 50 with shipping. Eveywhere around here wanted 100 for them.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I thought about buying a bead breaker, but I don't dismount very often, just take them to the tire shop. I think it would take up more space than it's worth. I do my own mounting tho, my neighbor showed me how, we did truck and ATV tires.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
How do you mount without breaking the bead of the old tire or do you mount a lot of rims? :)

I can use it in my business when my tractors get a flat also. I want to patch the insides of tractor atv instead of plugs.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
How do you mount without breaking the bead of the old tire or do you mount a lot of rims? :)
I have the shop dismount then I mount myself to save a couple bucks. Usually though I sell the old wheels/tires while they still have about half tread then I buy all new.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have the shop dismount then I mount myself to save a couple bucks. Usually though I sell the old wheels/tires while they still have about half tread then I buy all new.
See I dismount them and have the shop remount them. For some reason I can never get them back on, getting them off take 2 minutes but on takes me 3 hrs. Plus the auto place didn't charge me to mount them the past 2 out of 3 times. Today i need to take my wifes rhino tires over and i'll see if it will b 3 out of 4.:hail:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have done quite a few tires with it, from ute to sport, even car tires, it has never let me down. Easy to use once you get the hang of it. Works best if bolted to the floor, but works ok freestanding also.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts