Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
in a nut shell...

-put parking brake on, and put into neutral.
-remove the front sprocket guard (if you have one), there is a case saver behind it, just make note of its orientation so you put it back on correctly.
-use a regular ( flat) screwdriver and pop up the 2 locking tabs from the nut. They just fold up, they are there to prevent the nut from vibrating loose.
-use an impact wrench with a 36mm (verified) socket to take it off. I tried using a breaker bar with a 2 foot extension but that caused the quad to rock. definitely easier with an impact gun, remove nut, and the washer with the locking tabs you just folded up.
-goto the back of the quad and loosen up the 4 allen bolts in the rear and loosen up the tension on the chain, try and make it as loose as possible.
when loosening (and tightening) do the bolts like a car wheel (opposite sides) to try and even out the force they are holding. then do your typical insert the allen wrench into the rear sprocket and into the hole and rock the quad to get or remove slack.
-with the chain all the way loose go back to the front sprocket and it "should" pull right off, if not tap it with a hammer, or try some more pb blaster on it.
-put new sprocket on, put the washer with the tabs on, then put the nut on hand tight.
-go back and adjust chain slack and make it as right as you can.
-go back to sprocket and tighten it up. I cant recall the exact ft/lbs but dont try and strip it, just get it on there tight.then bend the tabs down to lock it.
-then goto the back of the quad again, and do the chain adjustment and set the chain slack so it pulls up just about an inch...

this is complicated than the other procedures i found, but by having the ebrake on and the chain tight, the quad wont roll as much when you try and tighten/loosen the sprocket, and if you forget to put it into neutral it might help to prevent the internal gears from getting damaged from the impact gun.

hope this helped. please correct any errors i made :)

·
WILD ONES
887 Posts
in a nut shell...

-put parking brake on, and put into neutral.
-remove the front sprocket guard (if you have one), there is a case saver behind it, just make note of its orientation so you put it back on correctly.
-use a regular ( flat) screwdriver and pop up the 2 locking tabs from the nut. They just fold up, they are there to prevent the nut from vibrating loose.
-use an impact wrench with a 32mm socket to take it off. I tried using a breaker bar with a 2 foot extension but that caused the quad to rock. definitely easier with an impact gun, remove nut, and the washer with the locking tabs you just folded up.
-goto the back of the quad and loosen up the 4 allen bolts in the rear and loosen up the tension on the chain, try and make it as loose as possible.
when loosening (and tightening) do the bolts like a car wheel (opposite sides) to try and even out the force they are holding. then do your typical insert the allen wrench into the rear sprocket and into the hole and rock the quad to get or remove slack.
-with the chain all the way loose go back to the front sprocket and it "should" pull right off, if not tap it with a hammer, or try some more pb blaster on it.
-put new sprocket on, put the washer with the tabs on, then put the nut on hand tight.
-go back and adjust chain slack and make it as right as you can.
-go back to sprocket and tighten it up. I cant recall the exact ft/lbs but dont try and strip it, just get it on there tight.then bend the tabs down to lock it.
-then goto the back of the quad again, and do the chain adjustment and set the chain slack so it pulls up just about an inch...

this is complicated than the other procedures i found, but by having the ebrake on and the chain tight, the quad wont roll as much when you try and tighten/loosen the sprocket, and if you forget to put it into neutral it might help to prevent the internal gears from getting damaged from the impact gun.

hope this helped. please correct any errors i made :)

+1 that was a good write up and should be stickied:thumb:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Very good write up, but the socket size needed to take the nut off that holds the sprocket on is 36mm. Also the correct ft lbs to torque that nut back on is 61
Or as tight as my impact will get it! Out of curiosity, how do you keep your raptor in place to tq to 61 ft/lbs? I attempted to swap without an impact, a lot of swearing, sweating, and frustration :banghead: and I loaded it up and took it to my buddies house with an impact. Then the swap took all of 5 minutes. :D

BTW 36mm fits the oil filter housing on a 2.8 I6 BMW, thank God I didn't have to buy another big ass impact socket!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Case saver??

Hey guysi love the how to section, I'm new to raptors and the service manual only tells you so much. My question is, will the stock case saver work with a 15 tooth front sprocket or do I have to get an aftermarket case saver? If you do have to get an aftermarket one witch one does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just shaved my stock case saver down a little bit with a grinder...I'm running the 14t again though with a Modquad saver

·
Registered
194 Posts
I ran a 15T with the stock case saver with no problems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
All of you that have had to use an impact to get the sprocket nut off need to go hit the gym! It took me all but 5 seconds to get the nut off with a 36mm socket and 1/2in ratchet... One of the easiest mods I've done! I'm using the stock case saver right now but will probably go with an aftermarket one soon but it does fit with a 15t sprocket. The stock one seems flimsy.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
All of you that have had to use an impact to get the sprocket nut off need to go hit the gym! It took me all but 5 seconds to get the nut off with a 36mm socket and 1/2in ratchet...

Being that your bike is just about new, u had no problem....

ive been there before with a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 3 ft pipe on it.... and still had to jump on it....

no everyone is as lucky

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm just giving you guys shit. All of my good tools are at work. I've got a dinky craftsman compressor and a junk impact at home. The 15t sprocket is cool. I can launch this bitch in 3rd gear on dirt roads without bogging.

·
Registered
90 Posts
so what exactly is the advantage of runnning a 15 sprocket compared to the normal 13?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
so what exactly is the advantage of runnning a 15 sprocket compared to the normal 13?
stock is 14 btw.. but the 15 just gives you a longer gear and less tire spin.. im going back to a 14 myself.. liked it better.. they are cheap enough you can buy a few different ones and mess with it like that..

·
Registered
90 Posts
that seems pretty cool but not for me lol mine throws my 125 pounds up through plenty of the gears haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you the stock chain or do you not have a enough adjustment? would like to try the 15 tooth. Will I need a bigger chain?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts