Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
QUOTE FROM QUADMANIAC

Okay, here's how to eliminate the reverse limiter but still have the light. Less than $10 in Radio Shack parts. You will need to solder wires to the new relay (or have a friend do it for you), but it's quite simple. Make sure to use shrink tube or electrical tape or hot melt glue on the relay's soldered joints and on the one wire left free after cutting (Green and Blue).

I suggest you do this in the battery box near the CDI since all the wires come to the largest of the 3 CDI connectors. Then velcro or double stick tape or somehow mount the new relay next to the starter relay.

I suggest you use quick splice connectors because they are very easy to splice into an exisitng wire. Else, cut away a bit of insulation, solder and then tape well! Nothing here is high current, so 24 gauge wire or so will do fine for your additions. (also available from Radio Shack).

EDIT: SOLDERING AND SHRINK TUBING THESE JOINTS WILL MAKE A BETTER, LONGER LASTING CONNECTION, THE E-Z SPLICES ARE SUGGESTED SOLELY FOR EASE OF CONNECTION FOR THOSE WHOSE SOLDERING SKILLS ARE LACKING. YOU CAN ALSO USE WATERPROOF WIRE NUTS MADE FOR SPRINKLER VALVES, AVAILABLE AT HOME DEPOT OR EQUIV. QM

How it works:

The relay is actuated when the reverse switch connects to ground (quad is NOT in reverse). When the relay is off (quad's IN reverse), the wiring is such that the relay pulls the reverse light connection to ground. The other end of the reverse light is already attached to key switch controlled 12V. This turns the reverse light on, but only if the key switch is on too. If the key switch is off, nothing gets powered.

Notice that the CDI's reverse switch connection is always connected to ground, so it won't ever turn on the limiter.

Please feel free to ask questions; and suggestions for improvements to this drawing are welcome!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm electrically challenged...Does anyone have pics to show what the diagram means??? :eyebrow:

I really need to get rid of the limiter,but I like the reverse light

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ironraptor!! Can you post a pic of the relay? I went to get one and it just didnt look right. And it was only 4.99 not 10. Is it blue and really small with small spike like posts coming out of the back side? Let me know, Im eager to do this mod.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok so i reallly wanna do this mod but what if i dont care about the reverse light? can i do it easier without buying the relay? if so how would i do it? could i just

cut the wire to the reverse switch?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is a green/white wire going to below your sprocket. Ground that wire, and you will have no reverse light, but also no reverse rev limiter

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a green/white wire going to below your sprocket. Ground that wire, and you will have no reverse light, but also no reverse rev limiter
im assuming you mean the front sprocket..

do i need to remove anything to see/ ground this wire?

is there a location in the battery box where i can just ground it the battery terminal?

thanks a lot for the help! im so fuckin sick of stalling over and over trying to reverse out of something!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Picked up a relay at the radio shack today. It is a little blue box looking thing to who ever was asking about it. The wiring diagram on the back of it matches perfectly with the picture quadmaniac drew up in the first post. I to was kinda shocked when I seen it, but everything matches up.

I'm going to figure out where to mount it, and go from there!

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 01 660 did not have a rev limiter for reverse. On 02 through 05 Yamaha built in a rev limiter for reverse that pretty much caused reverse to be useless. The original bypass was to ground the green/white wire under the front sprocket. This option would cause the reverse light to not function any longer. QuadManiac on the RF came up with this mod to bypass the rev limiter and still allow the reverse light to function.

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE FROM QUADMANIAC

Okay, here's how to eliminate the reverse limiter but still have the light. Less than $10 in Radio Shack parts. You will need to solder wires to the new relay (or have a friend do it for you), but it's quite simple. Make sure to use shrink tube or electrical tape or hot melt glue on the relay's soldered joints and on the one wire left free after cutting (Green and Blue).

I suggest you do this in the battery box near the CDI since all the wires come to the largest of the 3 CDI connectors. Then velcro or double stick tape or somehow mount the new relay next to the starter relay.

I suggest you use quick splice connectors because they are very easy to splice into an exisitng wire. Else, cut away a bit of insulation, solder and then tape well! Nothing here is high current, so 24 gauge wire or so will do fine for your additions. (also available from Radio Shack).

EDIT: SOLDERING AND SHRINK TUBING THESE JOINTS WILL MAKE A BETTER, LONGER LASTING CONNECTION, THE E-Z SPLICES ARE SUGGESTED SOLELY FOR EASE OF CONNECTION FOR THOSE WHOSE SOLDERING SKILLS ARE LACKING. YOU CAN ALSO USE WATERPROOF WIRE NUTS MADE FOR SPRINKLER VALVES, AVAILABLE AT HOME DEPOT OR EQUIV. QM

How it works:

The relay is actuated when the reverse switch connects to ground (quad is NOT in reverse). When the relay is off (quad's IN reverse), the wiring is such that the relay pulls the reverse light connection to ground. The other end of the reverse light is already attached to key switch controlled 12V. This turns the reverse light on, but only if the key switch is on too. If the key switch is off, nothing gets powered.

Notice that the CDI's reverse switch connection is always connected to ground, so it won't ever turn on the limiter.

Please feel free to ask questions; and suggestions for improvements to this drawing are welcome!

Good Luck!

is this mod only for the 660? can you do this to the 700? and also what actually does this mod do? im new to this. does this mean that you dont have to turn the key to get the reverse gear? or can you please explain exactly what this mod does before you do it and after the mod is done????? because right mow in like:wtf:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I still cant understand what this does. My reverse on my 03 works its about the same gearing as second so you have to gass it up a bit. Please tell me what this does i am sure others dont understand as well just dont want to look as silly as i love to :) thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 01 does have reverse rev limiter. I by-passed it a long time ago by disconnecting the wire below the sprocket, and taking it to the negative post on the battery. But this is a good fix and I will probably do it to to my 01 and my wife's 03.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hey ctraptorken,

What color is the wire below the front sprocket that you cut and grounded. Is that all you have to do to bypass the reverse limiter??

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts