Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compliments of PINHEAD from the forgotten land!

First of all I'd like to thank the guys who made one already and posted pictures. It helped a lot.
I got everything at Home Depot.
The 4" tube is cut to 14". You don't have to get a huge piece of tube, they have 2 foot, precut pieces.
Originally I went with 3" tube, but I couldn't fit my hand in there.
The 4" tube wouldn't fit at first so I had to stack some washers and get a longer 6mm bolt for the front plastics mounting point. That gave me the clearance for the tube.
There are male and female end-caps. I went with the female, the males need an additional coupler to work.
I attached it to the frame with 3 hose clamps. They were for 5"-7" air duct hose. If you rap a tape measure around where you put the hose clamps, it's about 19". I also put a 1/4" piece of rubber between the tube and frame.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can you do this with a stock bumper on?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
That 4" tube would be awesome, could get some large stuff in there. I made this one that will hold a small gas can and I have zip ties, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, bug spray, and a couple granola bars will fit also in the tube. The rubber caps are Yamaha parts from a Warrior/Banshee stock bumper and I have yet to find water inside the tube. The caps fit almost too tight and can be difficult to remove.

Attachments

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
Was bored today wandering through Lowes and thought about this thread. $20 later or so I got all the parts, and tossed this together. Thanks for the idea, it's gonna work great and take some weight out of my backpack :thumb: Good Post

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
:needpics:
:lol: ... sorry, didn't take any ? :banghead:

I'll take some next time I get the chance though my bike's a bit torn apart at the moment (no plastic,pipe,shock,swinger), so I don't know how great it'll look. :D

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
Here's mine. Again, I'm pretty happy with it. My dad said it looks like shit, but I think it looks more like 5 pounds off my back... :D I used bungees to attach it just cause I wanted to be able to take it off/put it on in like 3 seconds if I want to.

:pervthumbsup:

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Once you put any weight in it, those bungee's will NOT going to be enough!

Always make sure it is still there... when using bungee cords. Any jumping and it will fly!

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
Oh yeah, some of those nice black bungees are going to secure it eventually, just couldn't find any layin around, not being used. I had some of those metal straps on there, but the angles on my bumper and the frame just didn't let them sit right unfortunately :banghead: It's actually on there pretty solid, probably take a good 10 lbs rattlin around to get it movin too much. Either way, only like 15-20 to make - so not too big of a deal, just won't be throwin my wallet in there :lol:

Watertight...gonna try tossin some ice/ bottled water in there maybe and see how that does during a ride at some point :thumb:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like the idea and materials used to build these storage compartments but what about mounting it in the rear on the left side, opposite of where the stock muffler sits. I know all you dual guys can't do this but us single exhaust can. :lol:

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
The overflow tank is a bit in the way I believe. If you moved that though you could rock it there with some good metal straps to attach it :thumb: I would probably go with a 3" tube rather than 4 there though, I think the 4" would look a bit bulky there ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I realize your a 660 but my 700 does'nt have the overflow tank there, it's up front under the l/h fender. That's why I thought it would fit great in that location. Really can't take credit for the idea as I've seen them there as stock on other quads.

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
I realize your a 660 but my 700 does'nt have the overflow tank there, it's up front under the l/h fender. That's why I thought it would fit great in that location. Really can't take credit for the idea as I've seen them there as stock on other quads.
:lol: I knew you had a 700 too, didn't think about it too hard.... :Hilarious:

Right on SMIB , good to know it doesn't look too bad. I didn't like it when I held it up to mine, but I bet it would look 100 times better with fenders :D

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Looks good Seg !!! I use the same kind of bungees but I make sure I get them good and tight.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Made one of these recently. I used a 3" pipe and installed it in a little different location. Not sure if a 4" will fit here or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Made one of these recently. I used a 3" pipe and installed it in a little different location. Not sure if a 4" will fit here or not.
Looks good ... btw, what coolant are you using ? it looks really dark.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts