Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been seriously considering buying the I shock long travel shocks and a arms. I would appreciate some feedback from people that have them or have ridden on this set up. Of course the obvious question, "does it compare to some of the other top manufacturers". What are some of the down falls, and what do you really like bout them. I ride mainly in a dune and desert environment, and ride through lots of high speed whoops, and hit large jumps in the dunes. Any help would be appreciated, this is a big decision for me, and an expensive one.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
if you are on a budget they are very good. as long as you are not a pro they are more than enough

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been told that they are made with the same high quality componets as the other top suspension companies. Also, the I shock lists all of the same adjustments as the top shocks that a pro would use, so why would these not be good enough for a pro, theoretically they should be the same shocks, right?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
in theory. but they arnt. when pressed for a long time they will fade i herd. whats sets a shock like motowoz apart is the valving. and i dont think the componets are as good as top brands like motowoz shocks and jd a-arms. every shock from motowoz is put together by hand to your specs by 1 guy. and i think jd's a-arms are all built and welded by 1 person also

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i found them for like 1700-1800 with jd a-arms. that the long travel. std was like 150 bucks cheaper. and if you are looking to buy right away they are even cheaper because of the jd a-arm group buy. btw i found the shocks by them selfs for 960

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
in theory. but they arnt. when pressed for a long time they will fade i herd. whats sets a shock like motowoz apart is the valving. and i dont think the componets are as good as top brands like motowoz shocks and jd a-arms. every shock from motowoz is put together by hand to your specs by 1 guy. and i think jd's a-arms are all built and welded by 1 person also
Sheer speculation... I have had my LT5500 Max Clear I-Shocks for four months, now and have ZERO issues with them.

I had a friend of mine [Ron] who has another friend [Pete] who has higher dollar shocks on his, say... holly shit, does your Raptor ride like a freaking caddy over Pete's.

He was so impressed with the I-Shocks ability to soak up the jumps that he even had several of his best riding buddies come over to my camp site, the next day to look at my set-up!

So once again, sheer speculation!!!

Don't buy into some peeps, BS! Until you yourself has first hand knowledge of what or which shock brand is this or that!!!

I have had my fair share of afterrmarket brands on several of my other bikes and the I-Shocks rank right up there with them!

·
Registered
613 Posts
IMO unless you are hard core the I shock kit is more than enough. Any shock with a piggy back reservoir is going to fade after a long time of riding due to heat over shocks that have remote reservoirs.

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
ding... Ding... DING Remote rezzies are defintely BEST for heat disipation!!!

There are those who distribute a wide array of aftermarket wares, say that the remotes are not as good as the piggy's... which is out and out BS!

The reservoirs are built onto the shock to help disipate, heat! And with the reservoirs being remote [away from the shock] of which is where the heats is centralized, then the remotes are the BEST for long term riders!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
motowoz says there shock will not fade in proformance no madder how long or hard you push them. and like i said in before for most ppl the i-shock is more than enough but i dont think they are quite as good as motowoz. i mean they are built pretty much on a line in mass production where the motowoz is built buy 1 guy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of your guy's input is really good, keep it coming because I haven't had any experience with aftermarketshocks. But I think the "fading issue" wont affect me. I ride really hard and fast and hit jumps that any pro would be proud of, but, I dont ride thirty minute motos. My endurance isnt what it used to be at 18, so i dont think I have the ability to ride long enough to make them that hot. As long as the valving is right I think the I shock will be great for me. But the more input from everyone the better! Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes for the $ the ishock is great. and there is no real wait time so that is a + also.

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
I say call JD Performance, our site sponsor and ask him about getting you a price on a shock/arm package. No matter the JD stuff is top notch, no questions asked..:thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I shock and suspension is a great set up. i race desert with them. our races are up to 6 hours in length and have had no issues with them. I have hit g-outs and whoops at very high speeds and had no issues and i have ridden whooped out courses and had no issues. i think it really comes down to a personal issue. alot of the manufacturers out there today build very high quality stuff. it sounds like for your application they would be fine. good luck.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
not 2 be a ass but these guys arnt hitting whoops all of the time. ive done a lap on my stock shocks out at the plaster city/superstition race with no problem when they were brand new.. and i assume he is racing this or something simular because he says he is a southwest racer. what about guys racing like glen helen raceway on a regular basis? i know jd motorsports carries both ishock and motowoz and i believe his racers use motowoz.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I will contact JD performance and speak with him. After that I will let you all know what my decision is, Also, as of right now there may be up to a six week wait on the Long travel I shock set up. THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT!

·
Registered
31 Posts
not 2 be a ass but these guys arnt hitting whoops all of the time. ive done a lap on my stock shocks out at the plaster city/superstition race with no problem when they were brand new.. and i assume he is racing this or something simular because he says he is a southwest racer. what about guys racing like glen helen raceway on a regular basis? i know jd motorsports carries both ishock and motowoz and i believe his racers use motowoz.
I only race desert. If I was racing motocross tracks I would have not only different suspension but a totally different bike like a YFZ450. The Raptor is one of the finest trail, desert bikes built but if you moto I would go for something lighter, smaller and faster. In either case motowoz and lagers and others build great stuff... have a great week...:thumb:

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes eather way you will be happy. both will make a world of difference over stock.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have no idea on this debate; good to read though.

I think it's funny that different brands come up on different forums. On a Suzuki Quadracer forum that I used to visit allot when I was racing my QR, they were in love with TCS and PEP. You guys like Motowoz and Ishock. When I go to the races around here, they are dominated my Elka and some Custom Axis. And to wrap it up, I run Works on my Quadracer. I'm gonna have TCS rebuild my factory SE shocks when this race season is over. Should be great shocks.

Most name brand shocks built especially for you, your quad and your riding style will do an incredably good job.

That's all I have to say on that.

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts