Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating between getting tire chains or ice studs for my raptor. I have some old stock rear tires that are quite worn, and am not sure if it would handle a 3/8" or 1/2" ice stud. How thick are the stock dunlops? they aren't totally slick but getting there.... I wasn't planning on ice racing but just wanted the extra traction on the lake. Is there a speed limit that tire chains can do before it gets likely that they will break and cause problems?:banana: I figure on just doing the rear tires with chains or ice studs....

Ice studs seem to be more of a pain because they sounds like they dull if on pavement or scratch the hell out of a pick up truck bed, chains seem easier to put on and use but i could see them breaking being a real problem...

ANy thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put 1/2" studs in new tires & the studs didn't go thru the tire carcase. They will work loose & fall out over time. On worn tires they will go thru most likey & leak air. Studs will dull if you drive on cement, tar or pickup beds. To do it right you should nut the studs on the inside & stay off cement, tar etc. They make tire wraps to protect the studs when not in use & you can roll your quad around & drive it if needed. Studs don't do much in snow but are very effective on ice. If you want traction on the lake you could use snowmobile studs in your tires but it can be expensive. Sounds like tire chains are what your looking for. I've never used them. Google atv ice racing tire & you will see the different set ups. Maybe switch out your rear tires with a snow tire like the Kenda Snow Mad or one of the other snow tires offered. New tires will help your cause once there's snow covering the ice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Look at snowmobile studs that you can mount from the inside and then put a tube and a liner in between the tube and tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts