Modded Raptors Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
In my opinion the CVT transmission is both a plus and minus for hill racing. I've won a lot of races because of how the CVT works. People get hung up on that word "automatic" and don't bother to understand how a CVT works.

A CVT is not like a cars auto tranny. A CVT (if set up right) will keep your motor at the RPM that makes the most horsepower. That is why my motor has that continuous drone all the way up the hill.

On a clutch bike the RPMs go up and down. So if your motor makes the most HP at 9000 rpm you are only at 9000 RPM for a moment before you have to shift again and the RPMS drop.

With a CVT, your engine goes to 9000RPM and stays there all the way up the hill if you have it clutched right.

The downside, I can't drop the clutch like you guys do. I can't rev the bike up to 6 grand or whatever and drop the hammer at the green light. What that means is my bike does a lot of wheelies off the line. I need a super long swingarm but honestly just fitting the bike in my truck with the +10 is a challenge.
Every setup has its advantages and disadvantages... the CVT trans work great, I do a lot with snowmobiles and I love them once you get em dialed in. Plus CVT takes operator error out of the mix and you dont have to screw around with sprocket sizes as much... I give the KFX a lot of credit, everyone has their own tastes and its just another option to satisfy that taste... Anyone can be top dog once the technology is there, just spend enough money...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I raced a 730 kfx this past weekend, and he spanked me. I would get the hole shot, but he would blow by me when I was at the top of third. I gained some respect for these things after that. I'm going back to the dunes on may 8th, and there will be a group of kfx riders out there, one is a big bore (800 something cc's) with nitrous that makes over 100hp to the wheels, I'm really looking forward to seeing it run.
That is my "slow turd" that Langford is referring to and it was also my first ride at the dunes with my new 730 build. I was very happy with it. The thing you guys have to keep in mind is the TOTAL spent on the power. I have less into my quad including the motor build than what a new (or maybe even used) Raptor 700r costs.

I ride with a friend that has an '09 Raptor 700 with bolt-ons and I will admit, in the trails I can't keep up with him because my quad isn't as nimble and has a longer wheelbase. On the other hand, in a straight line race, I would beat him. His mods are pretty much the same as Langford's. I ride trails occasionally but prefer dunes and drag racing and I am very happy with my KX730 for that. Liking the CVT auto tranny has nothing to do with not knowing how to shift well or being too lazy to shift. I had both a Banshee & a DS650 before my 1st KFX and now I have two.

Here's a couple of short drag race vids of my KFX from a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WOW

Hey all new to the site diggin it so far.

My bud has a pretty stock KFX 700 and it hangs in there pretty good with my rappy.

Beleive it or not my Renegade is stupid fast for a (lazy non shifting fatty) like myself. When it was delivered I was half in the bag and didn't listen to my buds and rode it. Lets just say it sobered my ass right up.

As far as the sport quad vs. the non shifting sporty utility quad in my opinion the rappy is the most comfortable sport to ride hard on any terrain. It has more ground clearance than the 450's so it soaks up really rutted trails very nice and still handles the MX track almost as good as the 450's.

In the sporty utility area there really is no comparison to the Renegade 800. Although I got my DS 450 and my Raptor 700 for what my renegade cost me.

Just my cents.:blahblah:

Just remember sometimes it's fun to go stupid fast and not have to shift and to have a front diff lock lol.

Keep it rubber side down.:beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
548 Posts
That thread is at page 31 , growing and funny as hell.. Now if you beleive some of those fools... with simply a pipe and a filter the KFX will lay down 90hp "easy" and LTR 45os are 50 hp stock... :lol: I have beat that guy into submission but he keeps getting back up and going.. :Hilarious:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only thing cool about the kfx is that when you put pipes on it, it sounds like a Harley.

Stock bs stock there is no comparison. I have a stock raptor and my buddy has a piped kfx and weighs a hundred pounds less than me making our bikes with riders close in weight, still get him by 3 or 4 lengths unless I muss a shift or do somethin stupid.

Oh and read the atv rider and dirt wheels big bore comparisons. They didn't even compar the kfx and Trx 700s to a raptor because they said they would lose in every catigory.
That's all the comparison I needed to decide on a raptor.

If it was built I'm sure I would mind dragging with a kfx, but that's about it. To heavy and big to be fun in the trails or on a track. To tell you the truth I would by a REAL utility quad before I'd buy one of those, then at least i'd have 4x4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh and whoever wanted to race for pinks, let's go for a ride at my local cross country track so I can get my girlfriend a new four wheeler. You might be able to beat me in a drag race going straight on a smooth patch, but in the woods you'll get roosted all day.

How bout a drag race through 300 feet of woops? Haha that would be ffun to watch.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
oohhhh shnaaaap! we gots a callout! I always love keyboard racing :eyebrow:
Sleepy apparently you didnt know this but I am the greatest ATV rider IN THE WORLD! muahahahaha. And now that I publicly said it online everyone will know and respect that....or else:ninja:

Sleepy I assume, if u can "roost anyone all day" in a cross country race, that you must be pro by now and just dominating the pro circuits....correct?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Great thread guys..:thumb:

I'm 43 and literally grew up in the dunes. Been lucky and have ridden most every 3 and 4 wheeler out there. Seen fads , top racers, and builders come and go.

With that said , Metalalien's KFX is one of the coolest quads I've ever seen. It's not the fastest ,it's sure not the prettiest. But it is some of the best outside the box thinking I've seen in years. This is not a shop built quad. With today's king of H/P parts bolted on it. It does not have so and so's billet this and that. With a $2000.00 paint job. No name or look at me groupie attachments on it.

This is a quad built by a guy in his own style. Using parts that are not seen as what most or any would use. That will run with some of the most high dollar trend of the day builds. :beerchug:

This is something that started to get lost in the 90's. Not many guy's left that build there own stuff. Everything is bling and dyno sheets now. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought this thread was about in general kfx vs raptor and so on, not giving a guy props for having a fast automatic that he built in his back yard. But hey nice build dude.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please click on the link on the first page and see this other thread. it is now 36 pages. Here is just a recent quote from today I copied and pasted that I thought you guys would get a kick out of! It is a quote from the person who started the thread "Why are Raptors so slow?" This guy is a total moron and as Poundsand said...we have tried to knock him down off what he thinks is his throne but he keeps coming back!

"90 HP is a little far fetched with bolt on's but 75 hp is very possible with the KFX 700 and has been done by many. We're talking about a V twin here, not a thumper. Big difference. I dont see 90 HP totally out of the question but will need extensive head work and probably big bore kit. But 75 hp is easily achievable with bolt ons. Not gonna get 75 hp out of a Raptor with bolt ons. But the only people that mod Raptors are people that like to throw money away. I could spend 2500 in aftermarket and have twice the machine as someone that threw 2500 into a Raptor. And yes I like my stock Outlaw. Becouse I can smoke everyones modded shit with it bone stock. So why spend the money to mod it?"

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That is my "slow turd" that Langford is referring to and it was also my first ride at the dunes with my new 730 build. I was very happy with it. The thing you guys have to keep in mind is the TOTAL spent on the power. I have less into my quad including the motor build than what a new (or maybe even used) Raptor 700r costs.

I ride with a friend that has an '09 Raptor 700 with bolt-ons and I will admit, in the trails I can't keep up with him because my quad isn't as nimble and has a longer wheelbase. On the other hand, in a straight line race, I would beat him. His mods are pretty much the same as Langford's. I ride trails occasionally but prefer dunes and drag racing and I am very happy with my KX730 for that. Liking the CVT auto tranny has nothing to do with not knowing how to shift well or being too lazy to shift. I had both a Banshee & a DS650 before my 1st KFX and now I have two.

Here's a couple of short drag race vids of my KFX from a few weeks ago.

YouTube - Kevin's KFX730 vs Banshee vs Banshee vs YFZ 2

YouTube - Kevin's KFX730 vs Banshee vs Banshee vs YFZ 1
That is a nice looking KFX you have. I was on the blue raptor with the metal mulisha graphics this weekend. I just have a stock swinger and sand stars and was getting blasted out of the hole by you and the red one. I could keep up after that, but couldn't run you down on that length of "track":lol: You 2 were the only 4 strokes I couldn't walk when I was out there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That is a nice looking KFX you have. I was on the blue raptor with the metal mulisha graphics this weekend. I just have a stock swinger and sand stars and was getting blasted out of the hole by you and the red one. I could keep up after that, but couldn't run you down on that length of "track":lol: You 2 were the only 4 strokes I couldn't walk when I was out there.
The red one was actually his, he just put those plastics on recently. The black one with the green hood was a 785...it was damn fast too.

I was able to get keep up with them off the line, but they would both pull away when I was in third. I don't know how we never got to line up our raptors, I was out there at the strip damn near all day...the two KFX's and one built yellow YFZ were the only 4 strokes I couldn't beat on Saturday.

My raptor vs the 730 KFX vs a 488 big bore Honda 450r:

my raptor vs the 730 kfx vs 785 kfx vs a bunch of 450's

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There were a couple dirt bikes I couldn't touch either, hell one of them smoked me riding a wheelie!

81 - 95 of 95 Posts