Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering...

Whats the stock Stator wattage output?
I want to put a 55 watt piaa foglight on the front of my quad.
my quad headlights dont make me happy in pants, but im not yet ready to buy HID.

Would a single 55 watts on top of the stock headlight watts be ok for the stator?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Judging from other people's experiences, I'd have to say no. The extra 55 Watts of draw would drain your battery after a couple of hours. It seems that we have 20 Watts of excess power available, at best, more likely only 10W or so.

SS

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
548 Posts
You would need to get a a Ricky stator or another high output stator. I run the 35W trail techs and they are plenty bright. I am still on the stock stator... Anything over 35 watts on the stator will cause a drain... The Ricky Stator isnt cheap either. That helped make my decision to saty at 35 watts....

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
the raptor uses an H6M Bulb so at the bottom you can choose that as the bulb type and the color temp. 6000k is perfect! The kit replaces the stock bulb so you will have HID light coming out of the stock headlights. I wired my relay to the high beam switch. You cant have both high and low, but down the road I'm gonna hook up something low wattage for the low beams so i dont blind people coming in and out of camp...

Those kits on eBay have the tiny ballasts too... the one i got has the monster ballast they show in the comparison pic. I might have to upgrade :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
here are some pictures

lights off

Lights on

Where I mounted the ballast

·
Registered
82 Posts
the raptor uses an H6M Bulb so at the bottom you can choose that as the bulb type and the color temp. 6000k is perfect! The kit replaces the stock bulb so you will have HID light coming out of the stock headlights. I wired my relay to the high beam switch. You cant have both high and low, but down the road I'm gonna hook up something low wattage for the low beams so i dont blind people coming in and out of camp...

Those kits on eBay have the tiny ballasts too... the one i got has the monster ballast they show in the comparison pic. I might have to upgrade :)
Thanks you just saved me some money.:hyper:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your Welcome... glad i could help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also had contact with the guys.
The seem to be very cheap, but don't let them fool you.
They lower the prices on the kit, but get extra profit by
adding extra $'s to the shipping costs.

I wanted to order 3 kits.
1 kit costs $25.
Shipping to Belgium is $90.

So you would think the total cost would be:
(3 x $25) + $90 = $165
But NO, they are not willing to ship them in 1 package,
'that is not the way they work'.
So according to them, I had to pay:
3 x ($25 + $90) = $345 !!!

Which is a huge difference for me and less work for them. :wtf:

Greetz,
D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
$115 a kit is still cheaper than any other HID conversion kit ive seen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
$115 a kit is still cheaper than any other HID conversion kit ive seen.
Yes, I know. But sending it in 1 package is also not that much asked is it?
It's not all about the money, I would have bought it, if they would have put
the real price of the kit and not a lower price extra charges on the shipping. :thumbsdown:

I'm a kind of a fair trade guy. :D :lol:

Greetz,
D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, I know. But sending it in 1 package is also not that much asked is it?
It's not all about the money, I would have bought it, if they would have put
the real price of the kit and not a lower price extra charges on the shipping. :thumbsdown:

I'm a kind of a fair trade guy. :D :lol:

Greetz,
D.
Don't get me wrong... I totally agree. They should ship them all together but the reason they do that is because they sell the unit at a cheap price so they don't have all the eBay fees and make their money on the shipping because eBay doesn't take a "cut" of the shipping charge, only the selling price...

FWIW ive had the ebay kit on my quad for a year and i can't complain one bit. The light output with the stock reflectors is amazing. It may not be optimized for HID but i see 20x better with the HIDs than the stock halogens.

Jamie700R, Those lights look really nice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering...

Whats the stock Stator wattage output?
I want to put a 55 watt piaa foglight on the front of my quad.
my quad headlights dont make me happy in pants, but im not yet ready to buy HID.

Would a single 55 watts on top of the stock headlight watts be ok for the stator?
stock wattage is 120 watts. if you are running at higher rpms you can run a little higher. for my night races i run 145 watts and have had zero issues. i run 110 watt on one switch and my 35 watt on a seperate switch that way if i did notice an issue i could shut the 35 watt down. remember that is with the stock headlights removed. contact baja designs or trail tech and they can definitely help you out. the lady at trail tech is very knowledgeable and always cautions on the safe side so you can't go wrong in my opinion. have fun and good luck. :beerchug:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts