Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 03 660r, ive got a new aftermarket stator/pick upcoil. it is rated for an extra 50 watts over stock, an amr coil and stage 3 cdi box. prior to installing those last 2 electrical parts the engine is stock. i do have a lrd pro4 exhaust, the k&n air lid filter with the k&n replacement filter. the previous owner changed the needle clip from stock to number 4 position, he also was running in the left carb a 155 jet and a 150 jet in the right. the bike actually ran fine that way for months of owning it, and then after a week of it sitting it never ran right since. what it was doing is at an idle in nuetral idles great rev on the engine still fine, but when i take of and hammer down on it at a high like4-5,ooo rpms i loose power and its like the bike is still running but at a low rpm even though ive got the throttle half way, let off and it runs fine at a low rpm. ive tested the coil and the primary didnt test right, it depended on where i stuck the ohms meter probe on the base on how it would test. so i replaced it with the cdi box,corrected the jets to a 155L and a 170R, but still it runs the same as if i did nothing to he bike. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
the easy way is go buy a dynojet jet kit. it has better needles and will give you the right jets you need.
otherwise the #'s you are givinh, what kind of jets are they, dynojet,mikuni.
your jet spread is to much right carb is 1 jet size bigger(150l/155r).
mike

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
I would start with cleaning the carb. If it ran fine before sitting, and nothing changed, I would be thinking the mains are partially plugged or something is gummed up. I think I cleaned my 660 card just about once a month. Another thing, are you running old gas? My 660 hated old gas. Clean the carbs, put fresh gas and a new plug in it and let us know what happens.. :thumb:

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
I would start with cleaning the carb. If it ran fine before sitting, and nothing changed, I would be thinking the mains are partially plugged or something is gummed up. I think I cleaned my 660 card just about once a month. Another thing, are you running old gas? My 660 hated old gas. Clean the carbs, put fresh gas and a new plug in it and let us know what happens.. :thumb:

+1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the jets came with my k&n air lid kit, i found the carb 155l/150r. i was told the r needs to be a minimum of 7 steps higher than the l. so the closest i had was the 170. ill try what you said and get back to you thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i run new gas all the time and always 93 ill tear down the carbs completely and clean them thanks ill let you know what happens

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont understand +2 on the carbs and i run new gas everytime i always come home on reserve. the last time ran i was in cape cod it was only like 80 d out

·
Asshole
3,161 Posts
Temperature can effect the jetting. That's why he asked.

I've never had my carbs with jet sizes further apart then the increments of 5 as far as mains go- always 145/150, 155/160, 160/165 ... Always worked great for me. :cunfuz:

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
Carbs should only be 1 step higher and your mods at 150/155 sounds about right. leave it there it ran fine before with those jets, its something else. Clean the carbs first before changing anything. Dont forget the new plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dont understand +2 on the carbs and i run new gas everytime i always come home on reserve. the last time ran i was in cape cod it was only like 80 d out
What I ment by +2 was that I agree with what Wreckless was saying about cleaning the carbs. What do you know I'm from the cape cod area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i cleaned the carbs, it runs better but not the same. it hesitates when i hammer down on it but then goes. i tried adjusting the air fuel mixture screw and that impossible. how do i or do i have to buy a new tool? does any one offer a longer type of screw you can adjust with your fingers i know they do for the 450 models. is there any good riding out in the cape? my buddy found some spots but more for just fucking around for a hour or so ya know

·
I am smarter than you....
2,051 Posts
have you checked to see if the charging voltage is correct? if it isnt charging high enough it will missfire at higher rpms, ask natediggity about that lol. just by seeing his dyno chart i told him his stator was shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have you checked to see if the charging voltage is correct? if it isnt charging high enough it will missfire at higher rpms, ask natediggity about that lol. just by seeing his dyno chart i told him his stator was shot.
ya i did yesterday just to be sure. i did replace all my ign componets, amr stage 3 cdi,coil and the stator which is from rm stator in canada and every is correct. i will do it again just to be sure with readings to the manfactures not yamaha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I ment by +2 was that I agree with what Wreckless was saying about cleaning the carbs. What do you know I'm from the cape cod area.
ok so in the end after everything was done, i was brought back to an old every now and then problem...... a skip/ random misfire now only at a high rpm all the time vs once in a great while well my spark plug cap arch a hole right through the center of the brass resitor? that conects the the plug. thanks again for everything:beerchug:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey thanks for eveything i got it back to better than before, in the end my biggest problem i think was my spark plug cap burnt a hole throught the center of the cap resistor thanks for everything.ill be spreading the word about this site:beerchug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, interesting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts