Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local MX track today to get some practice in. I'd never riden this track on my Raptor and found it odd that my stock gearing on 20" tires was a little off. First gear was always too short and second could be too tall on a couple corners, especially if I slide in too hard and on a couple short straights I shifted up to third, but it really was too soon. Long story short, I lugged the crap out of my engine all day long, the great thing about the Raptor engine is that it is torquey and will power out of it, but I lugged it a little more often and a little harder than I like today. So the question is: how bad is lugging the Raptor engine really? What's gonna break first if I keep going to that track? If I keep going to that track I'm gonna maybe put a 40 rear sprocket on and then second wouldn't lug so bad, first is too low.

I know I can slip the clutch, but I've really gotten out of the habit of slipping the clutch much since I've gotten the Raptor. The torque has spoiled me.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I don't think your going to hurt anything at all. If you are really worried maybe you can buy a spare set of wheels and tires and run a mx-style 18" tire like all the MXers run.That would prolly put your gearing where you like it and I would think changing wheels would be esaier than changing sprokets.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You might want to get a few different front and rear sprockets and see what works best especially if you go and race at different tracks. Keep records and kick ass.Changing one tooth is front is like changing three teeth in the rear.

·
Wheelie Master
510 Posts
You might want to get a few different front and rear sprockets and see what works best especially if you go and race at different tracks. Keep records and kick ass.Changing one tooth is front is like changing three teeth in the rear.
The cheapest way out is the front sprockets i would start there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two sets of tires and two front sprockets. I have a big set of 25" tires I race with in mud and rocks; when I run these I drop to a 13T front sprocket. Only reason I say this is to say that the front sprocket on the Raptor is not my favorite to change. I always think I'm damaging the countershaft and/or transmission.

How hard are the rears to change? Can you get the sprocket over it's hub so you don't have to remove the axle?

On another note, I have a set of 18" MX tires on another quad I think I'll take out next time, just might be the ticket.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
On another note, I have a set of 18" MX tires on another quad I think I'll take out next time, just might be the ticket.

Thanks,
Chris
Thats gonna be the easiest thing for ya! Let us know how it works:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts