Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I haven't seen any others on Raptors, but this works VERY well, and the parts are basically a hot start lever for a WR450. I moved the ignition to the reverse button position and Voila, No more letting go of the handlebars while trying to engage reverse.....sort of comes in handy when you are halfway down a hill and holding on to the brakes for dear life:hyper:

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
that looks kool but i think it would be better on the other side that way you can engage the clutch and reverse lever at the same time... the Dr.D lever is very similar and mounts on the brake lever side under it... nice job tho..

·
Registered
33 Posts
thats awesome

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx guys,700 Rappy, I deliberately placed it on the left, it is much easier to pull the clutch lever with three fingers and this little lever with your "trigger finger", and you can still keep your right hand on the throttle and front brake. If I had moved it to the right there would just be too many things to do:banana:.

I had a look at the DR D, but here in SA, that thing cost a fortune, compared to the Yamaha factory part. My friends all get the shites with me, when we land in a sticky situation, I am always first out and long gone before they can start fiddling with switches and knobs...:hyper:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the parking brake of complete, and this hot strat lever is actually mounted on the back strap of the lever mounting bracket. You have to make up two little spacers though to lift the lever up slightly, but that is it.

I changed the entire lever for a WR450 setup-you have to get rid of the switch that activates any gear start- but it was not necessary, you can only buy the back part of the set up....hope this makes sense..I feel confused after THAT explanation:wtf:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanx guys,700 Rappy, I deliberately placed it on the left, it is much easier to pull the clutch lever with three fingers and this little lever with your "trigger finger", and you can still keep your right hand on the throttle and front brake. If I had moved it to the right there would just be too many things to do:banana:.

I had a look at the DR D, but here in SA, that thing cost a fortune, compared to the Yamaha factory part. My friends all get the shites with me, when we land in a sticky situation, I am always first out and long gone before they can start fiddling with switches and knobs...:hyper:
i never thought of it that way using three fingets and one on the lever...i guess id have to try it...if it works that well i might try to do the same....how much was that WR lever?

·
Registered
263 Posts
just realized that your parking brake is gone...thats no good for me as i use it more taht most....on the trailer and such...i think its DR.D for me... but if your content without a parking brake thats kool but i need mine...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sweet setup, I had thought about a hot start lever. Never really looked into it though. Nice job!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. I must admit I cannot take credit for the concept, on one of our local Forums a guy did a similar conversion, I just used Yamaha parts instead of a homemade job.

The park brake lever was an issue for me, but I got use to it very quickly, I had a Honda TRX 400 before the Rappie, and their park brake last exactly one week! So I am use to parking in gear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great idea on moving the reverse lever, I never thought about mounting on the clutch side. I was looking at Hot Starts levers for YFZ's, ASV Inventions makes a nice looking unit & would be very similiar to a DR. D reverse lever

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I like my Dr. D but I would be willin' to try something like that on the clutch side !!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well somehow it works fine, you have to pull the clutch in anyway before engaging the lever, and the lever is so small, it is done with your trigger finger while the other three hld the clutch, it just feels right to me, on the right hand side I am normally holding the brake lever, so I do NOT want to let go of that baby in some places I have had to reverse out of..he he...and my thumb stays on the throttle, so there you tend to run out of fingers...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts