Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro Buddah and I had our quads dyno'd with the new MSD controller at DT Performance. I don't have the graphs yet. I will in a day or two when I go pick them up. My bike pulled the same peak hp an tq as my Dyna Tek EFI and controller, but the power was higher and broader along the curve. I ran 14-38 w/ the old controller 2 months ago and ran 15-38 this time.. Switching to 14-38 tomorrow and are expecting about 2hp gain just from the gearing. The lower gearing does show gains as seen on a 770 build just a few days before. So my gearing will be apples to apples from 2 months ago.. My quad has slighty better peak numbers then my bros and he runs the better intake and bigger injector however his beats mine up Utahs Sand Mtn.. His does show a 5 hp advantage at 8500 rpm though and the power delivery couldn't be more different when ridden back to back.. .. They are built identically other then the injector and intake He ran 15-37 gearing on the dyno..

·
Banned
3,303 Posts
Did you guys raise the rpm limiter? I am curious if it will allow the rpms to go to 10000. That's the only reason guys are going to carb is to get more rpms.....I think :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
U can raise the rev limiter but the powerband will not be the same as with the carb setup (well atleast my carb)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bros pulled higher speed with 300 rpm less compared to dyna tek if I rememeber correctly

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My dyno runs were disappointing to say the least after seeing the graphs. Bottom line is Buddah and I both agree it was a waste of money on my quad. He seen some gains, but I lost power everywhere except the last 500 rpms. I won't speak for Buddah if he thought the money was worth what he got out of it.. If somebody asked me if the price of the controller is worth the 350-400 plus the cost of the dyno runs I would give a big HEALL NO!! I'm putting my dyna tek ignition and controller back on and be 300-350 bucks richer.. I ate the cost of dyno runs and a I will lose 50 bucks on my MSD. If there is a good deal on used Dyna Tek controllers vs the cost of the MSD I would buy the used Dyna Tek after what I just seen on my quad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My dyno runs were disappointing to say the least after seeing the graphs. Bottom line is Buddah and I both agree it was a waste of money on my quad. He seen some gains, but I lost power everywhere except the last 500 rpms. I won't speak for Buddah if he thought the money was worth what he got out of it.. If somebody asked me if the price of the controller is worth the 350-400 plus the cost of the dyno runs I would give a big HEALL NO!! I'm putting my dyna tek ignition and controller back on and be 300-350 bucks richer.. I ate the cost of dyno runs and a I will lose 50 bucks on my MSD. If there is a good deal on used Dyna Tek controllers vs the cost of the MSD I would buy the used Dyna Tek after what I just seen on my quad.
Why not PC3/PC5?

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's weird. I'd heard nothing but good news on others results. I'll take Daniel's advice and experience, and try one.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Basically dont think your going to gain anthing with the msd Blaster over what a good tuned ignition and dynatek are gonna make
ive done back to back test on the MSD and pcv/dyna

IMO MSD is a great way to go from the start though for the lower cost of fuel and ignition controllers all in one

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't understand all these people that already have a good fuel controller and ignition that switch to the msd and expect gains. A properly tuned bike is just that, and it doesn't matter what controller you are using. The msd is a nice unit I'm sure, but I'm not throwing any money away to get a unit that does the same thing. I know it adjusts easier on the dyno because it doesn't go into near the detail the power commanders do. Not slamming on anyone, I've just talked to several people that have told me how much better the msd unit is after pulling their stuff off and I just laugh. I refuse to drink the koolaid no matter how tasty it looks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I did see some gain with the MSD on my build.
The MSD made 69.55 HP at 8100 rpm compared to 66.47 with the Dyna.
At peak the MSD made 70.29 HP compared to 68.69 with the Dyna.
The torque peaked at 51.48 with the MSD & 50.80 with the Dyna.

The MSD made more power & torque all the way to 7000 rpm and had better overrev.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My ignition was non programmable so picked up some with the timing on the MSD.

Seen much better results with the MSD on my '09 YFZ450R compared with the PCV as well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
It comes down to how good your tuner is, if you have a good dyno tuner he should make the same number either way assuming he's just tuning fuel and ignition. The MSD is eaisier because it has far less cells to tune and it does have some cool features as well. That being said, if people are picking up power with the MSD, my guess is because their tuner was leaving power on the table with the other controller.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My ignition was non programmable so picked up some with the timing on the MSD.
That's where the power came from right there. Not that the MSD is a better unit, he just didn't have an equal test. A non programmable ignition and one you can program are like two different planets IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts