Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A somewhat local guy has a built raptor 700 engine for sale, he said it blew over the weekend, and had less than 10hrs on it since rebuild.
it has:
Hot rods +5 crank, cp11:1, x4 cam, ported head, kw hd springs, stock clutch etc.. He said he was riding it, it went pop, and is locked up now. All I really want it for is the head..you guys think it'd be likely the head is damaged? I didn't know if maybe it floated a valve or what.. He said cam chain is tight and it didn't loose time, idk if that even means a thing though lol. He has not torn it apart and not sure if he even wants to.

what do you guys think? Steer clear or go for it/try to salvage and sell parts I don't need?
price is around $500 btw. Kind of sounds like a gamble to me but wanted to see what you all thought.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sounds like the toys r us crank went to crap, or it could be something in the tranny.. You wont know about the bottom end or valves in the head unless you pull it apart. What size valves are in the head? Because you can get a nice stock valve port for cheaper than $500

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You could give it a whirl. I know people on here are always looking for cases and could also sell transmission. Also if head is damaged cam should be fine so you could make your money back maybe plus some.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Woolfman, what do you think an engine like that (just saying the crank, cylinder, and piston are shot) is worth in parts? (e.g. cases, tranny, clutch, etc)

I think I may go for it, and cross my fingers... He was running straight lines when it blew, so IDK if it was crank failure and the piston seized or what. Hopefully (maybe) the head would be salvagable...and the cam hehe.

I've got the 11.5:1 piston, +3tb, dmc duals, intake, dynatek programable, PCIII, and HC2 but I'd really like to get a head/diff cam and call it quits and this just seemed like a good opportunity.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
must be talkin bout the guy off rf i talked to about the motor. seems like a rod bearing failure but the pop is what worried me. it will usually just shut down. you should tell him that yall will pull the head and youll take it if the head is good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
must be talkin bout the guy off rf i talked to about the motor. seems like a rod bearing failure but the pop is what worried me. it will usually just shut down. you should tell him that yall will pull the head and youll take it if the head is good.
Hmm...didnt see that, could you pm me a link maybe?
I had a z400 that locked up on me WFO (I still won though haha), the crank bearings gave and piston locked up. The top end was untouched though. I got lucky. I'm afraid he will want a lot more if he sees the head is good (not even sure what it'd be worth, btw)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
being that it is locked up that is bad news... pull the intake and exhaust off of it... if all the valves are still there then that is a good sign..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
probably 50 50 chance the head is ok but if its not you should be able to get your money back parting it out. Offer him 400 with out checking it. Then you might even be able to make some money parting it out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If the cases are good, I will take them for 300 bucks. If that helps you make the decision. But they must be in good shape, so check the cases real good before buying it. lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I'm supposed to be getting pictures tonight. If the head just has an at-home port job, stock valves (with hd springs), I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to me. I'll let you guys know what happens! And Trent, I will let you know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts