Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are servicing our quads tonight to get ready to go on a group ride tomorrow AM and when changing my oil this happened. When I tighten my drain plug I always just snug it up by hand, then give it just another little tug and I'm done. Tonight when removing the drain plug it loosened very easy just like it always has. The threads on the drain plug look great. As you can see in the pics only the first 1/4 - 1/2 of the first thread is coming out.

What are my options at this point?

Can I take a chance and try and re-install the factory drain plug and see if it leaks?

I've seen an after market Fram-Oil Drain plug kit posted before on RF. Should I try and install that instead of the factory drain bolt? If so, what size do I need?

It looks like I will only get one shot at this if I try to re-install the Fram kit or my original drain plug.

HELP.... NEED ADVICE ON WHAT REPAIR IS THE BEST LONG TERM.

-Johnny

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
IMO your best long term option is going to be to getting a slightly bigger plug and retapping your hole to match.....Sounds scary but it's really easy......However, I've been doing stuff like this for years......If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself ????.....your best option IMO is finding someone who has experience with this sort of thing. Good luck...\

Now if I were you I'd try putting the stock plug back in very very carefully...

·
Registered
562 Posts
jhonny i have one of the plugs bigbird made if you need one i can hook you up with one
justin

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it were me i would try and put the stock plug back in.. just be easy with it.. i would also cut the loose thread so it doesn't get into the motor...
My only concern is if I put the factory drain plug back in, is that the next time I go and change the oil I will have a bigger problem.

That's why I though that if I installed the Fram kit, and it worked and didn't leak, then I could still service the oil changes on my quad.

-Johnny

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jhonny i have one of the plugs bigbird made if you need one i can hook you up with one
justin
What plug? How does it work? Will I be able to change my oil without problems going forward if I use it?

How would I get it from you, tonight?

-Johnny

·
Registered
562 Posts
its all good it is to help a fellow rider out you know leave no man behind :thumb:

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big Thanks to J-Dog for meeting me late Saturday night and giving me one of "Bigbird's" nylon drain plugs. I cut the broken off thread ring and installed the nylon drain plug. Added oil and no leaks so far, I'll recheck in the moring. The only thing is that the nylon drain plug did not "tighten" up it "snugged" up. I think that I am heading for a Heli-Coil to correct this problem for good, then try and find another "Nylon" drain plug that fits. Thanks for everyones imput and help.

Now, anybody in the Phoenix area good at setting Heli-Coils?

-Johnny

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Wow, I go to sleep early and I miss all sorts of stuff! Glad you got it fixed JB..:thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now, anybody in the Phoenix area good at setting Heli-Coils?

-Johnny
I used to put them in our M61 guns in our Phalanx CIWS system about 10 years ago. They are a piece of cake, so you won't need any help. If you want someone to swing by and drink a beer to watch you while you install it, give me a call, though. :thumb:

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, I go to sleep early and I miss all sorts of stuff! Glad you got it fixed JB..:thumb:
It's not really fixed, the nylon drain plug is holding but like I said it wouldn't tighten down it would only snug down. I need to get a heli-coil to properly repair it.:banghead:

-Johnny

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to put them in our M61 guns in our Phalanx CIWS system about 10 years ago. They are a piece of cake, so you won't need any help. If you want someone to swing by and drink a beer to watch you while you install it, give me a call, though. :thumb:
So if I understand YOU correctly, YOU will come over, and YOU will drink my beer, while YOU watch me install a heli-coil properly??? Cool.

What size heli-coil do I need, where do you get one?

-Johnny

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure what size you need since we had a pretty large kit with many sizes. If you take your drain plug down to NAPA, they should be able to match it up. Buy the one that includes the drill bit, the tap, insertion tool and replacement coils that way you don't have to guess if your bits and tap will work.

So you don't want any company??? I'll give you a hand if you want and I can bring some beer... :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts