Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. If someone would be able to help me out here, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

I just got done riding a bit ago, and it looks like my base gasket is seeping around the right side of it. It almost doesn't feel like oil, seems like coolant though? Is this possible?? I just put a CP 11.5:1 piston in it maybe 15 hours ride time ago, and bought OEM gaskets when I did the job. The original head bolts were used, and were torqued to 30Nm's. Do I have to pull the whole damn thing apart, and replace the base gasket? Or should I pull the head and check torque or what?

I also saw before that people were saying evac valves will help stop seeping gaskets. I don't mean to take the coward way out of this, but don't want to pull it apart again lol. Is this true?
It'd save me buying another head and base gasket, and set of rings :lol:

PLEASE help a brotha out if you have any ideas.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is it a sleeved cylinder? Did you use any kind of sealant such as spray copper coat? If not do so on the next tear down. Does your oil look milky or loosing coolant? And how bad is it really?
ultimatly if it is leaking you need to tear down and redo the gasket, if you are going to go as far as taking the head off to check cylinder torque you might as well tear the whole thing down and redo the base and head gasket, make sure you apply copper coat or 3bond 1211 gasket sealant before assembly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The only way coolant is going to get to the base gasket is if the cylinder is cracked, but I would think you would have milky oil. As said above if it is bad enough you are going to have to change it. If the gasket you used was good you really should not have any issues, I have never used any copper coat or anything other than a coat of oil on the base gasket and have never had an issue. If it were me, I would change it....but I am kinda anal about that stuff.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've always used copper coat on all my gaskets that's why I suggested it, but the oil coating the gasket should work as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I did not use a copper spray or any kind of liquid bond, just a coat of oil on the gasket before putting it together. Is it possible the cylinder bolts just need to be retorqued?

You guys are right about it, if I'm going that far I may as well just do the base gasket, but I'm concerned why it's like this in the first place. I was just trying to prevent having to buy rings for the piston since it hasn't been in there too long anyway.

As far as coolant, I was leaking coolant but I think it was out of the overflow resivoir tube. That's another issue :(. To check to see if my HG was leaking and maybe blowing coolant into the resivoir, I drained the overflow tank, ran it, and after 20min or so it was maybe 1/2" up in the overflow tank. Even before I drained it, I didn't see any bubbling or anything at high rpms.

I need to check my oil. It didn't seem milky when I changed the break in oil though..

Maybe that is oil on the bottom. It was a real fine sandy residue (fourwheeler was a little dusty from my last riding trip) and when I rubbed it between my fingers it just didn't seem oily, it seemed more like coolant.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had a base gasket oil leak in my 105build and the only way I fixed it was to replace it . Never had the issue again. If you think its coolant that you feel by your base gasket remember if your still leaking coolant somewhere when you ride that shit will travel everywhere and you think you have a leak somewhere but you really don't.if you clean it all up and it still leaks you will just have to break it down and start over unfortunately!

·
Registered
468 Posts
If your rings are new, there is no need to replace them just to change the base gasket you can use them..although I would inspect them check the gaps, if there good there good. If your overflow was empty and after 20 min of ridding it was half full..thats alot...may have other issues with the HG.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
09RappySE, I emptied the tank and after 20min, it was maybe 1/2" up from empty. I figured this could just be from the lines or something.

Do I need to replace the studs? I'm stock bore, stock stroke so figured I'd be okay reusing them, with 11.5:1 compression. I sure didn't get much time out of those gaskets lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nick,
You should be fine with the stock studs for the jug, matter of fact I'm still using my stock ones with the 105.5 and on there 3rd torque.
If you think you have a coolant leak use some dye for coolant in your system that will tell where its leaking. Use a black light and it will pin point the leak for you. I had to do that on my new 105.5 as it had a porosity hole in the jug :banghead:, had to take it back apart and send to WK for repairs. Come to think of it I had a little oil leak on the front of my jug/case when I put the BBK on, all new gaskets where put on after sending it off and no more leak.

PS: Be sure you gasket surfaces are clean.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your studs are fine its not them something went haywire in them gaskets thoe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nick,
You should be fine with the stock studs for the jug, matter of fact I'm still using my stock ones with the 105.5 and on there 3rd torque.
If you think you have a coolant leak use some dye for coolant in your system that will tell where its leaking. Use a black light and it will pin point the leak for you. I had to do that on my new 105.5 as it had a porosity hole in the jug :banghead:, had to take it back apart and send to WK for repairs. Come to think of it I had a little oil leak on the front of my jug/case when I put the BBK on, all new gaskets where put on after sending it off and no more leak.

PS: Be sure you gasket surfaces are clean.
Tony,
where do you get this dye at?? I just HAVE to have this thing fixed with no issues by the end of March, running out of time! :thumbsdown:

Guess it's time to tear her down boys. Is it even worth just trying to retorque the bolts then? Or just spring for another base gasket too? I just feel like I should be doing mods while I'm in there, but don't have the money! Lol

As dannyray said, it would really suck to pull it apart, new gaskets, and realize that isn't my issue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would not just pull it apart...find out what is leaking and where and go from there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought about it a bit. My buddy said on his 450, the seal in his water pump went out and was blowing coolant on his jug/upper part of his block out the weep hole. Do the 700's have anything like this, or is this possible?? I may try to pull that off (I've never had it off though so don't know why an o-ring would leak), to check that o-ring out and see if maybe its getting behind that.
I think I have further issues if coolant is coming out between the jug and block, crossing my fingers that it isn't!

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can get the dye at O'Reilly in Ste. Gen. If the seal goes out in the water pump it will leak out that clear hose that comes from the pump as far as I know and seen.
Get some of the dye and put it in the radiator (warm it up good) and should be able to see if its coolant of not for sure. See attached picture thats what it will look like (florescent green) without a black light. Good luck if you need any help let me know possible be able to help you get it running.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can get the dye at O'Reilly in Ste. Gen. If the seal goes out in the water pump it will leak out that clear hose that comes from the pump as far as I know and seen.
Get some of the dye and put it in the radiator (warm it up good) and should be able to see if its coolant of not for sure. See attached picture thats what it will look like (florescent green) without a black light. Good luck if you need any help let me know possible be able to help you get it running.
Thank you for the help! I'll have to do that this weekend.
I read up a little more on it, and see that the weep hole has the clear hose coming out of it, so it'd definitely not coming out of there.
Just say it is coolant, and I can't pinpoint anywhere other than the bottom of the cylinder where it'd be coming from, then what??

·
Registered
365 Posts
If it's coolant on the right side, I'd verify I didn't have a leak first. There are a few places that coolant flows on the right side of the motor. There is the thermostat housing and associated sealing bolt (small bolt with a copper washer used to drain the air when refilling with coolant). There's also coolant lines that run from the throttle body and connect to the thermostat housing. You also have the coolant temp sensor. Any of these could be weeping and since they are above the base gasket, coolant will run down to the first horizontal surface and begin to pool up or at least become more visible.

Water pump is located in the clutch housing cover and is below what you are referencing so I'd rule that out.

Stock bolts for the jug can be used again and again. it's the bolts for the cylinder head that guys buy new or install studs.

You rings are fine if you just installed the piston. You'll need a new head gasket and base gasket if you tear it down.

Verify none of these are leaking before tearing it down. If your coolant tank was empty and after 20 mins it had coolant in it, is no cause for concern either. Coolant expands when it gets hot and so it will push some into the overflow tank when hot and then draw it back in as it cools.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
^ Perfect, thank you mustangracer! Quick question, where is this thermostat housing, and temp sensor? I've pretty much checked the main rubber hose fittings and hose clamps, never looked into the other stuff though.

Cool graphics on your Raptor BTW, my friend had those same Head Creeps graphics

·
Registered
365 Posts
^ Perfect, thank you mustangracer! Quick question, where is this thermostat housing, and temp sensor? I've pretty much checked the main rubber hose fittings and hose clamps, never looked into the other stuff though.
No problem. If you haven't downloaded the manual yet ...do it. Guys on here are gonna be helpful for things that they choose to help with but patience wears thin when guys aren't willing to try and do some homework on their own and "then" ask for help. Homework entails something that can be found in the manual or in the search function.

Find the manual here http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/raptor-700-maintenance/336-raptor-700-service-manual.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I do have the manual, and I really do appreciate the help and responses. Didn't mean to aggravate anyone, or use up all my "free answers" ;).
I'm going to do some searching on it, dye my coolant to ensure it is coolant, and I will report back with my findings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts