Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dicking around with the idea of adding some lights to my quads so they can see better at night. What do I need to know?

I'm guessing I can run two 35 watt lights in addition to the factory lights. Yes? No?

Do I need to buy lights that are ATV specific or can any 12 volt light work?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i have the trailtech but not the hids and they work very well. much better than stock

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you want to light the night go with the solteks. They are spendy though. I have the Nite rider Hellfire light kit and they are good just not as good as the Solteks. Their customer service is awesome too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Y'all are spending up to $400 for auxiliary lights? That's ridiculous.
I'd like more than what the stockers provide but not at those prices - hell I could buy a set of off road lights for my pickup for that much.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
thats what they are pretty much. they are $ but they are worth it if u want that ammount of light. a good cheaper set would be the trailtechs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
do they make HIDs for the stock light....just the bulb?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm running the Trail Tech bar mounted lights, they kick ass! They are pretty small and don't seem to be in the way of anything so far. With them turned on you can turn the stock lights on and off and you don't even see the stock ones. I hated night riding before I got these because the stock lights suck so bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
and its just a bulb.... you replace the normal bulb and put that 1 in?

·
Registered
78 Posts
no you need a ballast to fire up an HID bulb. The link to that kit is for ballast lamp and all the wiring. If you do get it make sure you get the H6M bulb.

Here is where i mounted my ballast.

·
Registered
332 Posts
ok cool!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up going with a helmet mounted light made by Lead-Dog. Its single 35 watt bulb puts out more light than both the stock headlights do combined. And being able to look into turns and into valleys before diving down the face of a dune is excellent - something you can't do so much with handlebar or other quad mounted lights.

The Lead-Dog lights seem to be somewhat time tested in the snowmobile world. Having used mine now, but on a quad, I can see why. Once I get pictures I'll show you what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Headrope. Can you post a link to the lights you got. I would like to look at them. You run them off the quad or a seperate bat.?

·
Registered
32 Posts
We went with Baja Designs dual HID's for our WR 450's. Cant even tell its dark out!! Love these lights but again they are on our WR's. Im sure you can get them on your raptor just fine. They are pricey and you have to wire the stator for 150w though. I now you were'nt looking to spend that much but I figured I'd let you know how awesome they are!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ended up going with a helmet mounted light made by Lead-Dog. Its single 35 watt bulb puts out more light than both the stock headlights do combined. And being able to look into turns and into valleys before diving down the face of a dune is excellent - something you can't do so much with handlebar or other quad mounted lights.

The Lead-Dog lights seem to be somewhat time tested in the snowmobile world. Having used mine now, but on a quad, I can see why. Once I get pictures I'll show you what I'm talking about.

I need to invest in a set of these cause we do alot of night racing and our HID's work great until the front wheel comes off the ground and your back in the dark!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Headrope. Can you post a link to the lights you got. I would like to look at them. You run them off the quad or a seperate bat.?
The helmet light is both 12volt AC and DC meaning it can run off the quad's stator when it's running, or the quad's battery when the ignition is off and you don't have to wear a Batman-type utility belt or vest battery pack.

It's designed to be wired into the high beam switch but I just ran the hot wire to the positive terminal on the Raptor's battery and the ground wire to the negative terminal on the battery with a store bought switch in between. There's another wire that you can wire into the brake light - making the helmet light also a brake light - but I didn't wire that in because I wanted to make sure I liked using the helmet light before splicing into factory wiring and making things permanent. My rinky-dink wiring setup held up fine even after a week of riding and jumping in the dunes.

I am extremely impressed with the Lead Dog helmet light and the price was definitely right. Installation is not complicated at all. If you are capable of jump starting a car you are capable of installing this.

http://www.helmetlight.com/

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just for clarification... you 'can' run stock lights plus another set but you will be over-drawing the charging system. You won't know it until the quad either starts running like crap and the check engine light comes one, or you can't crank because the battery is low after stopping.

If going aftermarket I wouldn't venture much past 70w for your lights. Even at 70w (2x 35w) on mine I notice the charging system hurting after along night.

Most people aren't crazy and run the light all night long like I do (I've ridden sunset to sunrise) but it certainly tests the limits of the charging system! Of course if you're riding faster it's less of an issue since the charging is better when you're in the revs.

I'm running 35w H6M HID conversions and I like 'em a lot. I like the looks of that helmet light too! That'd rock in the dunes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts