Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought a pro com cdi for my 660 but with the box installed the bike will not start it just backfires and when i turn the key on the reverce light comes on and goes off do i have a bad box

·
Registered
15 Posts
What was the problem originally, is this something that happened after you installed the new cdi.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well I can't speak for everybody, I think you will find that the common consensus among 660 riders is that the stock CDI box is all that is required. I believe I reading somewhere that there were no real measurable results to be gained using an aftermarket box. I have heard of a lot of guys having trouble with the aftermarket boxes. Hopefully you can get yours working though, good luck.

·
I am smarter than you....
2,051 Posts
I believe I reading somewhere that there were no real measurable results to be gained using an aftermarket box.

there are measureable results, the hp and torque fall flat on their face and the rod is much more likely to snap. the piston and rod are just to damn big to sping that fast. most guys who build a descent machine will put a dynatech ignition on to lower their rev limit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
so i bought a pro com cdi for my 660 but with the box installed the bike will not start it just backfires and when i turn the key on the reverce light comes on and goes off do i have a bad box
The reverse light operation is normal, all the Procom based units do it.

I have heard that some people have problems starting in gear or starting without the clutch pulled in after switching to the Procom boxes, so if you haven't already (I'm sure you have) try starting in neutral.

What I would do first is plug the OEM cdi back in (assuming it's still good) and seeing if you have the same problem. I would also clean and check the plugs going into the cdi as well as battery wire connections and the like. It's possible that you have a bad box, if the simple fixes don't do it then you may want to contact your retailer or Procom to see about a warranty replacement.

·
2,051 Posts
haha this isnt the first time maddog came behind me and actually answered the question that was asked. i need to stop being so blunt on here but i am just to lazy to type out a long "correct" answer

btw nice to see you here md

·
Registered
95 Posts
there are measureable results, the hp and torque fall flat on their face and the rod is much more likely to snap. the piston and rod are just to damn big to sping that fast. most guys who build a descent machine will put a dynatech ignition on to lower their rev limit.
:blahblah:

There are quite a few Raptors running around with raised rev limits. If it's built to spin, 10K rpm is a walk in the park.

Changing ignition timing with a programmable CDI also allows nitrous and nitro to burn most efficiently.

Some have reported improvements in time-to-rpm by changing ignition timing but those numbers are very close hold.

·
2,051 Posts
ya you are correct ubet.

BUT not everyone is gonna throw 20000 at their engine just to loose at drag racing. you need to stop trying to make people look stupid.

yes if you make the rotating assembly lighter and balance it it can spin faster, but 99.99 percent of people dont do this. most people think that hey if i throw an extra 1000 rpms at my stock engine it will make tons more power. im trying to help people to not blow up their engine, not giving them info that works on only the top of the line engines that they dont have. get off your high horse and try twisting a wrench on your own machine instead of throwing money around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ya you are correct ubet.

BUT not everyone is gonna throw 20000 at their engine just to loose at drag racing. you need to stop trying to make people look stupid.

yes if you make the rotating assembly lighter and balance it it can spin faster, but 99.99 percent of people dont do this. most people think that hey if i throw an extra 1000 rpms at my stock engine it will make tons more power. im trying to help people to not blow up their engine, not giving them info that works on only the top of the line engines that they dont have. get off your high horse and try twisting a wrench on your own machine instead of throwing money around.
Insult me all you want, you were still wrong. If you post accurate information, nobody can make you look stupid. Exactly how many rods do you know that have come apart from adding an aftermarket CDI? :lol:

And isn't this forum called Modded Raptor? Perhaps you should start your own forum called Bolt On Raptor since that's the extent of your knowledge about these machines. I turn a hell of a lot more wrenches on Raptors than you and I'm a hell of a lot faster than you, either of my Raptors will half track yours anywhere in the country. Where is it that you race again? :lol:

Making outrageous claims is not helping anyone, the guy still has a problem. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Adding timing, which is what most of the aftermarket CDIs do, can make the machine harder to start. Does the motor spin as fast as it did with the stock CDI or is it turning over slower?

·
2,051 Posts
ok john i do know of about three or four raptors that had rod failures shortly after installing a rev box, i dont remember which ones exactly but they were from bt. so that is accurate info because everyone knows that the stock rod is weak, yes there are some with 727s on stock rods and i think it is awesome their rods have held up but most dont.

second i would hope your quads are faster, they are drag quads mine is a trail quad. and i have a lot more experience on raptors than you thinnk but i am not gonna enter that pissing match.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts