Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Project and Possible conversation with God about my wrenching choices.

GF's Son's Friend has a 200(?) Yamaha Raptor, I think a 600cc.

Water Pump Cover weep hole started leaking consistently, told him not to keep riding it until fixed, kid didn't listen and only added water as a fix, don't know if he ran it dry though?

Kid mentions something about driving through a big puddle WFO where his problems began, thinks he blew it up?

Bike will start and idle apparently however when he goes to give it any amount of throttle it will bog out, not accelerate and he thinks it's popping through the exhaust. I asked about smoke, either White or Blue coming out the exhaust and he's unsure if any.

I've never worked on a 4 Stroke Bike/Quad, plenty of experience with 2 Smokes and Auto stuff though.

Is the Raptor motor an interference type fit meaning if he did blow something up wouldn't the Valve be smacking the Piston?

To me the popping / backfiring through the exhaust, the inability to rev out, the W.P. Impeller Shaft Seal Issue along with taking a overheating (I would assume it was) motor through an instant cooling puddle, leads me to thinking it's a possible Blown Head Gasket.

Once I get the bike I am going to check all the electrical, see what it does and sounds like upon start up and look it over carefully before agreeing on taking the job as I'm a little elary of taking on a 4 Stk. motor job, if it requires that.

If you don't agree with the H.G. diagnosis what are your thoughts on what it could be?

If it needs an entire top end and piston kit, how hard of a job is it to install?

Rough price of parts?

Is getting the Valve Train in an all timed up a .....?

If the Valve seats need replacing what do machine shops charge for this type of job?

How much compression, roughly should this motor have?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Phucker....PB Disconnected, sealed and bike is running great...What a wonderful site and resource...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts