Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my YFZ shocks in today. :banana: They are 08 YFZ's with a GT Thunder conversion (link to their site: http://www.gtthunder.com/yfz450v4.htm) with a XC dual rate spring setup for 200 lbs (I am 195). It has a "200" sticker on the main blue spring, so I have to assume I bought what was supposed to be sold to me. I need a friend to take measurements to help me properly setup the sag. When I sit on my raptor I use to be able to rock it from side to side when it's stationary and get it up on 2 wheels. Not anymore!

I have an 06 with the stock shocks and this is my first shock upgrade. They seem initially much less springy than my stock ones. I have played around with the pre-load, starting at the softest setting and going to about 2/3 of the way down. Measuring my ride height at the top of my bumper when I am sitting on it and off of it, it barely moves up and down, maybe 1/2" but the height varies about 2", the more pre-load, the higher the measurement at the top of my bumper.

When I would stand on my raptor stationary and jump up and down, the front end hardly budges at all with the YFZ's and the stockers use to bounce up and down as much as the rear does. :wtf:

Has anyone else that has upgraded from the stock 06 shocks seen this kind of behavior? Is this to be expected with better shocks on the front? I was a dumb ass and didn't measure my ground clearance with the stockers before I put these on, so I may have to put them back on and take some measurements to see IF I have lost any clearance. :banghead:

Any input or differences you noticed with your shock upgrades would be greatly appreciated. I will have a full review this weekend as I will hopefully be getting out for a ride. Thanks. :thumb:

Here is a pic of them: 08 YFZ's High & Low speed compression & Rebound Adj :rockon:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
they look good al2fast.

·
Registered
201 Posts
See the black spring?Inside of that is a collar.Its called a crossover.That black spring will give you your plush ride then when crossover comes in contact the main spring comes into play.When jumping,cornering etc.Anywhere you need stiff spring.So you want to have a gap of at least a 1/2" that the crossover can move around.GT Thunder would have a closer spec.I bet they will tell you.But seeing its for a YFZ it probably is going to be a issue with your Raptor unless you can bring the rear shock down to match it for ride hieght.Those are nice shocks.Worth doing the back for compatability.

·
Registered
263 Posts
See the black spring?Inside of that is a collar.Its called a crossover.That black spring will give you your plush ride then when crossover comes in contact the main spring comes into play.When jumping,cornering etc.Anywhere you need stiff spring.So you want to have a gap of at least a 1/2" that the crossover can move around.GT Thunder would have a closer spec.I bet they will tell you.But seeing its for a YFZ it probably is going to be a issue with your Raptor unless you can bring the rear shock down to match it for ride hieght.Those are nice shocks.Worth doing the back for compatability.

flip your rear link to even out the back to the front....or get a lowering kit:rockon:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a couple pics of them installed, they aren't the greatest, I snapped them earlier this AM on my way outta the door to work. I can get some better pics later. As soon as I plant my ass on the raptor, it feels to level out pretty good as the back really sinks down, like it always did, I just don't have the stock pogo sticks in the front pushing it up. I have my pre-load spring on the stocker in the rear cranked down about 2/3 of the way.

If I do a lowering kit, does that just affect ride height or does that affect ground clearance too? Someone was trying to get rid of a GT Thunder lowering link too recently. If I flip that mount in the rear, are there going to be any adverse consequences?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Put a GT Thunder 700r XC link in the rear and that should even things out and make your Rear Shock work even better with the new fronts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, it is unreal the improvement in cornering! I don't know that the ride is any smoother, but it stays real flat in the corners, no more 2 wheelin on the side wheels! I rode trails I haven't rode since last year, so when I return to the usual stomping grounds I should be able to tell if it's smoother or not through rough sections.

This is comparable to the "big 3" upgrade to the motor, except in handling!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
im glad they worked out for you al2fast! u got a great deal on those things!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did the shocks lower the front end at all ?
I honestly can't tell you if I did or not because I didn't measure before I took the stock pogo sticks off. I have had no clearance issues yet. Just sitting there the front sits lower, but when I plop my ass on the seat, the front hardly compresses where the old ones would compress significantly more than these. IF I did lose any clearance, it is minimal. THEY ARE WORTH IT!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts