Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help before doing a total disassembly.

Just put together an 804 build that we had apart to have ISF treatment done on the tranny gears, new cam, and just basic inspection of the bottom end, etc.

Anyways, got it reassembled and installed. Added one quart of oil directly into the clutch side and 1 quart into the oil tank like we always do. Tried to prime the system by cranking it over, and cracking the line loose that feeds the top end and waiting for oil to appear. We could never get it to start pumping.

Soo, decided to tighten everything back up and fire it up anyways, and see if it primed that way. After a short startup, checked again and no oil to the topend. Checked the oil tank and it was full... So, for some reason the oil is getting to the tank but not recirculating.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what it ended up being before we disassemble this thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Kris

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looking for a little help before doing a total disassembly.

Just put together an 804 build that we had apart to have ISF treatment done on the tranny gears, new cam, and just basic inspection of the bottom end, etc.

Anyways, got it reassembled and installed. Added one quart of oil directly into the clutch side and 1 quart into the oil tank like we always do. Tried to prime the system by cranking it over, and cracking the line loose that feeds the top end and waiting for oil to appear. We could never get it to start pumping.

Soo, decided to tighten everything back up and fire it up anyways, and see if it primed that way. After a short startup, checked again and no oil to the topend. Checked the oil tank and it was full... So, for some reason the oil is getting to the tank but not recirculating.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what it ended up being before we disassemble this thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Kris
Try to pressurize the oil tank as you turn it over with the upper oil line/banjo cracked.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already tried that with no success, unfortunately. But thanks for the suggestion Bruce.

Also, just to clarify my original post, when I said the tank was full, I'm talking full-full. It had evacuated all the oil out of the crankcase and into the tank.

We know it's gotta be something simple. Just hoping it's something simple that can be fixed without cracking the case halves again. Probably not our luck though!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Pull the bleeder out of the top of the oil filter cover and see if you have oil there. If not then the oil pump isnt working. If there is oil pressure there then pull the line off of the bottom of the oil tank and see if it is plugged up. Also check the top oil line and make sure it is clear. Let us know what ya find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pull the bleeder out of the top of the oil filter cover and see if you have oil there. If not then the oil pump isnt working. If there is oil pressure there then pull the line off of the bottom of the oil tank and see if it is plugged up. Also check the top oil line and make sure it is clear. Let us know what ya find.
even put 2qts in crankcase,fired for 10 sec. oil tank had filled completely!started with no oil in tank!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if you did'nt mesh up the oil pump gear when you reassembled it. If I remember right you can still bolt everything up with out the oil pump gear being mated to its drive gear.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Trent. As ks3racing said (his bike), he even tried filling the crankcase with 2 qts and fired it up. Filled the tank within 10 seconds of fire up.

He has taken the pump out and checked it. Performing fine. The filter in the bottom of the oil tank was clear. He's sprayed out the line that runs to the topend, along with blowing air through the passages that can be accessed with both side covers off... He's getting ready to throw a match on the whole machine I think. Hopefully we'll find something tonight.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm starting to wonder if you did'nt mesh up the oil pump gear when you reassembled it. If I remember right you can still bolt everything up with out the oil pump gear being mated to its drive gear.
I don't know Preddy, I'm sure he'll check this out tonight. Although I haven't personally looked into it too much, I would assume if the pump wasn't meshed up, it wouldn't be able to pump the oil back into the tank. But that part seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the tip though!

Guess I'll check in with him again tonight and see if he's had any luck. I'll be sure to post up what he finds.

Thanks again, Kris

·
Registered
924 Posts
what viscosity are you running, i know when i ran 20w50 it took forever to purge all the lines with oil till it finially got to the head. just my .02 good luck

·
Registered
380 Posts
I know he has checked the screen in the lower line in the tank but did he blow air thru the line that goes into the motor. there are two of them I would check both of them. There is a dowel with a o-ring between the case halves, is there a chance that he did not put it back in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess there's always a chance an o-ring was left out. All I know is that everything was laid out on the workbench, and that there weren't any parts left after reassembly, lol.

Anyways, didn't have any luck last night, so it looks like he'll be splitting the cases to find the problem. We were just hoping to find the culprit without having to do that again.

07Raptorgytr- the oil we run is Amsoil 10W30, so priming "shouldn't" have been an issue. But at this point, I guess anything is possible.

I'll let you guys know what we find out. Might be a week or so. Thanks to everyone replying to try and help out!

Kris

·
Registered
521 Posts
did you remove the reverse gear shaft? if so it is an oil line and can cause what you are talking about. Otherwise it has to be a blockage or missing piece which will not allow the pump to mantain proper pressure. The gear on the oil pump is directional as well you can reverse it and it wont spin correctly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reverse gear shaft was removed along with the rest of the tranny for isotropic treatment, which I think just involves micro polishing. But it was all reinstalled . Maybe it got blocked during the process, but we forced air through the passages and oil from the tranny shafts blew out all over hell's half acre. So I don't think that's it, but will recheck.

As far as the pump, it was never disassembled after working fine last fall, so I would think we could rule that out.

Unfortunately I'm leaning towards a missing o-ring inside the cases. We'll see.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pull the oil pump back off and pour oil in holes that the oil flows through. Turn the pump with the oil in it. Try to keep as much oil in it when putting it back on.

Had the same problem after a rebuild. It just lost it's prime.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There is a small dowel between the case halves that has a o-ring on it. I have seen it stick in one half and when you are cleaning it could fall out. Make sure that you have that dowel and o-ring in there when you get it apart. Also, as stated above you may try and prime the pump on final install. Keep us posted and we will figure this out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After Ron split the cases, the culprit reared its ugly head!

While putting the case halves back together the last time, he pulled them apart slightly because something wasn't quite meshing... Apparently at that time, the center dowel with the o-ring did come out of the other case half. But, instead of falling down, it laid itself sideways dead nuts on top of that same oil passage. At this point the cases still slid together and squished the dowel between the halves completely sealing the passage.

Luckily, Ron has always checked for proper oiling on all new engine builds before letting them rip! It finally paid off... While trying to find this problem, he would constantly oil/lube the topend before firing the engine and trying to get it primed. When he did split the cases, the bottom of the piston, wristpin, crank bearings, and cam were all still dripping with oil. Probably saved a considerable amount of dough by not dry siezing the build.

Anyways, long story short, for anyone doing a complete rebuild on one of these engines. Take time to add 1 quart of oil to the clutch side and 1 quart to the tank before firing it up. And then, take a few seconds to crack the line running to the topend to make sure oil is circulating to the topend. A few more minutes of time and alittle oil mess on the engine could save ya mucho dollars in the long run!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but looks like Raptor Trent was the closest to pinpointing the problem! This beast should be up and running as soon as the local Yammy dealer gets us a new dowel and o-ring!

Later- Kris

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He was probably lucky in the long run that it actually sealed the passage. If the dowel would have fell down in the cases, it "could" have eventually gotten caught and chewed up. Even if it didn't, without the dowel in there, the top end would have possibly suffered from decreased oil pressure, causing premature wear on components.

Anyways, should be good to go now! Zoom, zoom!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I have an 02 raptor 660 my first raptor getting no oil to head I get oil pumping to filter but not where that line bolts that runs up to the head I changed out the oil pump do to the one way bearing go bad hoping to get it fixed before it gets to cold

1 - 20 of 20 Posts