Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you using?

I am in the run for an alternative OIL for my Raptor [other than Yamalube], I would like to get an alternative OIL that can be purchased in larger or bulk quantities.

I am purchasing a 2-1/2 gallon jug from Utility Jugs-R-Us of which I plan to store my Raptor's Oil, in!!!

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm running spectro 10w-40. syn.

I'm not really liking it that much.
When I goto get my gaskets and cable today to finish my clutch job I'm gonna get more oil.
not going to go with spectro this time

·
Registered
936 Posts
I run Maxima Syn Blend 20w50.....i get it in cases of 12, 1 liter jugs from a local Powersports mechanic

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been getting the big jugs of Yamalube but other times I'm running valvoline four stroke oil (atv or motorcycle it doesn't matter).

I like that it is availible at most auto stores and large grocery/mega stores with automotive sections, makes it easier to grab a quart in an emergency. But I don't believe Valvoline makes a larger container than a quart.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=76
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=77

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holly cow... look who is online at the MODDED-RAPTOR!

Thanks for the info. one and all!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run Valvoline atv too and it works but I have tryed syn. oil, so if you are hard on the clutch then you do not wont to use syn. oil it will make you clutch slip...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i heard rotella t which is a diesel engine oil is good also you can get it at wal mart
It is my understanding that Rotella T and Chevron Delo are a 15w40 that have a high nickle content. I have no idea how this would effect a rappy engine.:eyebrow:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use Red Line Racing 40wt. It is a pure ester racing oil for auto use. I called Red Line to see what they would recommend; they recommended the Racing 40wt. I wanted to run something in a 30wt, and Red Line said they have motocross teams running their Racing 30wt with great results, but they felt better recommending the 40wt to me because of Yamaha's oil requirements for the temps I will be running in. Anyway, I was hesitant to run the auto oil and the fact that Red Line has a high moly content, you know tons of the slippery stuff. I only leave the oil in for 4 to 5 hours run time for four changes so far and it is doing great. No clutch slip at all and the oil doesn't even change color in that short change interval. I race my Rappy and am changing the oil mostly to remove clutch fibers. Red Line said their moto teams change oil every 2 to 3 hours, but I just can't bring myself to change the oil during a race weekend.

Good to have another Raptor forum up and running.

Chris

·
Registered
441 Posts
It is my understanding that Rotella T and Chevron Delo are a 15w40 that have a high nickle content. I have no idea how this would effect a rappy engine.:eyebrow:
You would be right, Rotella T is a 15w40 oil. I don't think I'd want to run it in my raptor motor.

Rotella Syn is 5w40, and that is what everyone runs that runs Rotella.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeah amsoil's got it!

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amsoil is effin rediculously priced! And at the change intervals that we Raptorians change our oil, we'd all go to the poor house changing our, oil!

Forget, dat!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I use amsoil in everything i own.For my rappy i use the 0-40w powersports blend. You can get it by the case but it needs to be ordered.:thumb:
+1:thumb:

FYI you can save on AMSOIL by purchasing it directly from a dealer. Granted, I live in the state where the stuff is made, but I can get AMSOIL for my truck cheaper than MOBIL1.

Check this link out: http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/

Pony up for the "Preferred Customer" status and supposedly pay dealer cost. I paid $6.25/qt the last time I bought OW-40 Powersports Blend oil in March. I don't know what you guys pay, especially for the Red Line and Rotella. I imagine I could get the AMSOIL cheaper if I bought in larger quantity, but I only change my oil probably 4 to 5 times a year.

Out of all of the oil tests I've seen, AMSOIL is almost always #1.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
This has nothing to do with raptors but on my '01 CR250 The builder said to "only" use Amsoil 2-stroke oil. So I did until one day I couldn't find any then I used something else in my bike and the sum-bitch wouldn't even run!!:eyebrow:

I just used the last of my Hondalube:wtf: it was all the dealer had, no yamalube.:mad1: I will be ordering some Amsoil motorcycle oil, I think?

What weight do I want to run? 10-40 or 20-50?

·
Registered
263 Posts
i run the yamalube 10w 50...i was a little skepticle at first but now that ive ran it for this season ive really liked it...its a little expensive but its one of the best formula's for our motors..(stock bore motors that is )...id stick with the yamalube... has it ever let you down b4??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts