Modded Raptors Forum banner

Which Piston?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-What piston are you running [manufacturer] and why?

-If other, please say which one!

-Give us your opinion as to why you choose one over any of the others.

-ie., reliabilty, price, intergrity, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i like my je 12:5:1 no problems with it.and other piston i would go to or which iam goin to is the racers edge custom cp 14:5:1

·
Registered
964 Posts
I also have a JE piston becasue thats what TQS offered in a package with a cam, pipes, intake, and controller. It works just fine and havent had any problems with it yet. I will be running the same JE 11:1 piston in my new build and it will have 12:1 actual compression and i had to cut eyebrows in it on both sides so it is even thinner. Im hoping it can hold up to this. If not im getting a 108.

·
Registered
964 Posts
But i think that what kenny is advertising, is one of the best option for a piston. Heavy duty boxed pin piston. Good for high HP builds and excellent for any application

·
Registered
391 Posts
Most all the big builders pistons are built to their specs by CP :thumb:

I don't know if that's who doing Kenny's for him or not but I will be trying out one of Kenny's new piston & ring packages in the future.

Randy

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
ill being going cp

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
Wiseco is a damn good piston, it just needs a little work before its assembled in an engine(so does the JE IMO). The JE is the lightest out of the bunch but the reason why is the crown of the piston is the thinnest and the skirt is the shortest......which sometimes is a good thing lol but sometimes not in all applications. The CP and Wiseco are about the same weights but the CP has a better wristpin fitment out of the box. All need the gaps done on the rings, Ive never been able to install rings out of the box......never. The CP is the best overall but is also the most expensive, the best bang for the buck is the Wiseco, the lightest is the JE. The JE has the least amount of valve clearance especially in a milled cylinder application and with the crown being as thin as it is its not the best pick if milling is planed. All are just as durable as the other IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
CP all the way never had 1 failure or even a crack even after 100+ hours on the dale motors. Havent had 1 JE last more than 10 hours. JE may be a good piston in a lower revving motor like the raptor and 400ex but in the old cannondales and other high revving 450s they just dont hold up.So if a cp can hold up in a shake rattle and roll dale motor with 12k rev they will work for me:banana: The monster maker knows his stuff thats why when he talks i listen. Wiseco makes a good piston also but cp is better imo. The real qestion is when is a company going to make a real oe quality gasket. Or Cometic needs to step it up :banghead:.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I believe that Kenny is going with Diamond to do his pistons.
We used to run custom diamond pistons in our 355 cid limited Sprint engines....they came from Earl Garete of Garete engines. We turned them motors 8200 RPM lap after lap and usually got 30 shows on them between rebuilds. I'd have no qualms at all running them in my new build.

Randy

·
Registered
924 Posts
i like my je 12:5:1 no problems with it.and other piston i would go to or which iam goin to is the racers edge custom cp 14:5:1
iam looking for a bigbore 13-14.5:1 piston.... does anyone have racers edge web address??

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have the JE 12.5:1 in mine now, hopefully tomorrow my Racer's Edge 14:1 CP shows up, I let you guys know which one I like more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts