Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2009 raptor 700 with a high compression piston and a full gytr exhaust. It struggles to start, and sometimes the relay just clicks, so I thought maybe just the starter relay wasn't good I might need one of those. Once it does start it runs for like maybe a minute and idles, then locks up/stalls. I have heard that maybe the decompression pin is messed up and that system doesn't work. Any input? Anything really can help, I ordered my starter relay and thts on it's way, so I'm not sure that that isn't the problem, but the decompression spring seems to make sense

Thanks for everything.

-Jared

·
Registered
76 Posts
What's your battery voltage? I just went through a mess with a crappy running raptor over voltage issues. Check your battery 1st man.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already tried that, also tried when I had jumper cables connected to my buddies quad and his car, still struggled to turn over. Any other ideas? Thanks for your quick reply

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's the starter relay because like right when you first go to start it, it turns over easy, then it struggles, and no Matter how quickly it starts it still stalls out within a minute or two. And when it struggles, the relay clicks a lot, but when it starts right up there is no clicking. Like sometimes it engages, an other times it doesn't. My buddy also thinks the relay can be the reason it stalls because if it stops making a good connection while running then that could be why it kills itself. Realy have no idea if he's right though

·
Registered
198 Posts
Starter relay isn't energized unless you have your thumb on the start button so it shouldn't cause it to stall after it's running. You might want to look for bad grounds and loose/broken wires. A bad ground can cause all that you are describing.

·
ROTM Administrator
1,155 Posts
Once it starts the starter relay won't have anything to do with it stalling.

It is possible that there is a problem with the bearings in the engine and they are trying to seize, this would explain the hard starting as the engine would be tight so the starter has a hard time turning it over and then when it starts it will run a short time until the affected bearing heats up and than seize (stall) and after it cools it will turn again. This may not be the case but it isn't a good sign that it is hard to start (turn over) and than dies after only a minute or so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Starter relay isn't energized unless you have your thumb on the start button so it shouldn't cause it to stall after it's running. You might want to look for bad grounds and loose/broken wires. A bad ground can cause all that you are describing.
Ditto, I explained this in my thread, that was the other thing I should have mentioned. What he is describing sounds almost exactly like my bike, I'm just surprised that it hasn't set the ses light on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really hope it isn't the bearings and it's just that it is the high compression piston!! Lol. I just thought that the relay was involved because there is a group of wires from the relay that go to the fuel pump fuse and the other fuses, so wouldn't there always have to be electricity going through the relay? And it's not like the quad is old it's only a 2009. My friend who owned it before me could wheelie it everywhere...I'm not sure what that could do to the motor or if that even helps you guys at all. When I get the relay in (by Friday this week) ill try that and see how it goes. If it isn't that, then I'm lost

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's electrical like Lycan said, what happend was my friend was riding it one day, it was fine until it just locked up, the rear wheels just locked up. He was able to get it back home and all. I'm not sure if bearrings lock up just like that or lose all of their capability so quickly, but then again I don't know much about these things. So ill check for bad grounds around the quad also, make sure all of the connectors are in and things like that

·
ROTM Administrator
1,155 Posts
I think it's electrical like Lycan said, what happend was my friend was riding it one day, it was fine until it just locked up, the rear wheels just locked up. He was able to get it back home and all. I'm not sure if bearrings lock up just like that or lose all of their capability so quickly, but then again I don't know much about these things. So ill check for bad grounds around the quad also, make sure all of the connectors are in and things like that
And last thing, if my bearings were messed up wouldn't my engine light be on?
If the wheels locked up I would say that the engine siezed (and freed up when it cooled down), if it was electrical it would have just stoped fireing from lack of fuel or spark and the wheels would have kept turning until it came to a stop from not being under power, As far as the SES light that will detect electrical and sensor problems not the engine seizing. That would be the same as letting the engine idle and holding the brake and letting the clutch out and stalling the engine, that would not turn the ses light on

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not necessarily, the engine light is triggered by sensors that give inputs to the ecm. Bearings don't do that. Why don't you try removing the 14mm plug from the stator cover and see how the engine rotates by hand. You should feel resistance as the compression stroke moves up but of you feel constant resistance you likely have a bearing siezed. Any nasty metal materials in the oil?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry viper, I didn't see your post, you said what I said already, my bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts